• Show
Clear All

Re: Jim Vines aka Working Screenwriter Interviews Me

Originally posted by Porkaccino View Post
    Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Another small difference between the industries:

Movies released theatrically in 2010: 534

Books published in the U.S. in 2010: 288,355

So perhaps not surprising that they use different methods to finding material.
    Holy crap, is that real? That's amazing. I had no idea THAT many books are published per year. That's like 1% of the entire U.S. population published a book last year.
    1/10 of 1% (approx).

Comment

Originally posted by Han Shot First View Post
      Justin, this has really been the longest, most awkward American idol audition I've ever witnessed. Even Paula has her ears covered now. Security has been called. Keep singing that terrible cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It won't make you a singer.
      I think you're overestimating Justin. He knows he has no real shot at making it in the business at this point. This is just a cash grab. He's hoping the agencies toss a few grand his way to make him and his baseless suit disappear but I'm hoping they draw a hard line on this and maybe even counter sue - isn't there a law against frivolous lawsuits?
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

The real victim in this is Cornell University.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
          isn't there a law against frivolous lawsuits?
          in an effort to derail this thread...

Everyone should run and see the documentary HOT COFFEE

it completely changed my perception and understanding of what a frivolous lawsuit is.

We don't need laws against frivolous lawsuits, the system already has measures in place.

Tort Reform is a code phrase for insurance company profit protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
            The real victim in this is Cornell University.
            +1

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
              Tort Reform is a code phrase for insurance company profit protection.
              +1

Comment

Confucius say, "Just because you write screenplay does not make you screenwriter."

If your sense of entitlement wasn't so damn insulting to actual professionals who have had their ability and talent recognized and vetted by "the system," your story would be pathetic rather than infuriating.

Justin, this has really been the longest, most awkward American idol audition I've ever witnessed. Even Paula has her ears covered now. Security has been called. Keep singing that terrible cover of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It won't make you a singer.
                He shoots... he SCORES!!!
                https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

We also don't need tart reform.

I just pulled the same books vs. movies page for another message board a couple of weeks ago, where a guy said he was writing screenplays because they were easier to sell than books. Where do people get this stuff?

I think there's this wishful thinking thing at work - because people dream about being a screenwriter, they ignore all of the reality. They think it will be easy... and when it's not, they get angry. But there's plenty of evidence out there that it is not easy. They just refuse to open their eyes. "If you build it, they will come" - but sometimes you just end up ruining a good corn crop and nothing happens, and sometimes it's baseball playing zombies and FIELD OF SCREAMS. It's nice to dream, but you have to wake up and get to work. Work is hard. No one wants to work... but some people do it anyway.

Two words explain all of those novels: James Patterson.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                    1/10 of 1% (approx).
                    Whoops. Right you are. Stupid zeroes.

Comment

Confucius say, "Just because you write screenplay does not make you screenwriter."

If your sense of entitlement wasn't so damn insulting to actual professionals who have had their ability and talent recognized and vetted by "the system," your story would be pathetic rather than infuriating.

Damn, HSF, you're such an arsonist...

The voluntary fool's entitlement (non)sense is also insulting to struggling scribes. Being African-American and around this clown's age, I shake my head in sadness. I have worked hard (bad jobs; many lonely days writing short stories, poems, essays and screenplays; a lot of background extra jobs), but I don't sue to be successful. I write.

The hard fact, OP: I don't like you. No one here at DDP likes you. No one in Hollywood will like you, and, though I might be crossing a line, I bet no one in your life has told you the truth about yourself. People have told me I was crap all my life, but I always proved them wrong. What have you done? You expect respect and notoriety as a screenwriter, but you've done **** to earn it.
                      Hence, you're not a writer. You're a joke.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post
                        Success? I've never heard of you. Can you post your real name and what this success is?
                        Dirtbottle doesn't have to tell you **** about how successful he is. He measures his success by his standards, not yours, which are non-existent.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Just to reiterate...you have access to the Advanced Script Forum--or even participate with a throwdown.

Anyone else want to throw down with NYNEX?

Let's see what chops he's got
                          Last edited by zenplato; 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM.
                          The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Hi, my name is Justin, and I'll be your server today!
                            If you really like it you can have the rights
                            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

FYI, and back to the "lawsuit" theme, HERE is where I have absolutely no sympathy for plaintiffs in a lawsuit. Greedy ba$tard$... crooked accountants and lawyers or not.

$2,500 donation = $10,000 receipt

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                                Damn, HSF, you're such an arsonist...

The voluntary fool's entitlement (non)sense is also insulting to struggling scribes. Being African-American and around this clown's age, I shake my head in sadness. I have worked hard (bad jobs; many lonely days writing short stories, poems, essays and screenplays; a lot of background extra jobs), but I don't sue to be successful. I write.

The hard fact, OP: I don't like you. No one here at DDP likes you. No one in Hollywood will like you, and, though I might be crossing a line, I bet no one in your life has told you the truth about yourself. People have told me I was crap all my life, but I always proved them wrong. What have you done? You expect respect and notoriety as a screenwriter, but you've done **** to earn it.
                                Hence, you're not a writer. You're a joke.
                                I feel sorry for Justin. Just like I feel sorry sorry for anyone who has a dream that eats them from the inside out and convinces them to make all sorts of deluded choices that will make them...and others, unhappy. The smartest thing that Justin could do is pack it all up, unplug, and walk away from this business. Find another dream and pursue that, that's the avenue to happiness. I mean, heck, it's just movies, no one's saving lives here.

Beyond that, no one in Hollywood needs to like Justin...if he had the goods. But he doesn't. That's the only thing that matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X