Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Screenwriters Can Learn From Picasso

After speaking with my Friend/Mentor/Sometimes Employer about my current writing Assignment he wrote this article...I think it is great, helped me out, hope you enjoy.

The link is below- there are some pictures, very cool.

http://www.writeyourscreenplay.com/2...-screenwriter/

Re: What Screenwriters Can Learn From Picasso

thanks. that is exactly what i needed to read today.

Comment

Interesting. But mostly from an early ideas stages of a project, or sketching as sort of a way to get juices flowing.

However, screenwriting is usually not truly "free" artistic expression like a painting. No one is going to give Picasso notes and tell him to change this or take out that with his painting. Also, after Picasso is finished, someone else isn't hired to repaint the painting, as is done in screenwriting.

Painting can be a singular expression, where as screenwriting is usually much more of a collaborative process. Imo, the thing that's difficult about screenwriting is not being creative, or just going off and writing whatever you want freely, anybody can do that, and if you can't take some drugs to help. The hard part is the collaborative process, the taking of notes, the rewriting, trying to fit someone else's vision into your artistic expression.

I wonder what movies would be like if all screenwriters were allowed to go off and write whatever they want, unmolested like a painter, and then whatever they wrote was then shot verbatim as a piece of art? Or a piece of something.

Comment

I never picasso in public.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks
          that's not what the article is saying at all. Picasso needed 57 sketches to know, ultimately, how to execute a masterpiece. as writers, the author is suggesting/urging that we give ourselves the freedom to fail and learn similarly along the path to a finished product. the collaborative process on that product can, and often should, still happen. but before that, freeing up one's mind to the kind of deep exploration of subjects and themes in the same way that Picasso did with his preparatory sketches can be another route that gets you where you ultimately need to go
          Fair enough. Like I said, to me it's more early stages, "let's get creative" type stuff. Probably applies more to early specs where one is exploring screenwriting, still pondering whether screenwriting is purely art. All I'm pointing out is there are some MAJOR differences between painting and screenwriting. One difference is that one is pure art, the other less so.

One way to tell if something is pure art is whether or not it serves another function. Paintings don't serve much function other than to be appreciated. Screenplays fulfill a pretty big function beyond pure appreciation. A screenplay is a functional document whether it took 57 drafts or 3. Screenplays are the blueprint or master plan that provide a means for making something else (movie).

Every screenplay does not need to be "deep", like a Picasso. A screenplay need only be deep enough to service the movie being built using that screenplay. So in terms of depth, it varies.

I don't mean to knock the article. It's well written. In fact some aspiring writers might "fall for-" I mean be inspired by this article and they can aspire toward Picasso-like deepness in all their screenplays, which is fine. Personally, the article didn't inspire me and came across as something one might hear in a seminar by one of those so-called gurus.

Some people have no problem "getting creative". Some are just born that way, kind of like, uh, Picasso(in whatever field they're in). And some people are not very creative by nature, and it seems like the majority of those people are trying to be screenwriters and glam on to guru-speak so that the gurus may bestow them with creativity (talent). Pay your money to gurus, see if it works. It'll only work if you're talented to begin with. In which case you should have saved your dough.

----oh, looks like JoeBanks took down the post I quoted here. I knew I should have waited to respond-------

Comment

What Screenwriters Can Learn From Picasso

Nearly forty years after Picasso's death, some fools will pay a large sum of money to attend a writers' workshop simply because the writer of a "TV movie" (released ten years ago) used Picasso's name to compare the painter's abstract sketches with his own "organic" writing of a screenplay.

The road to success in Hollywood, for some screenwriters, does not depend upon one's talent as much as it does upon the abundant application of bovine manure.
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
            X