Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avatar article - who wants to fight me?

Anyone want to discuss my AVATAR article in the latest issue... or any of the other articles?

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Re: Avatar article - who wants to fight me?

What are you feelings on Avatar?
    It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Nobody on this board likes to argue.
      If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
      Dave Barry

Comment

Or read an entire article.

Give us a logline about the article and then we can decide if we want to read the whole thing.

I think that Avatar debate has been done a million times already.

Give us something fresh.

Do you have an article about "Slinky"?
        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Well, this would be for people on the board who like to argue *and* know how to read. I realize that limits the number of responses. Sorry.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:

Comment

Didn't Avatar comes out like a year ago? What was this year's big movie? I guess we didn't have one?
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              Well, this would be for people on the board who like to argue *and* know how to read. I realize that limits the number of responses. Sorry.

- Bill
              The person who just read this post to me informs me that I've just been insulted.
              "Only nothing is impossible."
              - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                Well, this would be for people on the board who like to argue *and* know how to read. I realize that limits the number of responses.
                Badly done, Emma. Badly done.

Comment

BILL: I thought you did an excellent job (and I was proud to have my first article in the same issue!). I learned a nuanced point I never heard or thought about before -- the "DNA" concept and that it should be so deeply embedded in story that it's literally reflected in every scene. I knew very well about the "through line," but never thought of the DNA!
                  I read it twice just to make sure I got it. Thanks for a great job.

Comment

great article bill. i've had a number of personal insights into the film but i've never considered the connection aspect in every scene of it. seriously, a good article.
                    life happens
                    despite a few cracked pots-
                    and random sunlight

Comment

Avatar sucked. The throughline was me nodding off in scene after ass-numbing scene.

Comment

I'm glad this wasn't a pay-per-view fight.
                        Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Anitapooh
                          Give me the URL to your article. I saw Avatar five days ago and was very disappointed.
                          There is no url, it is a print magazine. You can find it in just about any book store (Borders often features it on an end display). It's only been around (in some form or another) since 1991.

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:

Comment

Well I haven't read the article but I'll say one thing about AVATAR that I thought was really kind of cool.

A lot of films, most, are about the hero's transformation. But in this flick, not only is the guy traveling 6 years away from his home, which is inconceivable in itself but OK, has been done before in other sci-fi flicks, he is also choosing to become a whole different species.

I kept thinking, after I had seen the film: wow, this guy will never again have a beer, never again eat a pizza, watch a movie, talk on the phone, ride a subway, get together with friends in a bar, try to pick up a cute blond at the jukebox, buy a new pair of shoes, listen to his iPod, log on to the internet, drive in a car, feel the clinking of change in his pocket, put on a pair of jeans, step into a hot shower. Etc, etc.

What he is gaining in return is obviously pretty amazing and compelling, and the case is well made, but still, the complete departure from his old body, environment, world and solar system, struck me as perhaps the most complete and radical transformation any person has ever experienced in a movie.

And on that level alone, I think AVATAR manages to tell one of the greatest adventures ever. It works on a very primal level I think, and I'm not talking about the tree hugging (that part kind of bugged me).

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                              Thanks for a great job.
                              That's not a fight! Thanks.

Though it seemed to go unnoticed, AVATAR was rereleased the week before the mag hit the stands. A huge hit like AVATAR happens about once a decade... and the last time the film was also directed by Cameron. 2010's big hit was TOY STORY 3.

I have worked with an actor who had his assistant read the script to him...

- Bill
                              Free Script Tips:

Comment

Working...
                              X