Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewed in Scriptshadow

Hey, just thought I'd share the misery...

My 2010 Nicholl QF was reviewed by Scriptshadow, and it's taking a well-deserved beating. It's hard to disagree with some of the things people are saying about it. 'Cause I think they're right in a lot of places. (Except for the offensive stuff; I'm keeping that, no matter what. Maybe.)

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/201...resources.html

Yes, I'm looking for sympathy, but I'm also posting to let those who maybe didn't place in the Nicholl this year that contests are entirely subjective. Having skimmed through it (I hadn't read it in about two years), it shouldn't have made QF of Nicholl. I got lucky. Once.

I've learned a lot since this script, and I may take another whack at it (and steal an idea from one of the commenters), but we'll see. I doubt anyone's going to contact me about this thing (except to yell at me about wasting their time), but I'll let you know.

HH

Re: Reviewed in Scriptshadow

Congrats on the NichollQF and congrats on the review (though I'm sorry it didn't go the way you'd like). I've seen people tear apart movies that later were nominated for Oscars, so take the QF and enjoy it!

Comment

If this was your first script I think you have at least a decent chance of finding your voice in story. Let's see how your next script is and build off that and then and only then do you get a sense of your ability to grow as a writer.
      I thought you did a good job in some aspects, and others, you're just not seasoned enough for some of your story choices. Hopefully that will come, story choices and reveals are very difficult to pick and then execute. I struggle everyday with them.

Keep reading and keep writing.

Comment

Don't worry dude. You'll find that once you've read the entire comments section, there'll be a couple of good pointa put forward by some genuine writers and the remaining 99% of comments will be by unrepped, unsold, unoptioned, wannabe's.

Congrats on the Nicholl win. Regardless, someone saw something in your writing. Focus on that and keep going.

Comment

Good for you, HH. I'll try to give it a read.

Comment

Thanks, guys. And, yeah, there were actually some pretty good comments/ideas re: the script. But it is my first one, and it shows. I've written a few others that seem to be better, and have all done well in various contests (but not well enough). Bottomline: I've gotta get better at this. HH

Comment

Congratulations on the placement and the blog placement! I think you basically just got free coverage. Not a bad deal. Now start writing a new script with subplots aplenty and employment specifics!

Comment

HH -

I think it's a great concept, and you got some really great advice over there on how to improve it. You should rewrite it ASAP. Congrats on QF!
                "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Way to go, Harold !!!

I'm with Cshel, gotta rewrite it ASAP !

Keep up the good work !

And congrats on the Q.F. placement as well.

M.

Comment

Hey Harold,

Good luck with this - I have no idea how SS helps or hinders a project, if he's even relevant in the scheme of things, but if the advice is solid, then that's a win.

Congrats and good luck!
                    Nic
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

I think the suggestion from the comments that the monsters be corporate downsizers who eat the newly unemployed is brilliant - instantly makes the premise topical and even more darkly satiric. I think it's the extra oomph that would push this idea over the top. They could be liquidators who buy the firm to carve it up, or consultants brought in to "trim the fat." So to speak. The puns just write themselves!
                      Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Funny enough, I read Inhuman Resources a few weeks back.

Liked the premise and thought it had potential.

Pretty universal experience: everyone's had a monster for a boss.

Reckon you should revisit it...

Comment

If you have reps, what do they think of you willingly having your script reviewed by blogs like SS? Now that it has an unfavorable response, do they think it will hinder the chances of it being optioned/sold or hurt other future projects you have in the works?

Comment

I don't have reps.

HH (go ahead, say it..."and probably never will")

Comment

Great work Harold. You'll get a rep if you keep trying to land one. The way I see it, any exposure is good exposure. Your name is out there.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Working...
                              X