SO...Which Book Is Best For Screenwriting Newbies?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO...Which Book Is Best For Screenwriting Newbies?

Just took a look at another thread about "being sick of books", lol.

Okay, I'm a newbie, whose been writing little fics for years and I have a passion for writing. Usually told that the little fanfics I write are great with involving characters and plotlines, etc. Fast learner.

I don't think I need books on "how to develop interesting characters". I do, however, need something that will show me structure and script terminology, such as FADE IN, etc.

Is David Trottier's The Screenwriter's Bible appropriate?

yes.

Comment

Thanks captain. I've had this book recommended a mil times over so I'm gonna have to get it

Comment

if you just need something to reference regarding format, it's pretty much the book for you. though, after one or two screenplays you probably won't need it anymore.

Comment

Bill Martell's "The Secrets of Action Screenwriting" is really good and very easy to read. What he writes applies to every genre.

www.scriptsecrets.net/products/book.htm

Comment

"How not to write a screenplay." By Denny Finn.

Yup, Martells is a good start.

And any of William Goldman's early books are good too.

"The Writers Journey" By chris Vogler.

EJ

Comment

Thanks guys...

Oh and EJ I had seen that book and was wondering if it was worth it...now I'll go check it out. But first I'll start with the Screenwriter's Bible (which I just ordered) practice, and keep buying books till I have the urge to throw them all out the window >:

Comment

Working...
              X