Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one read 'The studio reader's 18 red flags'

If so, is it any good? Was it useful to you?

I would love to see a copy. Let me know what you thought of it.

Re: Any one read 'The studio reader's 18 red flags'

Sounds like a round of golf.

Comment

It might be the classic "best thing since sliced bread", but based on my read of "Flag No. 1", whoever wrote it has not mastered the basic art of punctuation. Here's the opening:
      1. Overtly complicated openings.
      Opening in a "flashback sequence" or extended "voiceover" delays the essential
      thematic establishment in the most critical part of a script. In a professional
      readers eyes it makes you, the unknown writer look like you do not understand
      the basic principles of script writing by masking structure with weak techniques
      and empty gimmickry. The problem lies in the fact that although these methods
      are perfectly fine forms of storytelling. A first time writer will be perceived as not
      understanding basic principles. DON'T DO IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
        It might be the classic "best thing since sliced bread", but based on my read of "Flag No. 1", whoever wrote it has not mastered the basic art of punctuation. Here's the opening:
        the basic principles of script writing by masking structure with weak techniques
        are perfectly fine forms of storytelling. A first time writer will be perceived as not
        Funny, they're unable to catch their own grammar and punctuation mistakes, yet they feel they're in the position to help writers avoid mistakes.

Hard to heed writing advice that's poorly written.

Comment

(quoted)...The problem lies in the fact that although these methods

I'm not a "first time" writer, but right this moment, on my 16th screenplay, I'm taking on Film Noir, and using many of the usual contrivances for the genre -- including the V.O. opening! Having a hoot with it!

Comment

Well, it's only going to cost me $29.99 to find out what the other 17 red flags are, and I'm optimistic that this self-published manual will help me out.

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/sc...flags/12100736

HH

Comment

Opps broke rule one

Comment

Working...
              X