No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of Pi.....by Yann Martell

Ok this isn't a screenwriting book.

I just finished reading it. It won the Booker prize in the UK, and what a worthy winner it was.

Short synop.

Martel's Pi is Piscine Molitor Patel, a boy from Pondicherry, one of the few Indian towns to be colonized by France. Pi is an intelligent, unusual child: he has a scientific turn of mind but is also a practising Hindu, Moslem, and Christian. Pi's family runs a large zoo, but they decide to sell their animals to zoos in the United States and emigrate to Canada. Crossing the Pacific (with their animals), they're shipwrecked halfway between China and Midway. Pi survives, only to find himself sharing a lifeboat with an injured zebra, a spotted hyena, an orangutan, and Richard Parker--an immense Bengal tiger.

Has anyone read this? Think it will make a film?

I've read it... I agree, great book.

I read something about it being adapted for the screen. Probably as an animation due to the difficulty of getting a live tiger to cooperate.

Comment

"Life of Pi" by Yann Martell

Maybe the book, "Max and the Cats" by Moacyr Scliar, that inspired Martell could be produced instead.

artscanada.cbc.ca/artsNow...uid=514361

Comment

Maybe, but it probably isn't as good.

Comment

I saw somewhere this sold for seven figures. Don't know if that's true or not.

Sounds like a great book and a lousy movie. Are the animals going to talk?

Comment

Martell spoke with the screenwriter, and is happy with the way he'll approach the adaptation.

But having read the book, I think it'll be a huge challenge to make it work on film. Not much dialogue, and the setting doesn't change much once they board the lifeboat.

Comment

Working...
            X