No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you reading, right now...

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
    I can't really say. It's a Spanish translation, cheap paperback. It doesn't even say who the translator is...

Although I'm waiting for an upcoming new translation of all his work, to be released in 4 books: comedies, tragedies, historical dramas and poetry.

I'm currently also reading William Goldman's The Season - A Candid Look at Broadway. Very nice book.

Do you mean translated from English into Spanish? Or the other way around? You're reading Shakespeare in Spanish?

If you are reading the play in English then at least have a peak at the versions below for background. Even if you don't buy 'em.

Re collected works, the RIverside Edition is the usual American one, I believe. But Oxford and the RSC are interesting. And affordable in paperback.

The Arden Third Series have now published each of the three versions of Hamlet, which is interesting. What we usually read/get is a conflated text, or one of the longer and later versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Arden-S...3&sr=1-1-spell

http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Texts-T...3&sr=1-2-spell

http://www.amazon.com/Riverside-Shak...sr=1-2-catcorr

The earliest edition, 1603, appears to be a shorter 'stage' version but nobody knows for sure, and longer versions appeared in 1604/5 and 1623 .... the earliest is a quick/fast stripped down version of the play, it has its own charm, and then you have two similar longer versions, 4 hours of material when acted, often with minor cuts.

The shorter version was always seen as a piratical copy and inferior, taken down in performance perhaps back in the day, but now it's a moot point. It may just be a poor copy of what was seen on the stage.

It's a good way to read/approach Hamlet esp. for those interested in screenwriting, because you get the feeling that scripts were adjusted for the stage, performance, which makes sense, like a director's cut, you may lose speed in the longer version but gain depth or characterisation or other twists and turns and perceptions.
    Last edited by The Road Warrior; 04-15-2012, 09:11 AM. Reason: adding links
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
      Where'd you pick that up?

HH
      Here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Season-Can...4396678&sr=8-1

I think I bought it from one of the sellers, not Amazon itself. I bought it after some screenwriter in the Creative Screenwriting Podcast mentioned the book. It's actually really really good.

@The Road Warrior: translated from English to Spanish. Although I try to read English and American writers in the original version, Shakespeare's English is too confusing to me at times.

Comment

Thanks, Doc.

Big Goldman fan, and I peruse Alibris every once in awhile looking for it.

Been a little wary about using sellers on Amazon as I've ordered a couple books, and then find out four or five days later, "so sorry, our mistake, we really don't have it". I'll check it out again, though.

HH

Comment

Really? I've bought maybe 20 books from different sellers both in Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, and never had a single bad experience.

OTOH, the price Amazon is asking is totally reasonable, if buying from them directly gives you peace of mind. Great book.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            Thanks, Doc.

Big Goldman fan, and I peruse Alibris every once in awhile looking for it.

Been a little wary about using sellers on Amazon as I've ordered a couple books, and then find out four or five days later, "so sorry, our mistake, we really don't have it". I'll check it out again, though.

HH

I've had that once or twice, it's naughty, on the whole it's been a good service, but I think it's an inventory problem for some of the big sellers who have warehouses the size of the one at the end of Raiders of the LA.
            Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              Here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Season-Can...4396678&sr=8-1

I think I bought it from one of the sellers, not Amazon itself. I bought it after some screenwriter in the Creative Screenwriting Podcast mentioned the book. It's actually really really good.

@The Road Warrior: translated from English to Spanish. Although I try to read English and American writers in the original version, Shakespeare's English is too confusing to me at times.

Yeah, I guessed as much, wouldn't be my second option, that was being light-hearted!

English native speakers, myself included -- and I've read the whole of the works and some plays in particular many times -- often struggle, some words/expressions are still not understood by anyone.

If I tried to read Don Quixote in the orig Spanish of 1605, I'd struggle, well, I have, I picked up a copy in Spain in Alicante years ago, I dip in, hence why I've just read it again in translation. I'd like to be able to read it in the original one day though.

Comment

The Power Broker - Robert Caro

Holy hell, it is quite a read. Looking forward to his new book on LBJ.
                "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
                  Don't know if I have your respect or admiration, but have you read The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness?
                  Seems Charlie Kaufman likes it too...

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/char...ranchise-play/
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Just read an old draft for the Highlander reboot. I'm...
                    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                      If I tried to read Don Quixote in the orig Spanish of 1605, I'd struggle, well, I have, I picked up a copy in Spain in Alicante years ago, I dip in, hence why I've just read it again in translation. I'd like to be able to read it in the original one day though.
                      I'd struggle with some words here and there, too.

Comment

... two recent reads -

Fire Season (Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout)
                        by Philip Connors

His experiences working on a fire watchtower in the Gila Mountains, Southern-USA.[/I] [/I]Very well written, a bit different. Lots of references to Kerouac, and similar writing, a compendium of outdoor writing and experience.

Norwegian Wood by
                        Haruki Murakami

A narrator reflects on his troubled relationships with two women he met as a student, 20 years earlier. Moving.Marathon runner and novelist, Murakami keeps popping up on my radar, he's selling plenty of books. Apparently.
                        Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-24-2012, 05:20 AM. Reason: de-bolding. Why would I bold this?

Comment

Does Balzac count?

Comment

Originally posted by titans View Post
                            Does Balzac count?
                            -only if you read Dostoyevsky as well, otherwise - No.

Comment

Of course Titans, Balzac, literature of any type, non-fiction, SF, horror, pulps, whatever and whichever you read, if it's got words on the page -- excepting train timetables -- it counts.

ps- it's a relaxed thread to highlight the scope of reading habits in here. Or is that 'on here', are we "in here" or "on here". I can never tell.

Comment

Currently reading Ben Hecht's autobiography "A Child of the Century".

Comment

Working...
                                X