• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Pick A Future Article!

Originally posted by billythrilly7
    Executive Decision

Awesome movie. Arab terrorists.

This movie is on Encore right now.

Bill, I would like to see an article about horror movie endings (and how none of the usual rules apply).

Also, the difference between coincidence and contrivance.

And pov in suspense movies.

That should keep you busy.

Comment

bill, i think an interesting article would be the changes you've witnessed since you began writing your first column. how you've adapted, etc. how your views on different things have evolved or changed, or stayed the same, etc.

and what seems the same fifteen years later through somewhat different eyes looking at a somewhat different place.

bedrock sort of stuff and whatnot.

Comment

I think AnconRangers suggestion would make very interesting reading.

EJ

Comment

I would like more articles about writers who are not based in Los Angeles. We all know LA is where it happens but I'd like to hear about the minority that writes from outside the city limits as well. Maybe the opportunities in other large markets like NYC, SF, Seattle...etc.

I would like to read articles about writers who are writers and not just biding their time to be directors.

I'm sure it's been done but I'd like to read a bit more about TV staff writers and the heirarchies involved. I consider myself a feature writer but I'm attracted to TV in some ways.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by theblondewritr
            An Interview with Larry McMurtry.
            Try the Nov 2005 issue.
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Thanks William! 'Ask and ye shall receive'. What a concept!
              si

Comment

How about a list of bad movies, what went wrong, and how to fix/avoid such problems.

Comment

More beefcake photo-spreads of Bill.

Comment

Bill,

I like anconrangers idea... Also, I was sort of wondering why you don't write an article why you haven't gone main stream since(I don't know this for sure) but all the flicks you wrote are all direct to video.

Comment

It's hard to know what to suggest when I don't know what ground you've covered.

How about "scripts to read to answer the most common new screenwriter questions." Read these 10 scripts -- maybe ones that are all available for free online -- before you ask questions such as "how do I write a scream?"

Comment

Some great suggestions - keep 'em coming!

I won't be writing any articles about how bad writers can break in (the obvious answer is to improve your writing). But thanks to a couple of posts here I will be doing an article that answers why horror scripts are hot and why Arab terrorists are not (all about how events in the real world influence what sells in the script world).

I like the top ten scripts idea, but it sounds labor intensive - I'd have to re-read hundreds of scripts to select the 10 best... and Scr(i)pt pays me pizza and beer money.

The changing world of film production might be interesting, too. I'd be afraid, though, that as soon as they printed the article things would change again. Though maybe some of this might end up in that Horror/Arab Terrorist article.

It might also be interesting to write an article about all of the scripts I've sold to studio based producers that would have been big theatrical movies... if they were ever made. But you run into kiss&tell problems - I don't want to burn any bridges. Most scripts that are sold *do not get made*. I lucked into the cable explosion, when USA Net and HBO and Showtime and Cinemax were making films like crazy.... and when they bought my scripts they made them.

One of the things I'm looking for are craft aspects that you'd like to know more about.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Bill Martell - A great idea. You are a man of the people.

A huge thread which has been heating up over the last week has been on contests and how valid they are.

Perhaps you could do an article which explores this issue and perhaps some research into a sample of contests and how they do/don't deliver?

For many new writers who believe this is an avenue for breaking in it would be a topic which would be very well recieved.

However, it could cost you your life should you expose the conspiracies of just how high the chain of contest collaborators go...
                          I wanna tell you about the time I almost died....

Comment

Martell, how about this:

Using perhaps Serenity or The Magnificent Seven as a basis, how can a screenwriter effectively introduce a large (8-9 major characters) group without a ton of wasted introduction?

Also, using 4 Brothers and A Bug's Life as a basis, how about an article on effectively stripping a solid concept from one genre to create a new film in another?

Comment

Working...
                            X