• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karsten
    replied
    Re: The New Black List

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
    Franklin, is there a way to update the uploaded script without deleting the listing?
    This is my question as well.

Leave a comment:

• mgwriter
    replied

Franklin created the original Blacklist and it took off and grew beyond expectations. It actually became something of VALUE.

However, Franklin was not paid for creating the value laden Blacklist.

Blacklist 3.0 is Franklin getting paid for creating the original Blacklist which now has value and pedigree. (everyone deserves to be compensated, but since industry pros benefit so much from the list, maybe he could have tried to collect on that end).

The reason it's so difficult for aspiring writers to break through is not because there is a lack of avenues. The reason it is so difficult is because the overwhelming majority of scripts sent in are not BOTH well written and highly marketable. The few that are will get through the normal channels. The scripts that are well written but not marketable may get writers looked at as well.

Blacklist 3.0 is not going to change the fact that most scripts are not ready for prime time. If people are not responding to a writer's script or query, it's probably not because it just needs to be listed in the right place. It's probably because the concept is not very compelling and/or script not written well enough.

BL 3.0 will only help those writers who probably don't need the help in the first place. Everyone else will remain in the same boat with a few less dollars in their pockets. However, if it takes spending $75-$150 to learn a lesson about why a script isn't getting through, then I guess it's money well spent.

Leave a comment:

• stainjm
    replied

Originally posted by cshel View Post
    Another thing that I realized about this from reading a post on the other BL thread. (There really should be one thread on this somehow.)

The poster joined, unrated, and immediately had some views. He probably correctly came to the conclusion that every time another curious unrepped writer reads your logline it will count as a view. So you could have 500 views and no read requests without knowing if a professional ever read your LL. You could come to the erroneous conclusion that nobody is requesting your script because the pros don't like your LL, etc., and take it off, when that might not even be the case.

One of my concerns is the fact that all unrepped writers could see all the others. Here's another reason why that's not a good idea. It muddies the whole tracking of your stats benefit, one of the supposed selling points.
    Yes! (I think that was me)

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

You don't agree? Surely you'd rather the merits of your screenplays assessed on the basis of the script itself, rather than what you're able to cram into a one or two sentence logline?

Leave a comment:

• ATB
    replied

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    I think one of the problems with the current system is that it relies very heavily on "the logline" or "the concept" rather than "the script" and "the execution".
    How is this a problem?

Leave a comment:

• Rhodi
    replied

I think one of the problems with the current system is that it relies very heavily on "the logline" or "the concept" rather than "the script" and "the execution".

In my utopian la-la land, companies would employ additional in-house readers to review a greater amount of material, but it appears the trend in that regard is in the other direction.

Leave a comment:

• JeffLowell
    replied

It's an interesting idea. My guess is that most people will just read scripts that get great coverage. I can't see busy CEs giving themselves homework by entering in their detailed reaction to scripts. But maybe...

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Alexander
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    I have a couple of questions. Sincere questions.

Let's say a writer researches contacts and develops a list of those most likely to be interested in scripts like their own. Then queries a logline to this targeted list only to end up with radio silence, no reads. Why would the same logline be more likely to garner reads on the NBL?

Is it because the reader can remain anonymous? He/she doesn't have to reveal their identity to the writer and deal with anxious 'Did you read it yet?' emails. Is it the coverage score?

I guess I'm still not clear on why this service improves your odds over traditional querying. Doesn't it still come down to concept first?
    Because the writers' targets, i.e., buyers/reps create a profile within the system that includes their preferences and taste as interpreted by ranking a minimum of 50 scripts and thereby generating matches. The system takes that profile and then finds scripts which match in terms of genre, ratings, etc.. So, the reads aren't being generated by someone seeing your logline, as they would in traditional queries, they are generated by the system matching your script to people who have already expressed an interest in its qualities.

The theory seems to be that, as users add data into the system about their own taste, the system gets really good at predicting if you will like a script or not, and then actively pings the user with specific recommendations.

At least that's how it seems to work. I started rating scripts and I can see it starting to dial in the prediction on how I will rate i the future. Pretty interesting.

Leave a comment:

• cshel
    replied

Another thing that I realized about this from reading a post on the other BL thread. (There really should be one thread on this somehow.)

The poster joined, unrated, and immediately had some views. He probably correctly came to the conclusion that every time another curious unrepped writer reads your logline it will count as a view. So you could have 500 views and no read requests without knowing if a professional ever read your LL. You could come to the erroneous conclusion that nobody is requesting your script because the pros don't like your LL, etc., and take it off, when that might not even be the case.

One of my concerns is the fact that all unrepped writers could see all the others. Here's another reason why that's not a good idea. It muddies the whole tracking of your stats benefit, one of the supposed selling points.

Leave a comment:

• falcon18
    replied

This could be a good gamble for exceptional writers. The cream scripts will get plenty of attention. Another credible outlet is always good... of course naive writers with bad scripts will finance the whole experiment.

Leave a comment:

• figment
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post

Let's say a writer researches contacts and develops a list of those most likely to be interested in scripts like their own. Then queries a logline to this targeted list only to end up with radio silence, no reads. Why would the same logline be more likely to garner reads on the NBL?

Is it because the reader can remain anonymous? He/she doesn't have to reveal their identity to the writer and deal with anxious 'Did you read it yet?' emails. Is it the coverage score?
    I would imagine it would be because of the coverage score. Because they'd feel like it would be worth their time -- somebody else has already given it a thumbs up.

I just don't know why anyone would keep a script up if it wasn't given a great score, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
    Jeff,

The shorter answer:

A Wednesday query email to a manager who NEVER reads query emails. But that week, the manager agreed to promote his assistant to junior manager. And feeling empowered, this not-yet-junior manager went through the trash bin of his boss's email box. And the not-yet-manager confessed that he noticed my query email because he's Korean and my name is Korean. And he requested the script because the logline felt promising.

And then the following Monday, he told his boss "You have to read this script. It's amazing." The boss would reply "Don't get too excited about query letters. They are all bad. Read a dozen more and you'll know exactly what I mean." And every single day, the assistant would bother the boss "You have to read the script, you have to read the script." And the assistant called me every other day and lied with "My boss really digs the concept. He's busy but it's on his desk." So it took another month for the boss to read it. And probably another week before WME, UTA, and CAA all expressed interest on the same script that was unanswered by 50+ query letters except for that one assistant who felt empowered that one week.

So it was through a query letter. And lots of fortunate timing for everyone.

The longer answer deals with my writing journey which is not nearly as relevant in this thread about Blacklist and about using any means to find the one gatekeeper who will champion your script.
    Love this kinda stuff. Good for you, Ham.

HH

Leave a comment:

• Hamboogul
    replied

Jeff,

The shorter answer:

A Wednesday query email to a manager who NEVER reads query emails. But that week, the manager agreed to promote his assistant to junior manager. And feeling empowered, this not-yet-junior manager went through the trash bin of his boss's email box. And the not-yet-manager confessed that he noticed my query email because he's Korean and my name is Korean. And he requested the script because the logline felt promising.

And then the following Monday, he told his boss "You have to read this script. It's amazing." The boss would reply "Don't get too excited about query letters. They are all bad. Read a dozen more and you'll know exactly what I mean." And every single day, the assistant would bother the boss "You have to read the script, you have to read the script." And the assistant called me every other day and lied with "My boss really digs the concept. He's busy but it's on his desk." So it took another month for the boss to read it. And probably another week before WME, UTA, and CAA all expressed interest on the same script that was unanswered by 50+ query letters except for that one assistant who felt empowered that one week.

So it was through a query letter. And lots of fortunate timing for everyone.

The longer answer deals with my writing journey which is not nearly as relevant in this thread about Blacklist and about using any means to find the one gatekeeper who will champion your script.

Leave a comment:

• mge457
    replied

Quick note Franklin, when I received the invite 2 days ago, it went straight to my spam folder in Gmail. Not sure what triggered it as spam, but thought it was something worth mentioning.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

I guess I'm still not clear on why this service improves your odds over traditional querying. Doesn't it still come down to concept first?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X