Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to blog ?

I know many DDers have blogs and I salute that! In the next coming months, I would like to create a blog to write fiction, essentially providing chapters or partial chapters of a fictional work that explores a professional and cultural milieu that is kind of unusual and which, I think, has a lot of potential as entertainment and hopefully thought provoking material as well. Rather than laboring over a novel for years and then going through the arduous task of trying to get it published, I really love the idea of being able to be creative while getting your work out there on a day to day basis and actually having it read, whether there is a paycheck in the future or not.

Ideally I would want the blog to be hosted by a website that already has large viewership in the literary, cultural and arts communities. After seeing JULIE AND JULIA I immediately checked out Salon.com, which is where that particular story began and which would of course have been the perfect host, but sadlly they no longer offer blogging.

Any ideas of other literary / cultural websites / magazines that offer such services and draw those kinds of audiences? And if your blog is hosted on a basic blog site instead of a site associated with a known entity, like a newspaper or e-zine, how do you go about getting the word out? Just word of mouth or are there other internet marketing strategies? I confess I don't really know how this works... Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Rantanplan; 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM.

Re: How to blog ?

Hey Rant,

I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to do. Are you saying you want to write for another site? Because it sounds like you're saying you want your blog hosted on a major site, which I'd assume means they'd have to "hire" you. Or at least approve you.

I think the best route to go is just open up a blog on Wordpress (NOT BLOGGER!) and start blogging. If it's good and interesting, you'll start to get noticed, and when you "apply" to these professional sites, you'll have a virtual resume to back you up.

Just start blogging. What are you waiting for? What is anybody waiting for??
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't think the bloggers hosted by Salon were necessarily Salon writers. It was a paid service that was offered and that is no longer offered, perhaps because now everybody has a blog, who knows. Anyway I was just trying to be a little more specific since my intention is not to write a personal blog about my life and thoughts but rather to write fiction and try to draw an internet audience. So that's what I'm researching. I know there are sites like Publishersmarketplace.com where you can pay to have your blog listed on a site read by industry people, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible on all the options out there.

I love YOUR blog by the way And I say this as someone who generally speaking does not read blogs...

Comment

For the inexperienced multitudes... why's wordpress better than blogger?

Comment

Just in case you haven't considered using Blogger, here it is.

Comment

Working...
          X