What are you reading, right now...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: What are you reading, right now...

    Originally posted by AlexNoa View Post
    You wouldn't be going up for a Wonder Woman pitch, would you?
    I wish. Perhaps someday.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: What are you reading, right now...

      Just finished these black list scripts.

      "Chewie" by Evan Susser, Van Robichaux

      A satirical, behind-the-scenes look at the making of "Stars Wars" through the eyes of Peter Mayhew, who played Chewbacca.
      ----
      "In the Event of a Moon Disaster" by Mike Jones

      An alternate telling of the historic Apollo 11 mission to the moon that examines what might have happened if the astronauts had crash-landed there.
      ---
      "The End" by Aron Eli Coleite

      Four people -- a veteran broadcaster in London, a 16-year-old girl and her boyfriend in Ann Arbor, Mich., and a devoted family man in Shanghai -- each try to make peace with their lives before an interstellar event ends the world in six hours.
      ---
      "Leaving Pete" by Ali Ali Waller, Morgan Murphy

      A recently divorced author is stunned when his ex writes a popular book about their breakup and he has to keep that fact secret from his new girlfriend, who works for the book's publisher.
      ---

      I recommend them all. REALLY TOP NOTCH.

      If anybody needs PDFs shoot me an email to dmatthew113 (at) gmail.com and I will shoot them over to you.

      D.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: What are you reading, right now...

        Currently reading:

        -Hamlet

        -A Clash of Kings

        -The Anarchy of Imagination (a book of interviews, essays and preparatory writings by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.)

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: What are you reading, right now...

          Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          Currently reading:

          -Hamlet

          -A Clash of Kings

          -The Anarchy of Imagination (a book of interviews, essays and preparatory writings by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.)
          Which edition of Hamlet, out of interest?
          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: What are you reading, right now...

            Just read White House Down today. Definitely could be an action classic with the right director/cast.
            Twitter: @jboffer

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: What are you reading, right now...

              Originally posted by jboffer View Post
              Just read White House Down today. Definitely could be an action classic with the right director/cast.
              Have you read Olympus Has Fallen too? I've asked a few people how they stack up and I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
              @MacBullitt

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: What are you reading, right now...

                Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                Have you read Olympus Has Fallen too? I've asked a few people how they stack up and I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
                I have not, but I'd be interested to. Don't have the script.

                EDIT: Scratch that. Got it. Report back later.
                Last edited by jboffer; 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM.
                Twitter: @jboffer

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: What are you reading, right now...

                  Ok, read Olympus Has Fallen. I can see why Gerald Butler wanted the role. He won't have to be bothered with conveying a single emotion or tasked with delivering a line that has weight or meaning.

                  *MINOR SPOILERS -- Basic outline, nothing ruined, no twists given away, etc*

                  White House Down (WHD) wins overall. By a lot. There were a lot of shocking similarities between them, though. I don't see how they could cut trailers for them that make the films look any different, aside from the casting. Sure, you can release "No Strings Attached" and "Friends with Benefits" or two asteroid movies and people will think that's funny, but can you REALLY release two films about secret service agents stuck in the White House after its taken over? We shall see I guess.

                  In WHD, our protag is stuck in the White House right when it's taken over and has to protect the President (and also has to worry about his daughter who was taken hostage). The script also manages to keep giving him mini goals about what he has to do / go to next. It moves along nicely, and there's always a purpose. We also know some things about the character.

                  In Olympus, we know next to nothing about our protag. And after the White House is under control of the villains, it takes for ****ing ever for this guy to get in the White House. He didn't have a plan as to why he wanted to get in the White House, he was just thinking, "Oh, I need to protect the President" so we wait for him to get in via some under ground tunnels. In the meantime, the President, Vice President, and other White House hostages are locked in the President's secure bunker with the villains. The thing is impenetrable. This is where the script failed: it was boring that they were locked up in there for most of the script. WHD made a better choice by having characters attempt to get to the bunker but unable to. Meanwhile, our Gerald Butler gets inside the White House, and it's a bit of an embarrassment: what's he supposed to do? He just gets inside and finds himself running around trying not to get killed. It's not until he gets caught that he's actual able to affect anything in the story. Whereas, in WHD, our protag had the President at his side for quite awhile, and also had to worry about his daughter.

                  WHD is better. It makes more sense for the protag to have already been trapped in the white house went the **** goes down, instead of having to sneak in (I mean, how do you convey the feeling of TRAPPED, when you SNEAK IN? It loses all effect). In WHD, he constantly had a goal while in the building, and things kept getting worse for him (not the case in Olympus). I thought the action scenes and general devastation had way more potential in WHD--felt way more like a thrill ride, whereas Olympus just felt like PUNCH, PUNCH, SHOOT, SHOOT. I wanted more cleverness and inventiveness. I do think the concept behind the villains and their motivation was better in Olympus, so it's too bad we can't just plop that into WHD.
                  Twitter: @jboffer

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: What are you reading, right now...

                    Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                    Ok, read Olympus Has Fallen. I can see why Gerald Butler wanted the role. He won't have to be bothered with conveying a single emotion or tasked with delivering a line that has weight or meaning.

                    *MINOR SPOILERS -- Basic outline, nothing ruined, no twists given away, etc*

                    White House Down (WHD) wins overall. By a lot. There were a lot of shocking similarities between them, though. I don't see how they could cut trailers for them that make the films look any different, aside from the casting. Sure, you can release "No Strings Attached" and "Friends with Benefits" or two asteroid movies and people will think that's funny, but can you REALLY release two films about secret service agents stuck in the White House after its taken over? We shall see I guess.

                    In WHD, our protag is stuck in the White House right when it's taken over and has to protect the President (and also has to worry about his daughter who was taken hostage). The script also manages to keep giving him mini goals about what he has to do / go to next. It moves along nicely, and there's always a purpose. We also know some things about the character.

                    In Olympus, we know next to nothing about our protag. And after the White House is under control of the villains, it takes for ****ing ever for this guy to get in the White House. He didn't have a plan as to why he wanted to get in the White House, he was just thinking, "Oh, I need to protect the President" so we wait for him to get in via some under ground tunnels. In the meantime, the President, Vice President, and other White House hostages are locked in the President's secure bunker with the villains. The thing is impenetrable. This is where the script failed: it was boring that they were locked up in there for most of the script. WHD made a better choice by having characters attempt to get to the bunker but unable to. Meanwhile, our Gerald Butler gets inside the White House, and it's a bit of an embarrassment: what's he supposed to do? He just gets inside and finds himself running around trying not to get killed. It's not until he gets caught that he's actual able to affect anything in the story. Whereas, in WHD, our protag had the President at his side for quite awhile, and also had to worry about his daughter.

                    WHD is better. It makes more sense for the protag to have already been trapped in the white house went the **** goes down, instead of having to sneak in (I mean, how do you convey the feeling of TRAPPED, when you SNEAK IN? It loses all effect). In WHD, he constantly had a goal while in the building, and things kept getting worse for him (not the case in Olympus). I thought the action scenes and general devastation had way more potential in WHD--felt way more like a thrill ride, whereas Olympus just felt like PUNCH, PUNCH, SHOOT, SHOOT. I wanted more cleverness and inventiveness. I do think the concept behind the villains and their motivation was better in Olympus, so it's too bad we can't just plop that into WHD.
                    Thanks very much for taking the time to do that, jboffer. Much appreciated.
                    @MacBullitt

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: What are you reading, right now...

                      Rolling through the Jason Bourne screenplays at the moment.
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: What are you reading, right now...

                        I'm reading Persian Fire by Tom Holland, a non-fiction account of a 5th century BC world superpower, Persia, battling two terrorist states, Athens and Sparta.

                        For some reason it keeps reminding me of something...
                        TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: What are you reading, right now...

                          Read the Hunger Games the other day in preparation for seeing it Saturday. Also reading some local novelists so I don't feel stupid when I meet them for coffee.
                          sigpic

                          Website
                          Tweets
                          Book

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: What are you reading, right now...

                            Just started original scroll version of THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac.

                            The publisher isn't kidding when they say the original scroll version - the entire "novel" is one long paragraph, complete with typos and invented words.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: What are you reading, right now...

                              Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                              Which edition of Hamlet, out of interest?
                              I can't really say. It's a Spanish translation, cheap paperback. It doesn't even say who the translator is...

                              Although I'm waiting for an upcoming new translation of all his work, to be released in 4 books: comedies, tragedies, historical dramas and poetry.

                              I'm currently also reading William Goldman's The Season - A Candid Look at Broadway. Very nice book.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: What are you reading, right now...

                                Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                                I'm currently also reading William Goldman's The Season - A Candid Look at Broadway. Very nice book.
                                Where'd you pick that up?

                                HH

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X