Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Rudin in Hollywood Reporter

"Everyone Just Knows He's an Absolute Monster": Scott Rudin's Ex-Staffers Speak Out on Abusive Behavior | Hollywood Reporter

Somehow I knew all this, but having it in black and white makes it seem even more sad and ridiculous. Wonder what will happen?

QUOTE: "...Rudin also has been known to change credits, both as incentive and punishment. Several sources say that the victim of the computer monitor incident received three associate producing credits in addition to a monetary settlement. Others have seen the flip side of Rudin's leverage.

"When they ultimately quit — which they always do at some point — he vindictively goes on IMDb and takes away any credits they may have amassed while working for him," says one producer who hired a traumatized assistant following a Rudin stint and saw the practice play out..."

QUOTE: "... One former Rudin assistant says the producer relished in the cruelty but was able to pivot from berating staff to turning on the charm as soon as talent walked in the door.

"When you feel his spit on your face as he's screaming at you, saying, 'You're worth nothing,' it obviously makes an impact, and we're young," the assistant says. "Over his long career, there are hundreds and hundreds of people who have suffered. And some have given up their dreams because he made them feel and believe that they can't do whatever it is they're trying to do."

Sweet man.

Comment

How do people like this continue to exist.Anyone ever slams a laptop on my hand is getting an assault charge filed against him and punitive damages if he caused a drop of blood to escape my being.

It boggles the mind that he's in business and not jail.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

When I read these stories -- and people are surprised -- I ask myself have you never had a crazy boss? Or hostile work environment? Or reads the news? Politics? I've know plenty of these people in my life. Just most aren't as powerful, so they usually get fired or loss their companies eventually.

We act like it's just Hollywood where monsters are. But they are everywhere. If a man (maybe 1 woman out of a billion) have some power -- even if it's the manager at a local fast food joint -- they can do lots of damage to other people.

That's why it's great most humans are good decent people.

I'm still more concerned by far that some directors are still getting work with the charges against them seem clear that are guilty of even more hideous crimes... changing IMDB credits is not what I think about when I think of abuse we've heard about in Hollywood...

I've been yelled at one the phone by a few Hollywood people. And I didn't even work for them.

I don't condone this crap. I am just surprised that people somehow have lived a life that they haven't met these pieces of sh%t their entire lives.

Just pointing out that Hollywood doesn't have more monsters -- but probably the same number as any business does.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          When I read these stories -- and people are surprised -- I ask myself have you never had a crazy boss? Or hostile work environment? Or reads the news? Politics? I've know plenty of these people in my life. Just most aren't as powerful, so they usually get fired or loss their companies eventually.

We act like it's just Hollywood where monsters are. But they are everywhere. If a man (maybe 1 woman out of a billion) have some power -- even if it's the manager at a local fast food joint -- they can do lots of damage to other people.

That's why it's great most humans are good decent people.

I'm still more concerned by far that some directors are still getting work with the charges against them seem clear that are guilty of even more hideous crimes... changing IMDB credits is not what I think about when I think of abuse we've heard about in Hollywood...

I've been yelled at one the phone by a few Hollywood people. And I didn't even work for them.

I don't condone this crap. I am just surprised that people somehow have lived a life that they haven't met these pieces of sh%t their entire lives.

Just pointing out that Hollywood doesn't have more monsters -- but probably the same number as any business does.
          I dunno. I've worked with monsters on rare occasion. But someone slamming the lid to a laptop ON MY HANDS with enough force to shatter the screen and cause slices into my skin that required an ER visit, is not one I've experienced.

I worked with a highly sexualized, intolerant woman that thought every man wanted to sleep with her--literally. She was so offensive. She once told me after a sensitive training class on harassment and hostile work environments, "It's not my problem how someone takes what I say," I said, "actually it is your problem." But it wasn't, because she was bopping the owner. And she continues to be abusive to people around her.

You're right. There are monsters elsewhere.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Oh no if it happened to you or my own kids -- that person is in deep sh%t. But just hearing the stories -- and horror stories of life and Hollywood -- sadly he's just abusive jerk who still thinks it's the 80s when things like this were more "normal" behavior.

But I guess I'm comparing him to Harvey Weinstein and Rudin almost seems like G rated *******. Both infuriating to me as a human and as a Jew.

And I've had jobs like that. I had one company of 40 people and no joke I think only 10 of us at most didn't sleep with at least one other person at work. 2 top people were a couple... a few girls and a few guys had sex with like 10 people themselves, some overlapping... my best friend Jen at least 3... I was the weird guy with steady GF from HS...

Comment

Read the article. Wow. It's possible abusers like him are able to sense which potential hires are more likely to take their crap. The way sexual predators choose victims.

I once interviewed with the owner of a 20-person ad agency. And he asked the oddest question: "If I criticize your work will you cry and run to the bathroom?"

Since he had been snarky/jokey/sexist out of the gate, it didn't stand out. I said something like: I don't rattle easily.

Then he talked money. He offered a junior level salary yet he wanted a senior level writer. I pointed that out to him and he said, "I know. I'm looking for a bargain."

So that was the end of that. Then I started hearing thru the grapevine he would scream at staff, throw chairs, humiliate people.

And I realized my entire interview may have been a strategy to weed out people who would not take his raging crap.
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I mean let's face facts. More people are abused by their own family than their bosses at work. This is just a sad human reality. I'm lucky my family didn't do real abuse, just Jewish guilt. But still -- the horror stories you hear from friends and the like -- my god.

At least you can quit a job. You can't quit your crazy parents...

Comment

sc111, I think you're right about abusive people able and their ability to target people more prone to accept abuse. I will say that my last boss (COO) never pulled the **** with me he did everyone else. One I never gave him reason to, and second, I think he knew I wouldn't tolerate it. My previous boss, before I started reporting to the COO (his boss) yelled at me, I mean, really yelled at me "hang up, hang up the damn phone," while I was on the phone with a vendor (who could hear the obnoxious tirade), and I was so pissed I got off the call and walked out of the office. When I came back I had only one thing to say. "Do ever speak to me that way again." He never did. This guys was proud of making a kid cry at the airport-- actually said it out loud.

Bono, same thing happened in this office. Everyone sleeping with each other. I think I was the only one that didn't even share my personal life with them nor did I engage with any of them outside of work. It was a real shitshow for years, broken marriages, paybacks, you name it. I was harassed by three different men over the course of that time who seemed to think "no thank you," meant try again.

Some people have this strange perception that they are somehow better than another human being.

Comment

I've never understood the appeal of office affairs.

All of those I've been aware of always ended badly for the woman, one way or another.

Top example: At one agency, the Associate Creative Director started an affair with the CEO's wife after meeting her for the first time at the company Xmas party.

He bragged about it at the office. He particularly liked to tell me details because he "liked me like a sister."

Word got around and the CEO found out. He immediately filed for divorce and custody of their young twins.

The staffer who screwed his wife didn't even lose his job. Worse, she was so smitten, she asked if she could move in with him while her divorce was in progress. He told her she was crazy. It was stranger than fiction.

Another reason I've never had an office affair -- there's never been any guy I've worked that was so irresistibly attractive that I had to "have" him and risk my career.

Like I told my daughter who recently decided to end it with her first serious boyfriend. She was sad, remembering what she liked even though the bad outweighed the good:

Guys are like a bus. You miss one bus, another will be along shortly. ?
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Am I the only romantic on this thread? I've been with the same woman since 1995. My one and only. My libido hates me, but my heart loves her. I should write Hallmark cards.

But I have had a lot of (and I still want to write this idea) "work wives" or "work spouse". Last one was 10 years younger than me and she was for sure like a sister. It helped that she was a lesbian, so we both liked women. Because otherwise I would have to let her down easy. I'm joking. She's the nicest sweetest person I ever met and I love her too.

My last work wife -- from that job where everyone had sex -- is a crazy bitch. But I love her too. She was having an affair with the 22 year old guy she hired while she was 35 and his manager at the time. She looked younger, but still... He had a girlfriend and had sex with at least 3 other girls at that place. He was hot though, I give him that.

I love how this thread has turned into something else. We turned a$$holes into a$$hole lemonade.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post

Bono, same thing happened in this office. Everyone sleeping with each other. I think I was the only one that didn't even share my personal life with them nor did I engage with any of them outside of work. It was a real shitshow for years, broken marriages, paybacks, you name it. I was harassed by three different men over the course of that time who seemed to think "no thank you," meant try again.
                        Good news is at my company in NYC, most everyone was on drugs and it was a recording studio -- so everyone hooking up like it's college was very normal. So no one really got hurt -- it was just insane to me. I made insane jokes, they loved me for that, but I would just go home after work. They all hung out before, during and after work. Went on trips. And I'm like I want to have fun during work, but I don't need to see most of you after work hours.

Comment

Is this who the movie THE ASSISTANT was based on? Anyone who hasn't seen that movie who is remotely interested in the topic of abusive workplaces might want to check it out. It's excellent.

The bad boss in that one may have been more based on Harvey Weinstein. I don't know.

Comment

I guess no one cares?

After Scott Rudin bullying exposé, there are mostly crickets (apnews.com)

Comment

I'm guessing the reason no one in the industry is speaking out is because he didn't abuse any of them. His abuse was primarily with underlings... people his power controlled.

The reason STARS spoke out about Harvey Weinstein is because his abuse was directed at the stars themselves. The same with the Fox News scandal, right? It happened to the personalities and they fought back. Seems in the case of Scott Rudin his abuse was very targeted and well known. Why would a star speak out against him if he's never done anything to them personally? Other than it's the decent thing to do? Could it be because they don't want to risk their careers for a low level employee?

The least the industry could say is, "if these allegations are true they are deplorable and should never be tolerated," how disappointing that people who have power, cannot help those who do not, simply because it's inconvenient for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X