Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you reading, right now...

Ah, Mishima. I have several of his books in my reading list. I love Kenzaburo Oe, and especially Yasunari Kawabata, probably my favorite writer. Snow Country, Beauty and Sadness, The Master of Go and The Sound of the Mountain are all amazing novels.

Recently I started reading Tanizaki's The Makioka Sisters but felt it isn't the sort of book I want to read right now.

Have you watched Mishima, a Life in Four Chapters? I quite liked it.

Comment

book: Ham on Rye
      script: Bad Words/Camouflage Guys (next)

Comment

Trying to get through the newish bio of Allan Sherman, "Overweight Sensation." Wonderful for Sherman's own writings, lyrics, and tales from his life, but a lot of clunky attempts by the author to X-ray Sherman's psyche that get in the way of the telling. His supposed insights seem so "off," mean-spirited, and not very smart. Disappointing read as a whole.

I gave away my copy of Sherman's autobiography "Gift of Laughter" a while ago and never got it back, hard to track down; it's a wonderful read. Don't know how much is actually Sherman's writing, it supposedly was ghost-written by Maurice Zolotow. Was hoping the new bio would get into that but hardly mentions the previous book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
          Ah, Mishima. I have several of his books in my reading list. I love Kenzaburo Oe, and especially Yasunari Kawabata, probably my favorite writer. Snow Country, Beauty and Sadness, The Master of Go and The Sound of the Mountain are all amazing novels.

Recently I started reading Tanizaki's The Makioka Sisters but felt it isn't the sort of book I want to read right now.

Have you watched Mishima, a Life in Four Chapters? I quite liked it.
          i find mishima to be a very interesting person. he was utterly pathetic, a coward, narcissist and brilliant. "the temple..." is probably his best work, and encompasses his personality well, with his obsession about beauty and death. allthough sometimes i wonder if the translations are good enough, especially "forbidden colors" is sloppy.

Comment

'Cause I didn't put a hold on it at the library and someone snagged the copy of Galveston, I ended up with Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian, and a book of short stories from The Paris Review.

Comment

Band of Brothers
              Lewis Hunter's Screenwriting 434
              South Beach Diet (for a friend)
              SL35
              Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

Just wanted to say "Ask the Dust" was truly fantastic! Probably one of my favourite books now. so thanks for that advice, whomever you were.

Currently i'm reading Zorba the Greek. A very good book so far, I really enjoyed the movie so I needed more of that Zorba.

Comment

"Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee. I think it truly answers the question as to whether Truman Capote had a hand in TKAM.

Comment

Working...
                  X