No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A-List Screenwriting Blog

Hey Joe,
    Where you going with that post in your hand?

I am in a tricky situation. On these boards, you have had little but latent and blatant venom to spit in my direction, so I sort of feel like I am in a lose-lose situation. Also, you have been a customer at least twice of contests I have run so I am (possibly) legally obligated but definitely inclined by my own standards to not really fight back or get into a nasty exchange with you.

But I will address a few things.

I have one paragraph late in my consulting home page about my personal work. I don't really think that I am implying that I am a famous filmmaker. I later say that that experience helps me as a teacher, which I think is true. The little bit about my filmmaking is to round out my experience. And if you are an indie filmmaker making a low budget film, my experience is actually REALLY relevant, if even for the failures of my films to make a profit.

If you think that the second to last paragraph of my bio page which is the only place I mention March, I think, should be cut I would take that under consideration.

I feel like I have a pretty impeccable record as a teacher and story analyst. I have clients who are some of the biggest names in Hollywood. (I may be inclined to reveal the page count on the NDAs). I have clients who have sold projects to Spielberg, Scorsese and, among others, Roland Emmerich. As part of the original Creative Screenwriting regime, I taught thousands of people at the Expo, directed more than 40 dvds on screenwriting, reported on every spec sale over a several year period and wrote one of the best-selling DVDs (Killer Endings) when it was in that series.

I think there is a cool thread going on about coverage below and it has been pretty civil. And I am excited about that.

If you look at my howtowriteascreenplay.net pages as well as the last four months of my newsletter and the articles at my sites, I easily have a magazine's worth of stuff on the web that is absolutely free. If you want more screenwriting advice my blog is also free.

If writers want to have me read a script and consider it for prizes in the Champion Contest, they can enter for about $50. And then if they advance, I get paid (this year) about $8 per hour to read their (1 of 80) scripts.

Writers can have me teach them via my DVDS for about $12 per hour. I also offered to mail up to 100 copies for free to entrants in the Scriptshadow contest.

edited: If a writer wants a few pages of coverage, there are people on this board who do a great job for under $100. They don't need to hire me.

If writing is a hobby for a writer and it's not taken seriously, then that writer shouldn't hire me for the $70-100 per hour my rate works out to be.

If someone takes their writing seriously and wants to get intense feedback either because they have a legitimate shot at selling a script or they are being paid to write, well, I offer services that are really appropriate to them and have pretty loyal and recurring clientele. Sometimes writers who aren't really that close to selling a script want to use my 20 pages of notes as a learning tool. They are allowed to.

I also have clients who use the services on the boards AND my services simultaneously. I even referred a client to ScriptShadow.

I don't currently do any advertising outside of my newsletter, but maybe I should. I would much rather work only with good and working writers and help them go from good to great. But, alas, I make myself available for anyone to hire me. If that makes me a scam artist in your eyes, well then let's agree to disagree and I won't ever respond to your posts again.

I am also a better teacher than script consultant. The weeklong classes where I get to interact with people is where I have changed people's lives and made them cry tears of joy. Those classes always lose money but I still do them. Now, I am going to start offering them as private classes for the qfs of the contest, so I don't have to really sell any seats to make them viable.

I hope that allows you some insight into my perspective.

Peace,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Mercurio; 11-10-2009, 07:35 AM. Reason: Clarify intent/tone

Comment

One additional thing: I think promoting a work or helping a writer with connections has nothing to do with being a story analyst. And I don't offer or suggest any of that in my pitch as a story analyst.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
        If a dilettante writer wants a few pages of coverage or notes, there are some people on this board who do a great job for under $100. They shouldn't hire me.

If writing is a hobby for a writer and it's not taken seriously, then that writer shouldn't hire me for the $70-100 per hour my rate works out to be.

If someone takes their writing seriously and wants to get intense feedback either because they have a legitimate shot at selling a script or they are being paid to write, well, I offer services that are really appropriate to them and have pretty loyal and recurring clientele. Sometimes writers who aren't really that close to selling a script want to use my 20 pages of notes as a learning tool. They are allowed to.

I'm glad that you have a paying clientele and I wish you all the best, but I think this is absolute nonsense-largely because you present it as an absolute. Every writer has a different process. Some pro writers might want to pay for notes. Some might think that they get quite enough feedback from their manager and agent and producer and development executive and director and star and the star's best friend. Once you reach a certain level this is not an industry that suffers from a lack of notes.

My process involves sending an early draft to friends at various levels in the industry for general reads. On my most recent script I also paid the Evil Robot 60 bucks for coverage, which was a ludicrous bargain. A few pages of notes is perfect for me; some broad strokes about what is and is not working in the script. I consider it my job to take those broad strokes and find the solutions, and I think there are plenty of other writers who share my process. Does that make us "dilettante writers- or just a different kind of professional?

I guess that I, like many others, am a little jaded about the industry that has sprung up around amateur screenwriting. I understand why teachers and gurus need to sell the idea that if you just buy their book or podcast or pay for their notes that you will eventually sell a big script, but it's just not true. There's no one route to learning this craft-so implying that people should hire you if they "take their writing seriously- is just pure moonshine.

As far as I can tell, there are only three absolutes: aspiring screenwriters need to study the craft, write a ton, and eventually find professional feedback. It's up to the individual whether they tackle the first item in graduate school at USC or by buying a book and browsing Done Deal. Likewise, it's up to the individual whether they seek feedback by paying a guru or befriending a script reader or making contacts in a mailroom. Because ultimately there is no one route to success, and to imply anything else is, at best, disingenuous.

Comment

MCear,
          All I said was that my services were appropriate for serious writers. If there is something demeaning in my post to writers or coverage providers, I will edit.

Jim

Comment

MCear,
            All I said was that my services were appropriate for serious writers. If there is something demeaning in my post to writers or coverage providers, I will edit.

Jim
            If you really believe this, you should look up the meaning of "dilettante" before using it again. Guys like Evil Robot work too hard for a fair price to deserve the backhanded slap. But I appreciate the edit.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
              I know many talented writers not making any money who have great agents working hard to get them their first gig. The agents repped them based on their talent and what they project them to make in the future.

Mercurio positions himself as a critically acclaimed writer/director on his site and even quotes a gushy review for one of his films. He directly references his filmmaking and screenwriting background as a way to tout his qualifications and convince people he's worth paying as a script consultant.

Since he does all of the above and tries to use his writing and directing career as validation for his script consulting career, I felt that asking him who he was repped by was certainly a fair and relevant question.
              First, I'll say that I don't really like the idea of using ANY coverage or paid consulting service. Despite the fact that one of my friends is probably considered one of the best people out there and I adore her, I think that if a writer can't develop the necessary resources and community to get the feedback they need then they are probably not suited for this business. I also think that they have a vested interest in keeping clients "happy" which often means sugarcoating things.

However, moving beyond that, I think you have a point in bringing up the notion that teachers and consultants should be proven experts at what they are teaching, but you might also consider the idea that the greatest coaches often were not the greatest players in the game. They are different skill sets. Mercurio may not be the best writer out there, but he may have made a study of the craft that allows him to articulate for people why their material may be falling short. So, I don't see that having an agent or not having an agent proves or disproves his having a great coaching skill set.

Again, I say all that as someone who doesn't like the whole notion of screenwriting consultants. Hell, I don't think writers should even go to film school.

Comment

I’ve taken my swipes at Jim on this board but I have to say he comes across as a nice, sincere guy. One who believes he’s helping writers. Most consultants are probably just as sincere.

But like Mr Earbrass above, I’m suspicious of the industry that’s sprung up around aspiring screenwriters. It's gotten so ridiculous with the books, DVD, Expos, seminars etc… All seem designed to take money from aspiring writers.

I have no problem with someone teaching someone else a skill—an experienced person imparting their knowledge. Teaching is a noble calling. And I agree that analysis/critiquing & giving notes is a different skill set than writing a screenplay.

The problem is, a lot of the people out there putting themselves forward as "experts" are selling snake oil-- very expensive snake oil. They are telling aspiring writers, "If you follow my advice, philosophy and methods, you'll sell your script & find success as a screenwriter".

That, to me, is a bunch of hot air. The people who take these seminars & go on to have careers would have succeeded on their own, without any help from consultants or gurus.

Consultants are not part of the success equation. They want to make you believe they are, but they aren't.

What aspiring writers need to keep in mind is that consultants & gurus are a recent phenomenon. Screenwriters learned how to write scripts, & sold those scripts to studios, long before there was a consultant industry.

The best writers figured out what they needed to know on their own, by writing scripts, watching movies, reading other people's scripts, having a circle of friends they can bounce stuff off of... If you have the storytelling ability and work hard, you can find success w/o spending hundreds or thousands of dollars. You are your own best teacher.

Talented writers don't need consultants... consultants need insecure writers.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Hey Joe,
                  Where you going with that post in your hand?

I am in a tricky situation. On these boards, you have had little but latent and blatant venom to spit in my direction, so I sort of feel like I am in a lose-lose situation. Also, you have been a customer at least twice of contests I have run so I am (possibly) legally obligated but definitely inclined by my own standards to not really fight back or get into a nasty exchange with you.
                  This is funny to me. You bring this up why? I entered a couple scripts in the 2006 Expo competition, correct….a year after I started screenwriting…that’s relevant to this thread how? I hope you’re not trying to imply I’m some jaded former contest entrant with an axe to grind or devalue me as a screenwriter in any way. I wouldn’t think you’d want to get into some sort of pissing match or career comparison with me regarding screenwriting because, frankly, you’ll only wind up getting pissed on and then pissed off. And you know that.

Since you brought it up, I’ll explain whatever venom you accused me of spitting your way.

First off, you are constantly promoting your paid services on this free board. Now I don’t run the board and have no affiliation with it whatsoever but I do have an attachment to it. I came here back in 2005 when I first started screenwriting. I got great free advice from posters like TaoTropics, creativexec, and many others. I come here now because I know it’s a place that new writers (like I once was) are drawn to and a place where I can hopefully share my knowledge and have a positive impact on them just like Tao and CE had a positive impact on me. Call me a sucker, but a certain part of me feels like I owe the board that. I’ve hit certain benchmarks in terms of my screenwriting career in a relatively short period of time and I know more success is soon to come. I feel very fortunate, Jim, and I also feel a desire to give back to this community. That’s why I come here.

I sort of cringe when I see that the majority of your posts are either promoting your so called “free” services (which are not so subtly used to promote your “pay” services), your contest, or your paid services. It’s almost as though you look at this board as nothing more than a pool of potential paying customers. Every post…every thread…is designed and written to direct people to a place that promotes your pay services or to simply remind people that you are a script “guru”. The predatory nature of that dynamic sort of sickens me.

A lot of new screenwriters come here to learn about the craft. Many are desperate for some sort of edge. Many are willing to go to great lengths to get that perceived edge. They’re susceptible to the power of suggestion…the type of subtle suggestion you made in an earlier post when you implied that any screenwriter who is serious about screenwriting should pay your fee to show that they’re serious. Let’s look at your fees, Jim…

SCRIPT COACHING.
                  PRICE: $2,500

BASIC COVERAGE
                  PRICE: $300
                  (add $3 per page for scripts over 120 pages)

COMPREHENSIVE SCRIPT ANALYSIS
                  PRICE: $750
                  (add $5 per page for scripts over 120 pages)

PROFESSIONAL SCRIPT ANALYSIS.
                  PRICE: $1,200
                  (add $5 per page for scripts over 120 pages)

TREATMENT ANALYSIS.
                  PRICE: $250

SCRIPT MENTORING
                  PRICE: $4,000

The guy that charges $60 a script review in one thing. He knows he’s just offering an opinion and he knows this is all pretty much subjective and one man’s garbage is another man’s gold, etc and he charges accordingly and appropriately. He’s not looking to fleece anybody or get rich. He’s just probably looking to make a little side cash or something and likes reading scripts.

You, on the other hand, are charging these people THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for your opinion and you freely admit that’s all they’re getting. You’re not sending their work to any contacts. You’re not doing anything concrete to advance their career in any way. If you were, you wouldn’t rub me the wrong way as much as you do. All you’re doing is positioning yourself as somebody with some super special knowledge and then charging unsuspecting writers (many new and not knowing any better) a literal arm and a leg for your opinion.

I don’t respect that and I see no reason to hide that fact.

Plain and simple.

That’s my opinion.

And i won't even charge you 4 grand for it, Jim.
                  "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

-- Deleted --
                    Last edited by Jim Mercurio; 11-10-2009, 05:09 PM. Reason: Pass

Comment

Those fees are seriously high. Must be difficult to maintain a client base in this economy and with so much competition.

Good luck with that.
                      Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post

First off, you are constantly promoting your paid services on this free board...

... I sort of cringe when I see that the majority of your posts are either promoting your so called "free- services (which are not so subtly used to promote your "pay- services), your contest, or your paid services. It's almost as though you look at this board as nothing more than a pool of potential paying customers. Every post...every thread...is designed and written to direct people to a place that promotes your pay services or to simply remind people that you are a script "guru-. The predatory nature of that dynamic sort of sickens me.

A lot of new screenwriters come here to learn about the craft. Many are desperate for some sort of edge. Many are willing to go to great lengths to get that perceived edge. They're susceptible to the power of suggestion...the type of subtle suggestion you made in an earlier post when you implied that any screenwriter who is serious about screenwriting should pay your fee to show that they're serious.
                        Agree with Joe here. The constant promotion on this site comes off as tacky, almost predatory.

There are new writers that come on this board on a reg basis, and this is why I personally speak up about this issue. I don't want new, inexperienced writers spending money unnecessarily-- maybe even getting ripped off.

I think it's important that we watch each other's backs.

Not saying Jim is trying to rip anyone off. People can judge for themselves if they want to pay his (high)fees, and past customers can judge if they got a good deal.

Just pointing out to fellow writers that paying high fees to analysts/consultants is not necessary.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Just curious, Jim. Has anyone gone on to sell a script after using your services to improve it? I would think if you had a decent % of sales to clients your prices would be justified. How many clients have you had compared to sales of those scripts?

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                            The problem is, a lot of the people out there putting themselves forward as "experts" are selling snake oil--".
                            Chris Lockhart's latest blogs joke around about this kind of thing.

Part 1

Part 2

Comment

I only read them quickly -- but as far as I can tell those posts were about querying and the Netherlands and had nothing at all to do with what we've been talking about.

I'm a nice guy and not as in your face as my buddy Joe -- but I'm a huge skeptic at heart, so I share his sentiments for the most part. I wish Jim well and he may very well provide great insight. I don't know because I can't afford to use him.

But the best notes I've gotten are from people on this board. Fellow screenwriters who are repped. They know best. You learn how to be a great doctor from other doctors. You don't learn from a guy that dropped out.

I went to film school and trust me, nothing is more disheartening than being taught how to write a script by a teacher who never made it.

And people will say, well great coaches aren't always great players. Sure. But Phil Jackson, maybe the best coach of all time (I vote for Red), did play for the Knicks. He wasn't the best player, but he was in the NBA. And of course, Michael Jordan never paid him to help him become a better player.

IN FAIRNESS -- I have used a few script notes people. All good experiences. One even sent my script to a manager at Anonymous Content. But I paid $60 bucks and $110 bucks for coverage on two scripts.

I hope the blog actually offers some insight for writers and isn't just a marketing tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X