Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best "How toos, for scripts"

Thinking of buying a book next week, so what would be the best one for my money.

a dictionary

Comment

Story -- Robert McKee

Comment

I'll Second <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Story<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> by Robert McKee.

I recently attended his Weekend Seminar and it was fabulous.

Comment

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> a dictionary<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

:lol

Comment

I think McKee gives the deepest explanation of structure, but I don't think I was ready to understand what he was talking about when I was just starting. (I could be wrong, because I didn't even try to read it as a beginner.) When I was a beginner, though, Michael Hauge's book gave me a good, clear introduction to structure and the art of creating emotion in the audience. It might be smart to try to read a bit of McKee in the bookstore before you plunk your money down.

Comment

Some good beginner books are the Screen Writing Bible by David Trottier (all inclusive guide to writing--from basic story structure to character development to format and getting your script out there)

Dr. Linda Seger's book called 'Making a Good Writer Great' has alot of useful ideas on creative thinking and pushing your imagination.

If you also go to www.scriptsecrets.net (Bill Martell's sites),
              there's a series of books called 'blue books' and they're mini-guides that you can buy on-line that cover everything from writing description to coming up with cool concepts.
              Its a sweet site..check it out.

Cheers,
              Marta

Comment

Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.
                Not Syd Field.

Good rule of thumb: only read books on screenwriting from actual real live working screenwriters.

McKee is also very, very good. Real actual working screenwriters actually take his seminars.

Get the two William Goldman books, McKee, and a few bound screenplays of movies you like and enjoy. All you need.

Comment

I second Trottier.

Comment

McKee is definitely not for beginners.

I say go for the Michael Hauge book. ("Writing
                    Screenplays the Sell.) It presents the "commercial"
                    Hollywood structure in a simple and lucid manner.

I'm not claiming that it is brilliant, but I think it's the
                    best book for beginners.

After you get the hang of structure, you can move
                    on to McKee.

Comment

I advocate William Froug's *Screenwriting Tricks of the Trade* as an outstanding first book on the craft of screenwriting. 1/3 preplanning (IMO, truly outstanding), 1/3 writing, and 1/3 selling the script (a lite dose of info here). It's a slim little volume, with a you-can-do-it tone, not a 900-pound monster of a book.

Comment

I suggest Opening The Doors To Hollywood, Inside Hollywood; A Screenwriter's Guide To LA, get the 2002 HCD guide, The Writer Got Screwed, But Didn't Have To, Writing Screenplays That Sell, and Screenwriting by Richard Walter.

Comment

A little advice on screenwriting books from someone who has a couple dozen. After reading several you start to notice you're reading the same stuff over and over. I'm at a point where I pick up a new book and I don't even look at what's in it. I read the authors credit on the back and when I see he/her credits consisting of "professor and consultant" I put it back. I'm not assuming that just because they haven't sold something I've seen that they don't know anything, or that I know more than they do, but those books are almost always the same basics on structure, format, querying, etc., that's in every other screenwriting book, a ton of which I already have. If you don't have any of these books then by all means pick one up but be warned, after awhile they start to read the same.

In hindsight, if I could only have five screenwriting books:

1.)The Basics: "David Trottier, Screenwriters Bible". Dr. Format himself.

2.)Structure and Character: "Robert McKee, Story." 'Nuff said.

3.)What Not to Do: "How Not to Write a Screenplay, Advice From A Hollywood Reader" by Denny Martin Flinn. This book is awesome! The writer is hilarious and I learned that a lot of my "original ideas" and "great scenes" would have been the kiss of death to my script becase they get a hundred of them a week. An eye opener, gives you a new appreciation for what those poor bastards have to do every day and how to get past that first filter.

4.)When you feel like a rebel: "Writing against the rules, by Ken Dancyger and Jeff Rush". The latter gentleman was a professor of mine at Temple U. in Philly. A real artsy/doc school where Hollywood aspirations are frowned upon. Book looks at unconventional scripts and characters and what worked and what didn't. I'm always hearing how sick writers are of the dumbed-down, formulated scripts Hollywood loves and how they want to write differently. If you fit in this category this book is worth a look. Available at Focal Press.

5.)...and when your all done: "Skip Press, Screenwriters guide to Hollywood agents, managers, etc". Not about sceenwriting at all but what to do when you finish the damn thing by a writer/producer who's been around for a while. Funny and insightful with a focus on finding success outside of Hollywood with the help of the net. Has a new edition out for 2002-2003.

Just a few of my favorites. Happy shopping.

Comment

McKEE

McKee, McKee, McKee. Guess I'm not the only one...

Comment

Also

As an intermediate offering I like Tom Lazarus0] , highly practical "Secrets of film writing".

Comment

Working...
                              X