Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you reading, right now...

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy. That no good, talentless hack. For the love of God someone get the man a thesaurus.
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Skinny Legs and All - Tom Robbins
      Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Screenplays:
        • Last of the Mohicans - Michael Mann & Christopher Crowe
        • Michael Clayton - Tony Gilroy
        • Motorcade - Billy Ray

Books:

Shōgun - James Clavell

Recently Finished:
        • Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy
        • Dark Men - Derek Haas (excellent btw)
        • The Gods of Greenwich - Norb Vonnegut
        • The Social Animal - David Brooks
        • Operation Dark Heart - Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer
        "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Just finished being blown away by the darkly funny and beautiful Miriam Toews novel, A Complicated Kindness. Been ages since anything moved me like that.

Just responded to a friend's work-in-progress (British author of historical fiction) that I'm not allowed to name. She's on a deadline.

I'm on a bit of a Young Adult kick so am devouring Maureen McCarthy, Melina Marchetta, and pretty much any recommendations that come from anyone I respect and admire. (Hint, hint. )
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

I usually like to have a fiction and non-fiction title on the go:

Shock Value -- Jason Zinoman
            House of Silk -- Anthony Horowitz
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
              Stephen King - On Writing
              One of the very best books I've read about writing. Did you enjoy it?
              @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                Just finished being blown away by the darkly funny and beautiful Miriam Toews novel, A Complicated Kindness. Been ages since anything moved me like that.

Just responded to a friend's work-in-progress (British author of historical fiction) that I'm not allowed to name. She's on a deadline.

I'm on a bit of a Young Adult kick so am devouring Maureen McCarthy, Melina Marchetta, and pretty much any recommendations that come from anyone I respect and admire. (Hint, hint. )
                Don't know if I have your respect or admiration, but have you read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness?
                @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                  Don't know if I have your respect or admiration, but have you read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness?
                  If you learned how to type properly, maybe...

Patrick Ness, hey? Will check him out. Ta muchly. Have you read A Complicated Kindness? I can't recommend it highly enough.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                    If you learned how to type properly, maybe...

Patrick Ness, hey? Will check him out. Ta muchly. Have you read A Complicated Kindness? I can't recommend it highly enough.
                    I haven't, but I shall look into it. Thanks.

As for the typing? Old habits...
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

One of the very best books I've read about writing. Did you enjoy it?
                      Loved it. In fact, I realised whilst reading that I've never even read ANY Stephen King *blush*, so I promptly ran out yesterday and bought Carrie.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackDown View Post
                        Loved it. In fact, I realised whilst reading that I've never even read ANY Stephen King *blush*, so I promptly ran out yesterday and bought Carrie.
                        I read all of King's novels in order as a kid until I got to Needful Things, then he kind of lost me. I didn't read anything of his for years until I tried Lisey's Story, and that didn't work for me either. I considered buying the recent one about the Kennedy Assassination, but haven't as yet.

I still enjoy his writing, it's just the stories don't seem as compelling.
                        @MacBullitt

Comment

I read all of King's novels in order as a kid until I got to Needful Things, then he kind of lost me. I didn't read anything of his for years until I tried Lisey's Story, and that didn't work for me either. I considered buying the recent one about the Kennedy Assassination, but haven't as yet.

Yeah he definitely seems on a publish or die methodolgy, last year's one about the dome... all i could think was "he's ripping off the Simpson's". Not a bad idea, some interesting characters but it just seemed to go on and on and on. About fifty pages before the end i just gave up
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

You have duplicated my own experience!

However, I just read the Kennedy novel, 22/11/63, and it's up there with his very best.
                            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                              You have duplicated my own experience!

However, I just read the Kennedy novel, 22/11/63, and it's up there with his very best.
                              Then I shall give that one a go. Thanks.
                              @MacBullitt

Comment

I keep reading Stephen King's THE STAND, 'keep reading' because I never actually make it very far, so it's a long-term project. I'll get to the end one day.

But that aside, there's a very good essay at the beginning of the The Stand that anyone who's written can sympathize with, where King says he nearly abandoned the novel, but 80,000 words or so, in, it was too much of an investment for him to let it go.

So he went for a walk and it came to him, he needed to start killing-off characters, and set up oppostions, he'd also set up too many strands and storylines to contend with, and then the gem comes for us: to go with ON WRITING, there's some great advice on these struggles in The Stand intro essay, on say - plotted vs organic writing, and King explains why (even though he's written a number of plotted novels and doesn't always use a deus ex machina to conclude his plots) he prefers to do the latter. When you read King you can see there's really no choice for him, he's found his way over many years, and through experience.

I know we have run long threads here on this, plotted vs organic, and although this is screenwriting, it can be of use to writers of screenplays, I stuggle to outline, I have to work in my head a lot, before I get it down, there are quite a few downsides to that way in.

I keep trying to outline, but it takes off some of the shine and impetus to write, so I tend to think, well okay, the first draft is exactly that. I know that there aren't many writers who do this, if the book "101 Habits of Pro-Screenwriters..." is anything to go by, 1/10 of the contribs doesn't outline, neither does Alex Garland apparenty, except in the sense of a basic road map, (see his q and a entry in Moviemakers' Masterclass, Faber &F). I figure it's finding out how you work/write/think. And that's what really matters!

nb- King's advice is straddled between the reprint of THE STAND, and ON WRITING. for anybody who is interested in dipping in.
                                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Working...
                                X