• Show
Clear All

• Jim Vines aka Working Screenwriter Interviews Me

http://theworkingscreenwriter.blogsp...n-samuels.html

And John August comments on it.

http://johnaugust.com/2011/still-suing
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Re: Jim Vines aka Working Screenwriter Interviews Me

This board is for people actually trying to work hard to make it, GET OUT.
    Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Dude, I didn't know a single soul in hollywood either. I'm from Wyoming for christ's sake and I've managed to have success in L.A. You sound like every other delusional asshat who thinks they're better than they are.

You're going to lose your lawsuit (embarassingly so) and also find you'll never EVER get read afterwards.

You should've spent the time and money on learning how to write.

Comment

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post

Like.
        "Only nothing is impossible."
        - Grant Morrison

Comment

I've managed to get a few screenplays out wide (all with favorable coverage) from a Mid-Western zipcode.

Comment

Where's the puke smiley?

Comment

I think you should take up auto-erotic asphyxiation and move to Thailand, NYNEX.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I honestly felt that you were just misguided in your attempt to deal with a problem, but it's becoming more and more obvious that you're just milking an issue for attention. Not all publicity is good publicity, at least not for writers. This won't get you want.
                  what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

The interview reads like one excuse after another.

Hence why you're not making it.
                    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
                      Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

This guy is a joke.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

My 2 cents on your situation:

We all got a story.

Stop bitching, get to work.

And, uh... change your name, dude. Seriously.
                        12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

The ivy league, responsible for 19 or 20 of our Presidents -- and this guy. If you got Chappelle to play Nynex we'd have a 50 million dollar opening.

Btw, I urge anyone who has not seen the charlie murphy skit to utube it because it's hilarious. In all honesty this was a mindboggling interview.

It was like a re-run of a bad brady bunch episode where you're just embarrassed that you're watching it but it's so bad, it's good.

Comment

Justin - this is a serious question related to the snippet that John August quoted.

As far as I can tell - this isn't about your race or your talent. After all - the people that you want to do business with don't return your calls or respond to your emails. They don't know your race or talent. They aren't immediate factors.

So that means that the complaint is simply about their policies of doing business largely via referral only. Since they only take referrals from people they know and trust - then the people who they do business with are going to be limited to that group.

OK - I understand that complaint. Obviously there is the alternative that you can get seen via less direct sources - you've had offers here to get your script read by Benderspink for example. The company doing your press releases promises that they can get your work read by the big boys - so they are either lying or you've chosen not to use them. OK - you want them to read your work without a single referral being used. I understand that.

My concern, though, is simple. How that is different to the way that I work ?

For example - I regularly get emails from Nigeria explaining how there is a great money making opportunity that they are going to let me share. I get emails from strangers extolling certain penny stocks.

I delete those emails. I don't bother to research them further - they didn't come via existing business contacts and I've made a value judgement that they aren't worth my time. I know that there are probably plenty of good business opportunities I'm missing out on ... after all some of those penny stocks might have risen to two pennies ... I'd have doubled my money overnight if I'd listened to them.

But I don't. I delete them pretty much unread (apart from a quick scan) because they didn't come via a source that has been pre-filtered.

Isn't that the sensible thing to do? Isn't that what you do as well? (Or should I reply to the Nigerian emails and give them your email address .. letting them know that you are someone who is willing to spend time researching their business opportunities?)

I want to be honest and ethical.

I don't want to be racist.

How should I change my behaviour? After all - it is exactly the same behaviour shown by the people you are suing.
                            (Perhaps even more so - I'm more likely to invest in a project in a local field that I understand than a remote country like Nigeria)

The obvious solution isn't going to work - I can't just ignore all business trust I have with colleagues and simply agree to read all 'loglines' of projects. I have a limited number of years to live - it doesn't make any sense to relegate a project backed by people that I know have the talent to pull it off into the same category as a spam email.

So what should I do ?

Mac
                            Last edited by Mac H.; 08-19-2011, 08:14 PM.
                            New blogposts:
                            *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                            *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                            *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                            *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

MacH, in publishing, agents not only have the time to read queries, they typically also accept synopses and the first three chapters and/or the first 50 pages.

And they accept this on an unsolicited basis. So since literary agents in publishing can deal with all these unsolicited submissions, there's no real reason why this cannot be done in film as well.
                              Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Working...
                              X