Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comic Books, Graphic Novels

I recently started reading Ex Machina (by Brian K. Vaughan), and picked up the first two Y: The Last Man. Also started on The Surrogates (damn cool so far), with Watchmen and Wanted on the backburner.

What if any comics or graphic novels have you read that are worth checking out or that you recommend?

Re: Comic Books, Graphic Novels

*cough*filmboard*cough*
    "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Transmetropolitan, Sandman, and my personal favorite 100 Bullets.
      The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

100 Bullets (first trade paperback is still readily available - arguably the best "non-superhero" title in print today)

The Walking Dead (same as above)

Kickback (a cool little crime Graphic Novel that fell under the radar a few years back - published by Dark Horse)

Fear Agent (a sci-fi series about a guy who protects Earth by killing all those pesky Aliens. Lots of fun and some wonderful artwork)

Girls ( hard to describe this one without it sounding kind of silly. Better to just read the first issue online for free - http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline....ver&resize=now)

The Nightly News (As an act of violence spirals out of control to encompass the entirety of the news media, a cult emerges from the errors and retractions that have ruined careers, marriages and even lives. Amazing artwork too - first issue here - http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline....ver&resize=now)

The Cross Bronx (a gritty crime drama - first issue for free here - http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline....ver&resize=now)

Fell (by Warren Ellis - the guy Hans adapting and Ben Templesmith - the artist on 30 days of night - first issue here - http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline....ver&resize=now)

There's tons more I could reference, but I gotta go make some lunch.

Enjoy.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

READ SLEEPER by ED BRUBAKER

It just signed with WARNER this morning.

Also read his CRIMINAL series.
          sigpic

Comment

I've noticed on all the numerous discussions of graphic novels around here, Sandman gets no love. Absolutely none at all.
            The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

The Sandman is just required reading, whether you like comic books or not.

Also excellent are:
              The Crow
              Hellblazer
              Bear
              100 Bullets
              Preacher
              Johnny The Homicidal Maniac
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
                *cough*filmboard*cough*
                umm in case you havent noticed hollywood's been churning out comic book based movies for some time now. some of the books mentioned here already have been made into movies, some of the others are in the process of being made, and most of the rest are just damn good and probably will be translated at some point down the line.

anyways wire, it depends on what genre you like but judging from what you've mentioned so far i'd suggest these (in addition to most of the ones others have mentioned)

DMZ - set in the near future with a journalist trapped inside NYC during an american civil war

immortal iron fist

powers - by brian michael bendis, pretty much a gritty, noirish comic about two cops who have to police a city full of super people

silver surfer: requiem - absolutely gorgeous story with gorgeous art, you dont have to know much about the surfer at all, it's a self-contained story about him dying.

Comment

Maus.

Read Art Spiegelman's Maus.

You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Comic Books, Graphic Novels?

MISTER X

For some reason, the name intrigues me, but that's where my interest in it ends.
                    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I now know what to tell my family and friends to get me for my upcoming birthday.

A combination of 100 Bullets, Criminal, Fell and Powers.

Who was read Y, Ex Machina, Surrogates?

Oh, and is Global Frequency a good read?

Comment

One that nobody's mentioned: Fables.

Comment

Re: Comic Books, Graphic Novels?

Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                          MISTER X

For some reason, the name intrigues me, but that's where my interest in it ends.

The creator of the character is one of my associates and greatest mentors.

He's rekindling his MISTER X series, and having the previous works published in TPB's.
                          sigpic

Comment

Comic Books, Graphic Novels!

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                            The creator of the character is one of my associates and greatest mentors.

He's rekindling his MISTER X series....
                            Originally posted by Fortean View Post
                            ...that's where my interest in it ends.
                            I prefer the "non-fiction" adventures of the veritable Mr. X, myself; that is, if there is something that is "non-fiction."

"A library-myth that irritates me most is the classification of books under 'fiction' and 'non-fiction.'" ~ Charles Hoy Fort, Wild Talents (ch. 5)
                            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Comic Books, Graphic Novels?

Everything said, with a heavy emphasis on Maus (!!!!!) and Watchmen (get on that!!).

Also, Scud the Disposable Assassin. Seriously. So cool.

Edit: also, the first volume of Marvel's Runaways is a great graphic novel. It is Brian K. Vaughn, after all.
                              For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                              Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Working...
                              X