Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Made A Book Trailer

Here's a book trailer for my latest novel. Tell me what you think.

Re: I Made A Book Trailer

Originally posted by Derek Haas View Post
    Hey Derek, that's pretty cool! I'll be looking for it. How long did it take to write?

On a related topic--something I've been wondering about for a while--is writing novels a way to retain creative control of a recurring character?

Say I have a story with a protagonist I think would be great in a number of installments. If I sell a screenplay with this character, am I correct in assuming the studio then own the rights to that character and any subsequent works like novels, film sequels, tv shows, etc.? On the other hand, what happens if I wrote that story first in novel form, then sell a screenplay based on my novel? Am I then free to write subsequent novels with my character?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

It lost me at "book," but won me back at "bare-breasted Medusa."

That actually seems awesome.

Trailers for books. What will they think of next...
      "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
      - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewrites View Post
          Hey Derek, that's pretty cool! I'll be looking for it. How long did it take to write?

On a related topic--something I've been wondering about for a while--is writing novels a way to retain creative control of a recurring character?

Say I have a story with a protagonist I think would be great in a number of installments. If I sell a screenplay with this character, am I correct in assuming the studio then own the rights to that character and any subsequent works like novels, film sequels, tv shows, etc.? On the other hand, what happens if I wrote that story first in novel form, then sell a screenplay based on my novel? Am I then free to write subsequent novels with my character?

Thanks

Mike
          Great question, Mike. Yes, if you write an original screenplay and sell the rights, the copyright moves over to the studio.

With a novel, you maintain the copyright, and most likely can continue to write novels with that character. However, unless you have the power of say, JK Rowling, they can and will do anything they want with the adaptation of your work. The movie might not resemble the novel at all.

It took me about a year to write that book. It's my fourth novel.

Comment

Hey Derek,

Looks cool! I have a question for you. Do your people at Industry & WME deal with your book stuff, or do you have separate book agents? When I've brought up writing a book with my reps in the past, they get kind of finicky and want me to concentrate on screenwriting.

Comment

Tell them to suck it!

I have a separate book agent... who happens to be at WME but in NYC. The great Mel Berger.

Comment

Can I just say when the bare-breasted Medusa came up, I made sure the left hand had no idea what the right hand was doing. He can get so jealous.

Cheap and easy masturbatory gags aside, good trailer . Loved the graphics at the start. Very professional.

Comment

Great question, Mike. Yes, if you write an original screenplay and sell the rights, the copyright moves over to the studio.

With a novel, you maintain the copyright, and most likely can continue to write novels with that character. However, unless you have the power of say, JK Rowling, they can and will do anything they want with the adaptation of your work. The movie might not resemble the novel at all.

It took me about a year to write that book. It's my fourth novel.
                  Thanks. A year seems pretty fast considering how full your screenwriting plate must be.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewrites View Post
                    Thanks. A year seems pretty fast considering how full your screenwriting plate must be.
                    If you've ever had a meal with Derek you'd know: a full plate is no impediment to progress. That man moves through a full plate like Earl Campbell used to move through a front four--with great ease and purpose.

Congratulations, Derek. Can't wait to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Koppelman View Post
                      If you've ever had a meal with Derek you'd know: a full plate is no impediment to progress. That man moves through a full plate like Earl Campbell used to move through a front four--with great ease and purpose.

I like that. Never know when the next one's going to come along.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Koppelman View Post

I like any way in which I am compared to Earl Campbell.

Comment

Good work. If you're going for the tone of Tom Clancy or Vince Flynn, I think you've nailed it. Look forward to reading this (for the record, I've read two of your other novels).

It also reminded me of this too haha (around the 1 minute mark) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXf_eaQcSdM
                          "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I love espionage and spy thrillers, I read a lot of them. I think the book sounds great and I may read it. But, I didn't like the trailer. It felt stock to me, like there wasn't much connection to the story other than the narration, the visuals didn't really support it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                              I love espionage and spy thrillers, I read a lot of them. I think the book sounds great and I may read it. But, I didn't like the trailer. It felt stock to me, like there wasn't much connection to the story other than the narration, the visuals didn't really support it, IMO.
                              As I said, I quite like it. But mainly the start. Activating my rarely used Bachelor Honors in Illustration and Computer Animation From Southampton University (*Cough* NAME DROP!), Derek, if it were me, I would delete gun, mushroom cloud, cross-over bikes and Medusa. As SB said, it does look stock, but aside from that, it kind of makes the trailer a bit muddled and diffused.

This looks the most professional when the white line graphic eats across the screen and the (I assume) Hero is focal point.

Imagine removing those three stock images. Focus on the cool graphic. Remove the more disparate imagery and stick to the line graphics over the hero. Treat it as a teaser. To be honest that, with the text/V.O., was enough to make me want to read.

Sometimes less is more.

I think that definitely is the case here.

Comment

Working...
                              X