X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 things Hollywood doesn't want you to know about

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/fea...know-about.php

Pay special attention to item #1:

"The problem is that while scripts can be copyrighted, ideas cannot. So, if Hollywood gets pitched an idea and likes it, but doesn’t want to deal with the whole “paying for the script” thing, they can just hire someone to write another script based on “their” idea. Since they have much bigger, meaner lawyers than your average spec script writer, the writer kinda gets boned. So even the mythical “original idea” in Hollywood? Yeah, it may not be so original after all."
    Last edited by SNAFU; 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM.

Re: 6 things Hollywood doesn't want you to know about

Why don't you just ask Brian Koppelman if he stole ROUNDERS from Jeff Grosso?

I'll save you the embarrassment: he didn't.

Please please please, don't live your life anxious someone is going to steal your sht. You'll end up so paranoid that you'll never let anyone read your stuff. If you can figure out how to make a career as a writer like that, please PM me your secrets (so I can steal them and write a best selling book based on them).

Comment

The reason you can't copyright an idea, is because it wasn't entirely your idea in the first place. It came from the cultural storytelling pool. Ideas can always be traced back to something related or similar. Ultimately what makes a script work as a movie, is not the idea, it's the caliber of its writer/s.

If you want to be a screenwriter, become a good screenwriter.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
        Please please please, don't live your life anxious someone is going to steal your sht.
        I don't have any ideas worth stealing LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
          "The problem is that while scripts can be copyrighted, ideas cannot. So, if Hollywood gets pitched an idea and likes it, but doesn’t want to deal with the whole “paying for the script” thing, they can just hire someone to write another script based on “their” idea. ."
          This isn't logical.

It says:

1. Ideas aren't covered by copyright law
          2. Therefore Hollywood can just steal ideas.

The logical flaw is that it overlooks the basic truth that ideas don't need to be covered by copyright law - they are covered by other intellectual property laws instead.

You can argue that theft still happens - fine. But that has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't covered under one set of laws - when it is covered by other (much more appropriate) laws.

It is like saying: "The problem is that copyright law doesn't prevent women punching me in the nose. So whenever I proposition strange women on the street - they keep punching me in the nose."

Yes - the two statements might be true. But they aren't connected.

Mac
          New blogposts:
          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
            It is like saying: "The problem is that copyright law doesn't prevent women punching me in the nose. So whenever I proposition strange women on the street - they keep punching me in the nose."
            Yes, but how can I keep from getting punched in the nose *and* get me some luvin'?

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

The MAIN problem isn't idea theft, it's crap execution of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAFU View Post
                The MAIN problem isn't idea theft, it's crap execution of ideas.
                You should fix that!

Comment

In general, CRACKED boils my blood. Of all the entities to talk about stealing...

Long story short: I used to write medium- to long-form pop culture-based humor pieces for a local blog collective a few years ago. And a few days after I put up one piece in particular, a friend sent me a heads-up link to a CRACKED piece that straight-up ripped off my piece wholesale. Several chunks had been lifted verbatim, but JUUUST enough had been changed around so it appeared semi-original to the "writer's" usual tone.

So, I confronted them on it. I was at first ignored, then censored and shouted down. Somewhere along the line, they edited the word-for-word passages to be just as slightly different as the sections that weren't. But they never admitted to having plagiarized me to begin with. In retrospect, I guess I don't know what I expected from an entity that began its life as a poor man's "MAD Magazine" (complete with synonymous title and sad-sack loser mascot).

It's a bummer, though. CRACKED has some reasonably funny material and one or two decent writers (Seanbaby in particular I find to be laugh-out-loud funny more often than not), but they're *just*

Comment

Working...
                  X