Okay, I love John August's blog with a passion and all, but...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Okay, I love John August's blog with a passion and all, but...

I believe that's called earth-slink.
    "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
      Who gives a fvck what August says anyway? He's no. 2.

http://www.bachelorsdegree.org/2010/...screenwriters/
      Hey, Bill made number ten. Not bad!
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

I learned something from this thread. I had no idea Earthlink was still in business.

I know I shouldn't be biased based on somebody's email address, but I am. Comcast, Earthlink, Verizon, etc., all scream "default' to me. It's the address that came with your internet service, so it's the address you use. Your Great Aunt Tilly thinks the same way.

It seems unprofessional in that if you change ISPs, or move to an area your current ISP doesn't serve, or your ISP goes out of business, you have to change your email address. What a mess. @gmail.com is forever (or close enough), and that forward-thinking, in my oh-so-judgmental opinion, is the bare minimum one should do.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
          Hey, Bill made number ten. Not bad!
          His moustache deserved number one.
          Nobody's perfect.

Comment

i just signed up for an earthlink account because i need an alibi for why i'm a shitty screenwriter. i refuse to believe it's talent related.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
              It seems unprofessional in that if you change ISPs, or move to an area your current ISP doesn't serve, or your ISP goes out of business, you have to change your email address. What a mess. @gmail.com is forever (or close enough), and that forward-thinking, in my oh-so-judgmental opinion, is the bare minimum one should do.
              OK, but...why Gmail, out of all the free services? I'm pretty sure that if someone chose to use Hotmail or Yahoo, it wouldn't go over so well. August said as much. There has to be a reason. Is Gmail what all the cool Hollywood kids use or something?

Comment

I don't know when gmail got hot all of a sudden but some people told me to switch from yahoo. I didn't because I don't like to go through any trouble. But I conduct business with an address from my own domain.
                Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by theblondewritr View Post
                  ...and someone mentions DDP.

Someone please shed some light on sharing Industry emails with people who are trying desperately to get read. Is this considered a 'no-no'?

On Done Deal we specifically ask that members not publish, without permission, the email addresses of others. This in no way prevents private communication between members.
                  We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                    Gmail is just so awesome that it causes users to look down on non-users.

Seriously, though, it is awesome.

However, I do think that's a pretty weird blog entry and I'd be interested to know if other industry folk have similar reactions.
                    Gmail is overrated and has been taken over by spam bots. The vast majority of @gmail emails I get are spam. It didn't used to be that way, but it is now.

Comment

So having an Earthlink email addy is why my scripts suck. Now I get it.

It's great to say use [email protected], but if you've got a common name, trust me it is taken. On one's ISP, it may not be (although it probably is).

If somebody's going to reject me because they don't like my email address, I'm pretty sure I don't want to work with them anyway.

Scripts were being written long before computers were around, so I'm also going to go out on a limb and say knowing how to navigate the Internet and set up a gmail account means zero in terms of script quality. But what do I know? I haven't sold one.
                      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by billmarq View Post
                        On Done Deal we specifically ask that members not publish, without permission, the email addresses of others. This in no way prevents private communication between members.
                        Thanks for explaining Bill.
                        si

Comment

Working...
                        X