Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you reading, right now...

I used to have the good habit of only reading one thing at a time, but the older I get the more I find myself falling into the habit if juggling a few different things at the same time. At the moment:

HARDWARE 2: GROUND ZERO- a screenplay by Richard Stanley

SWORDS AND DEVILTRY - a novel by Fritz Lieber

THE TWELVE BASIC PLOTS - a Jungian analysis of storytelling by Christopher Booker.

VAMPIRE$ - an audiobook of the novel by John Steakly.
    SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
    http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
    sigpic
    "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

Originally posted by BChristgau View Post
      HARDWARE 2: GROUND ZERO- a screenplay by Richard Stanley
      Is this new or old?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
        Just read Stay by David Benioff all the way through for the first time last night.

I see why that script created a bidding war, now.

Great story and characters. Creative storytelling method. But...

No voice. The writing was just bland. "Sam goes here and then does this and sees this person and leaves the room."

It was kind of eyeopening. Benioff, this highly respected, sought-after, A-list juggernaut doesn't worry an inkling about voice.

It's all story. ALL STORY.
        Had a convo about this with a writer from this board a while back.

I'd modify your post a bit...

IT'S ALL CONTENT.

Voice is something that is inherent to the writer.

Style is something more seasoned writers use to help set tone (first and foremost). It's also something green writers ape thinking it makes the read stand out. It's also something green writers mistake for voice.

But really, only content matters. What's happening in the scenes? Are these characters interesting? Is the story interesting? Are the settings fresh? Is the action dynamic--not the action description, i mean the actual action that is taking place.

There are a LOT of big writers who write great scripts with fairly stripped down, straight forward description. They can do this because they are sure their scenes are working. They are sure their story is unfolding properly. They are sure that the content of the screenplay is interesting.

For me, these scripts tend to read better than the flashily written ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
          Yeah, it was pretty eyeopening to read Benioff. I've read so many "flashily" written scripts that I forgot how nice the stripped down style reads.

It makes you feel like the writer knows he can just let his story speak for itself. It oozes confidence far more than the flashy voice scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
            Had a convo about this with a writer from this board a while back.

I'd modify your post a bit...

IT'S ALL CONTENT.

Voice is something that is inherent to the writer.

Style is something more seasoned writers use to help set tone (first and foremost). It's also something green writers ape thinking it makes the read stand out. It's also something green writers mistake for voice.

But really, only content matters. What's happening in the scenes? Are these characters interesting? Is the story interesting? Are the settings fresh? Is the action dynamic--not the action description, i mean the actual action that is taking place.

There are a LOT of big writers who write great scripts with fairly stripped down, straight forward description. They can do this because they are sure their scenes are working. They are sure their story is unfolding properly. They are sure that the content of the screenplay is interesting.

Excellent point. I was told by a producer a while back that lean and mean makes for an easier read and, as a former reader myself, I was more interested in what was happening "on screen" rather than a writer's turn of phrase.

Tarantino doesn't overwrite and he tells good stories.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Just finished:
              • They Fought for Each Other - Kelly Kennedy (non-fiction)
              • Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach (non-fiction)
              • The Hunger Games Series - Suzanne Collins (fiction)

Reading:
              • The Looming Tower: Al- Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 -Lawrence Wright (non-fiction)
              • A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin (fiction)
              • Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (fiction)
              "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

Just read "Beowulf" for the first time. Seamus Heaney translation/parallel text, with the Anglo-Saxon on the left-hand page. An 'amazing' piece of writing to borrow a word out of Prof Brian Coxes, Stargazing, TV vocab.

Heaney disusses the problem of turning it into a film during an interesting intro on the problems of translating the poem and its world. It doesn't have the indirect cultural identity of Homer's Iliad or Odyssey, the characters are too remote, from an alien chivalric culture and their names are often difficult and unfamiliar.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

The prose version of The Illiad
                  I learned to write by writing - Neil Gaiman

Comment

Working my way through the Flashman novels by George MacDonald Fraser. Harry Flashman... what a superb character!

Comment

Bad Boys screenplay.

Code:
                      As they head toward their car, Burnett's BEEPER SOUNDS.
                      He switches it OFF.
                      If that doesn't date a screenplay, I don't know what does.
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I'm reading a book about the history of Wonder Woman. It is fascinating.
                        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                          I'm reading a book about the history of Wonder Woman. It is fascinating.
                          Are there pictures? 'Cause if it's about a wonder woman, I'm gonna need pictures. Real ones, too.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                            Are there pictures? 'Cause if it's about a wonder woman, I'm gonna need pictures. Real ones, too.

HH
                            It does have pictures. It's a historical book, though, not a graphic novel. It's called Wonder Woman: The Complete History
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver.
                              @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                                It does have pictures. It's a historical book, though, not a graphic novel. It's called Wonder Woman: The Complete History
                                You wouldn't be going up for a Wonder Woman pitch, would you?

Comment

Working...
                                X