No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriting guru McKee says Hollywood is finished

Link to article
    Last edited by ComicBent; 11-22-2008, 07:56 AM. Reason: To make using the link easier.

Re: Screenwriting guru McKee says Hollywood is finished

Does this mean his book doesn't work?

Comment

Thanks for posting Norm.

This is the best part of the article --

"The world of a story must be small enough that you can become the God in it," he said. "If you have a huge canvas it's impossible to be the God of that universe and you'll write cliches."
      You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
      Paul Harvey
      -
      -
      -

Comment

Interesting piece, actually. When I lived in England in the late 70s, TV was the place where all writers went--screenwriters, playwrights and novelists (not to mention those who wrote radio drama). We were well-served by great directors and actors, and the work hit the screen faster than it would have had it been produced for the big screen. Of course, the British film industry was, until "Chariots of Fire", doing very little. Hence TV.

And it became a stepping-stone to feature-film writing.

Comment

McKee is a crock. That guy is so full of sh*t. His nonsense ramblings about inter-reverse motivational protagonists and multi-dimensional breakaway arcs is so ridiculous as to seem desperate. This guy tries to turn screenwriting into a math program. I feel sorry for young writers who stumble across his book and use it as a bible.

I do like how he says the writer is the most important part of production however, suggesting that anyone who doesn't believe him bring a director 120 blank pages and tell him to "direct this".
          Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think his book has a lot on good info. You just gotta cut through all the hyperbole.

Comment

I have this theory that if Lola didn't have orange hair, nobody would've ever heard of Run Lola Run. I'm completely serious. Think about it. If she just had brown hair...that movie would've been nothing.
              Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

The article is short and worth reading.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                  I think his book has a lot on good info. You just gotta cut through all the hyperbole.
                  *nods in agreement*

Even his comments in this article has merit... just take what you can use and discard the rest.

And it does seem that TV is making a larger impact over movies lately.
                  "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly." - Newt

AlexThompsonWriter.com

Comment

Working...
                  X