No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Adhd?

Okay I apologize,

I tried to see which thread if any this really fit in and this is the closest because I think it relates the most, if someone would care to redirect it that is fine?

But relating to the craft and art of screenwriting I wonder how many out there have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD or how many of you think you might have it? It seems to be very common with screenwriters for many reasons. This is an article about screenwriter Sally Harris and if you are not sure if you have ADD or ADHD check it out... and get professional diagnosis... but yeah, seems like it is common to a lot of writers, young and old.

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/902.html
    Thanks
    Adam
    Get busy writin' or get busy dyin'.
    http://www.kiva.org/team/hollywood

Re: Add Adhd?

nope. doesn't belong here.

Comment

Hey I am COMPLETELY ignorant on the subject. I don't think I've got it, and I find it a mystery why it would be common among writers in particular, more than it would be anyone other professions.

But reading the link you provided confused me even more.

For instance, when it says it takes 45 minutes to cross busy traffic of New York why would she only allow 15 minutes.

Like I say, I don't understand the nature of ADD, so I don't mean to be offensive, but surely people with ADD can still assess small logistics like time.

If you know it takes 45 minutes, surely you would know that 15 minutes would not be long enough.

Does ADD override peoples basic sense of logic?

Can anyone give a little more insight into how this affects them.

Comment

I have it as does one of my sons (13) and it sucks. It's hard to watch him struggle through almost everything except his art - music - at which he's a freaking genius. ADHD people tend to "hyperfocus" on one thing and they can do that for hours on end. I wasn't diagnosed until my early 30's but I saw it in him right away as a toddler. I have meds but only use them when I'm really up against a writing deadline otherwise I write when I can but usually only really focused writing for an hour before shiny moving objects get the better of me. I relate to most of the article and things like cooking are truly a challenge. My husband does all the cooking. Life does feel overwhelming at times and that makes me want to do nothing at all because it's hard to break things down into small goals, I feel the need to do it all at once. Besides the time management the biggest problem is impulse control. This doesn't affect my writing but does affect all other aspects of my life and it's awful on a 13 year-old boy. ADHD people are notorious for walking away from things (college, marriages, jobs, etc.) and for me writing a script was the first and only thing in my life that I've finished. I'm working on number twelve so I guess it's not all bad.

w

Comment

One of the things you have to keep in mind about ADD is that it's the current psych flavor of the month. It's over-diagnosed in the extreme, not only through self-diagnosis (my psych professor called it "Med Student Syndrome", the tendency a lot of people have to say "Oh wow, I have that!" upon learning about a new condition) but also professionally. Another example is the over-diagnosis of schizophrenia, which I believe there are plenty of studies on.

The problem is that we're all too willing to believe that we have conditions that we can do little or nothing about, since that works out a lot better than trying harder or blaming ourselves. I roomed with somebody who had two kids, both supposedly ADD. I think the better explanation is that they were just stupid. Their fault? Well, no. The parent in question accidentally slept in about a half hour one morning and decided not to take them to school. They always drove the kids to school anyway, so it wasn't like they missed the bus. It was just lazy and neglectful.

This was pretty indicative of the level of discipline that occurred in that household. Were the kids really ADD? Hell no. But a shrink says they are and giving them the pills is easier than taking some responsibility.

I'm not saying you guys DON'T have it, I'd just beg anybody to take a second look and be horribly fair with themselves if they can.

Comment

I think it would be difficult for a writer to hold the whole story in their head at once if they have ADHD. And you need to be able to see every scene and how it relates to the other scenes simultaneously. I *don't* think this would be common for screenwriters - who must have self discipline and focus to get anything done. When you are your own boss, you must make sure your employee isn't constantly distracted and gets their work done on time.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

+1 to what Bill and Vance said.

People managed to survive for a long time without happy pills.
              Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

For the record my son does not take the drugs, they made him angry. We just "deal with it" and that's fine with me.

Comment

@vance -

Over-diagnosis of schizophrenia? That doesn't make sense. It's one thing to wonder if your kid is a normal hyperactive kid, or if he has ADHD. But if someone becomes schizophrenic, you won't mistake that for being in the range of normal.

In general, there may be some over-diagnosing going on, but there is also a great deal more medical knowledge about various brain disorders nowadays. In the old days, a kid with something like true ADHD, OCD, functioning autism, etc., would just be considered that freaky weird kid that nobody liked or talked to, the one that got teased and beat-up all the time, then who knows what happened to them when they became adults. If the diagnosis is just stupid parents - well then, god help them.
                  "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

We'd have to crack open multiple, gigantic PDFs to have any kind of relevant conversation on the subject and I'm not interested in hijacking threads that hard with my third ever post.

I'll just say that Google's your buddy, as ever. The current hot topic on a related search is a study from last year: http://www.annarbor.com/news/black-m...research-says/

And as loathe as I am to link Wikipedia, this section does cover some of what we were warned about on day one of Psych 101: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnos...#Controversies

Comment

An insightful view on ADHD with regards to our current education system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkPvSCq5ZXk

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post

I'll just say that Google's your buddy, as ever. The current hot topic on a related search is a study from last year: http://www.annarbor.com/news/black-m...research-says/

And as loathe as I am to link Wikipedia, this section does cover some of what we were warned about on day one of Psych 101: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnos...#Controversies
                        As someone who graduated and works in psychology, trying to associate the over diagnoses of schizophrenia and ADHD is ludicrous. Not even in the same ball park. When someone is misdiagnosed with schizophrenia, they almost always have either some kind of concurrent/dual diagnoses or something on the psychotic or mood disorder spectrum. ...You don't walk out of the doc's office accidentally diagnosed with Schizophrenia. Also you're confusing the number of individuals who are treated for ADHD, and the ones who are actually diagnosed with ADHD. You don't have to be formally diagnosed to be given a prescription for some stimulate like concerta or even an anti-psychotic like risperdal.

...anyway, there's always been a strong correlation between ADHD/ADD in those whom excel or invest themselves in art and culture. Probably a million reasons why, but essentially the brain chemistry of an individual with ADD for example lends itself to some of the common strengths of artists...

That said, it's all about how much you want to manage. Meds or no meds. People can still act like children and use their diagnoses as a crutch to avoid sitting down and doing what they have to do.
                        Last edited by Paradis; 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I think I have ADD but never been diagnosed. I find it extremely hard to focus & get distracted easily (like now).

I've found exercise, meditation, a healthier diet & time management tools, like using a planner & to-do lists, help.

My mother is extremely flaky (she has ADD or maybe is bi-polar) & my father was an alcoholic, soooo... writing is a challenging activity for me.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I was diagnosed with it too...but could focus long enough to learn that the subject of the article is hardly a "successful" screenwriter.

Comment

Working...
                            X