Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Books To Recommend

Like many of you, my main source of fiction has been screenplays. Can anyone recommend some worthwhile fantasy oriented books, preferably novellas?
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Fantasy Books To Recommend

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    Like many of you, my main source of fiction has been screenplays. Can anyone recommend some worthwhile fantasy oriented books, preferably novellas?
    Anything by Neil Gaiman.

And Piers Anthony isn't bad either.
    Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Ok, this is an old post but I can't resist.

Neil Gaiman is good. Piers Anthony is too fluffy for me. Go with Terry Pratchett if you want comic fantasy.

I'd start with "A Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin, the first of "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Traditional high fantasy but very entertaining and well done. Like a thriller/soap-opera with epic battles. Also, it's being made into a miniseries on HBO so there's a connection to screenwriting.

"The Knight" and "The Wizard" by Gene Wolfe.
      Takes well-worn fantasy tropes and reinvents them. Surreal, simple and beautiful.

The Thomas Covenant series by Steven Donaldson
      Start with "Lord Foul's Bane"
      Rather intense, character-driven fantasy

If you want shorter stuff, Donaldson has some excellent collections of short stories.

For "modern fantasy", my favorites are Kelly Link and Jeffrey Ford. These are more "magical realism" type stuff, not so much "swords and pub brawls".
      Some of Link's books are available online, for free:
      http://kellylink.net/
      They are dark surrealistic bon-bons.

Comment

I read the first couple Drzzzt Do'Urden books by R.A. Salvatore... I thought that was pretty cool stuff. A hard core D&D Dark Elves underworld saga, but the novels are probably as accessible as need be for nongamers.
        - - - - - - -
        Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

I second the RA Salvatore books. He writes great characters and fantastic action. Quick reads too.

Comment

Working...
          X