No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da Vinci Code

Originally posted by The White Album
    I would never accuse a writer of being picky when it comes to words. But if it's grammatical errors you saw -- don't you think that's also the fault of the editor/publisher? When I say clear and concise -- I meant it was written in a way where everybody (smart and dumb) could grasp the numerous ideas wrapped around the narrative. That's all. I never said it was great. Just harmless fun.
    "The jacquard bathrobe hanging on his bedpost bore the monogram: HOTEL RITZ PARIS."
    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Brough! I forgot about that one! No evidence of a writer, no evidence of an editor. Ka-ching! Here comes da money!

White, sitting down and "writing something like it" isn't what a guy who's been writing as long as I have does. I have my themes, I have my style, I have the kind of characters I enjoy exploring. It'd be like me sitting down to write "Titanic", because it made a ton of dough.

One sinking ship is enough.

Comment

Some friends of mine, Katie and Lou, who live in Houston gave me this book to read. They were both really exicted to have me read it, they really wanted to talk about the themes of the book.

They both have business degree's and feel they missed out by not taking more literature classes in college.

It took me about 8 combined hours to read the book.

when they came back up the next month to visit, I gave them the book back. Katie asked, "didn't you just love it? so complex and interesting."

I stared at her for a moment and said, "I mean this in the most snobby, elitist way I can: I read literature, not ****."

After that, they started asking me for book recomendations. I've been taking them on a slow tour of the good stuff in 20th century American storytelling.

Katie called me last week to tell me that she tried to reread the DaVinci code before the movie came out.

She stopped after the first chapter.

Comment

I don't have time to pore over Brown's convolution. I tried five pages and threw it away. Besides, this is not a new story.

BTW, isn't Jake one of the few people here who actually gets paid for the words he's published? What a concept. An expert! I should probably listen.
          Writers write to be read, right?

Comment

I felt violated after one chapter. Horrible writing. Superficial claptrap with less real emotion than a can of Dr Pepper. One of the very few books I have never finished.
            http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

I forced myself to read this book, since my genre of choice as a screenwriter is Spiritual Thriller. Yeah, several parts felt like an extended trip to the dentist office. I actually found myself pretending that reading bad writing might make be a better writer (My internal dialogue while reading the book :"Oh, look how he wrote that - don't ever embarass yourself like that, Sandy!"), instead of the process killing of my "good writer" brain cells.

The book had good ideas - no idea if they are original to Brown.

I will go see the movie.

My education does make it hard for me to read most bestselling novels (B.A. in English Lit, M.L.S. in Library Science, A.A. degree in Theatre).

But, I will endure bad writing if the plot intrigues me. I still haven't decided if reading it will effect my writing adversely. It is one of my fears!

My hope is that I'm in for an enjoyable movie experience.

-Sandy
              Last edited by peasblossom; 04-19-2006, 07:05 PM.
              sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

P.S. Le Carre' makes me feel like a total neophyte - he is an amazing writer.

-Sandy
                sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

The reviews coming in are tepid. Actually, I'm disappointed -- but not surprised. Disappointed because I really like Ron Howard and the cast -- and I also enjoyed the book. Not surprised because the book didn't seem to lend itself well to the big screen. The book was full of lengthy exposition. in the form of long stretches of dialogue. The puzzles and history, which took pages upon pages to explain, are more cerebral than visual. Yes, it was a page turner, but not because of action sequences -- but more because I wanted to see where the next piece of the puzzle would take me. The biggest puzzle to me was how Ron Howard would translate it to the big screen. Apparently, he didn't do a great job after all.

Comment

Working...
                  X