Amazon Studios Top 50 Scripts Reviewed...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Studios Top 50 Scripts Reviewed...

I really hope this is some idiot's stupid idea of what they define as a "joke".

Whether someone's screenplay is bad or not - who the hell do these people think they are to be so rude about it? GRRR!

I have never read such immature garbage as I have now. Does Amazon know about this? It's just vicious nonsense and even though I urge those whose scripts are mentioned to ignore it, it's just a wankfest on their behalf. It's clear they didn't make the cut so they've decided to give everyone who did a snarky slag-off.

Here is the link to the article: http://theauditorz.wordpress.com/201...y-50-reviewed/

I really hope nobody from here has been publicly shamed by those responsible.
    Last edited by one seven spectrum; 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM. Reason: SEE NEW POST BELOW

Re: Amazon Studios Top 50 Scripts Reviewed...

A blog does reviews? And those reviews are pretty sarcastic?

That's par for the course. If someone submitted their work to Amazon for a public critique - they can't get annoyed that it gets reviewed in a silly way on a website. What will they do if a movie finally get's made ... insist that only serious people give opinions on the film?

The writing style is deliberately inane - it's very much in the style of 'Cracked' and other websites. I find it a slightly painful style .. but it's fairly popular.

It was even pretty flattering for some writers:

The truth is that “Choady” seems to be a pretty good writer with a wide range. We enjoyed mostly all of the snippets we read of his screenplays, and could see some of his scripts actually becoming a movie.
    If a writer seriously gets publicly shamed by an immature review then they are in the wrong business.

Mac
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Mate, my point was this is just stupid. It's there for no other reason than to be malicious. It's not funny, quite pathetic really. Public critique is one thing, but this is wrong and if we start accepting this sort of behavior then what's next? How far do we let it go?

I'm not trying to sit on some moral high ground, I'm just making light of something I think is immature and that I wonder if Amazon knows of it. It's not exactly bringing in more business for their comp. Who wants to submit to their competition after seeing this is what happens to you when you place in the semi's?

If a writer has to "accept" this sort of behavior because it's of the norm, then yeah - they clearly are wasting their time in this business.

I just thought it was rude. That is all.
      Last edited by one seven spectrum; 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

The whole website seems to be devoted to the Amazon contest. If you don't like the reviews, skip 'em, and take in what they've said about the contest itself (click on the links to the left). There's some insight mixed in with the adolescent meanness.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
          I really hope nobody from here has been publicly shamed by those responsible.
          They should be publicly shamed for entering this contest in the first place.

Comment

I thought the article was amusing and had valid points. Here is a reply from one of the "called-out" screenwriters:

"I was entertained by this article, which may come as a surprise since I'm one of the writers skewered within it.
            I have no intention of getting defensive, here. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and you certainly can't please everyone. (And those writers who set out to do so frankly have no business being writers.) I've had my work (both in writing and in art) praised and bitched about over the years, and I actually consider it a blessing that, at my age, I've now developed a bit of a thick skin and sense of humility.
            So if you want to bitch more about my writing, more power to you. It's a free country, and hell...maybe I can learn a thing or two about how to make my script better.
            I will say this: While there's a lot of action in my story, it was all designed as a cartoon. Would it require $300 million to produce? I doubt. But to be frank, when I'm writing ideas down on paper, I think, first and foremost, that imagination is the key. I dreamt big, so shoot me. Leave the budget concerns and production value to those well-paid studio bigwigs, I say; my aim is simply to write something I enjoy.
            So... if any of you wish to give my story a look, please do so. If you're objective about it, all the better.
            I welcome reactions both good (http://theunsungcritic.blogspot.com/2007/01/my-1-for-2006-in-footsteps-of-thaddeus.html) AND bad (this article). But in the end, for better or worse, it's my story, and I'll write as I damn well want to."

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
              They should be publicly shamed for entering this contest in the first place.
              I entered. And, yes, I am ashamed (but apparently not enough).

HH

Comment

Oh, and the finalists are reviewed:

http://theauditorz.wordpress.com/201...ittin-me-post/

HH

Comment

Thanks HH.

I took the time to read the reviews again, and I can sort of see that it's just a bit of light-hearted fun. I was just worried that it might put some of the contestants off from continuing with their pursuit in a job from all this...

...then I realised that Mac.H. was right. If a writer can't stand criticism - in any form, mature or not - then they should find another hobby/career path.

I wish all the entrants the best of luck in the finals.

Comment

I can't even see how anyone can read some of these RTF files. The formatting itself on the two that I looked at gives me a headache.
                    2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

I don't like meanness for meanness sake either, but when I browse the post, based on the loglines, info, and excerpts he posts, I'd say he's spot on and quite funnily so to boot. It's sort of a Simon Cowell situation. You can sugar coat something and that person can then keep wasting their life thinking they're good at something they're not good at, or you can be brutally honest and make them feel enough like an idiot that they might actually do what they shoulda done in the first place: research how to write a proper screenplay and/or realized they just don't have any writing talent and find a new hobby/career path. The sad thing is, the odds are pretty good that every single one of those writers showed every single one of those scripts to a friend who family member who praised it and them, even though it was far from deserved, if not outright laughable.

This guy's snark as well as any other harsh reviews that might pop up have done these people a favor. And once the stinging wears off, hopefully they'll realize it.

Comment

Working...
                      X