Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real books you're reading...

Seeing how no one has posted in this spot for a while, I thought I'd try to bring a little attention back to this corner of the board.

What're you reading right now? And by reading I don't mean the trades or your buddies latest spec. I mean the reading for you, the reading to keep that brain charged.

I just finished Choke by Chuck Palhuniuk and Word Freak by Stephen Fatsis. I highly recommended both although Choke may not sit well with uber-feminists and Word Freak should be avoided by obsessive-compulsive types who love words (The book just makes you want to play and play and play Scrabble, that damn time sucker).

Just started a little book called "Getting Away with It" which is a mixture of Steven Sodebergh interviewing Richard Lester (director of A Hard Day's Night) and Sodebergh's diary around the time Schizopolis came out. It's really great.

Next up? The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy. I loved American Tabloid and can't wait to jump on into that world again.

And hey if melding the above four books, you can think of something else I should read, I'd love to hear about it.

Clomey

P.S. For those of you in the greater L.A. area: You gotta love the Los Angeles Public Library and its wonderful website www.lapl.org. It's like Amazon for the poor and the heavily indebted. Check it out if you haven't already.

P.P.S. Anyone know if American Tabloid is set up anywhere?

I'm cheating a bit here... David Simon's Homicide: A year on the killing streets.

It was the book that inspired the TV series Homicide: Life on the Street.

Only on pg 230 of some 600, and it's all good so far.

EJ

Comment

'The Tomb of Horrors'. fantasy fiction, but it's damn good. I ripped through it in about 1/2 a day.

Comment

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> being dead,<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> jim crace
        <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> carter beats the devil,<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> glen david gold
        <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> dispatches from the tenth circle,<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> robert siegel (editor)
        <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> the case against christianity,<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> michael martin

Comment

how's carter beats the devil?

Comment

Background to Danger -Eric Ambler
            The Machine in Ward Eleven - Charles Willeford

and Edward Bond

Comment

clomey: so far i'm digging it. i'll post a review here when i finish it -- which may be a while, though, as i'm in the process of moving.

Comment

Real books you're reading...

BERLIN NOIR, BY Phillip Kerr

A trilogy of novels about a non-nazi private eye working in the Hitler era Berlin.

Not bad.

Comment

The Devil Soldier by Caleb Carr

About an American mercenary who became the de facto general of China's troops in the 1800's while fighting the bloodiest civil war in history.

Great read, Carr knows his military history and did a good job researching that period in China. Not a light complement from me either as that time period in Chinese history was my area of specialization in college.

Dusty

Comment

The Princess by Lori Wick

It's about an arranged marriage and the issues that revolve around being in that predicament.

It's actually the 2nd go around for me. If it was a movie...it would be a bonafide "chick-flick".

Comment

right now I'm reading Ender's Game and Crime and Punishment. I'll most likely finish enders game tommorow[which i started today by the way] and then I'll start reading Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Comment

After having read only screenwriting books for the past year, I finally picked up a noel for fun.

"Tell No One," a thriller by Harlan Coben. It was so good, I finished it in two days.

Comment

Re: Real books you're reading...

_Swords Against Death_ by Fritz Lieber.

Classic Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser. Good stuff.

Comment

ANNA KARENINA by Leo Tolstoy
                            It's a new translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. You want "voice," you can find it here. I've been re-reading assigned books from high school and college to see if I still hate them (or love them) and why. This one just burns with passion and vision... definitely love renewed.

sj

Comment

Duty, Honor, Country - Stephen Ambrose.

Comment

Working...
                              X