Is Viki King's books how to write in 21 days any good?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Viki King's books how to write in 21 days any good?

Is Viki King's books how to write in 21 days any good? Who here has used it for a first draft?
    I post too much.

Re: Is Viki King's books how to write in 21 days any good?

It didn't work for my brain, but I'm sure it might for some. There is no quick and easy way to write a screenplay without having to rewrite and polish at some point, so it shouldn't be used as a way to 'get it over with'.
    Best, Linda
    LA
    Check out my animated feature available on VOD:
    www.TheGridZom.com

Comment

I really like that book. It's babbly and useful and encouraging. I specifically remember an old Sopranos episode where Christopher (?) was reading the book and it had already been six months or something... but that's the reality of re-writing and making it great. I say it's worth reading.

Comment

As silly as the book is-- no way you're writing a script from scratch in 21 days-- it was the first book I ever read that suggested breaking up act two in more manageable bites.

It was the sequencing method, 10 years before that became popular.

Comment

I skimmed it once, and while I don't think her method of breaking up a script works for me, I do like the idea of sitting down to write every day for 21 days, knowing you'll have a draft at the end. I can do anything for 21 days. It's when things are open-ended and I don't have any structure or deadlines that I tend to shut down and do nothing.

Comment

Blake Snyder mentions it positively in Save the Cat... it was worth a read for that reason alone... good for simplifying the process but not likely the best way to go about writing from scratch.
            Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

I found it tremendously helpful when I wrote my first script. It was like a little writing coach, and it got past all the mechanics of formatting and into the heart of things, so you understood where your story was really coming from. But it still made you deal with all the details, too.

I'm not one to like "how-to" books, but I think this one is very good.

Comment

I'm going through it right now to work on the revision process before I submit my screenplays into contests and it has helped me tremendously. It's worth a read at least.
                I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                X