• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Integration - The Savvy Screenwriters' Ace in the Hole

PRODUCT PLACEMENT VS PRODUCT INTEGRATION IN FILMS

http://www.moviebytes.com/NewsStory.cfm?StoryID=4182

Re: Product Integration - The Savvy Screenwriters' Ace in the Hole

It's an article pushing his own 'I'll read your script and tell you branding opportunities' service.

It's interesting - but it's basically a rebranding of 'product placement'. "Now that everyone knows that product placement doesn't fund films, we'll just say you need a line of dialogue as well and call it 'product integration' - then people might buy my services!"

I'm not sure why it is aimed at screenwriters either - why is it an ace in the hole for writers?

Here's a 'product integration' into Scrubs that went far beyond a line of dialogue:

Heinz worked with a US company called 'International Promotion' to include the new bottle into product integration on TV and film so that the consumer 'would consider the EZ Squeeze bottle as an everyday household product'.

The product integration company considers the campaign a huge success - giving a Heinz a CPM rate of $0.02 for the TV part of the campaign.
    Full details: http://macharwood.blogspot.com/2011/...-heinz-ez.html (Apologies for self promotion-but since I didn't see the article anywhere else I had to write the damn thing myself)

He overlooked that ACTUAL benefit of decent product placement - it is to get marketing support at release time. Heinz paid about $15k to get that 'Scrub' Sequence - which is why they had such a great CPM rate. That isn't a drop in the bucket for production costs of the show - if that was the benefit to the production company then it wouldn't be worth the effort - especially because then the program is setting itself up to be banned for rebroadcast if any character smokes, drinks alcohol or takes medication - because some regions have very strict rules about what counts as 'advertising' for TV and film.

Heck - this week one local TV station got in trouble for showing a product integration spot during a time when pre-schoolers might be watching. ("The ACMA ruled that not only was the messaging at the wrong time of day, but that it was not clearly distinguishable as an ad to a child viewer") The company the production integration spot was with? McDonalds.

I'll throw some other examples up there as well.

Mac
    Last edited by Mac H.; 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM.
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

The idea that Product Integration is "The Savvy Screenwriters' Ace in the Hole" is fvcking assinine.

Comment

I'm branding up all of my scripts right away! My goal is to mention 5 brands on every single page!

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Did you notice that Toronto's film awards are the "Cadillac Best Picture Award" (or whatever it's called) and its that way right down the list for nearly every award -- isn't that product placement?

Maybe we can get a condom company to give out the Golden Trojan for best picture, screenplay, or... something.

Comment

Working...
          X