X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itsallgood
    replied
    Re: The New Black List

I read the blog post and listened to the interview, thanks for the info. I still have a concern about the low level readers. In my view they've always had too much power. In this model, they have even more because now they don't just influence one company's opinion, but many. If you query on your own, and a random reader doesn't like it, that's it, but here their negative opinion affects others as well. I know you can hide a negative review, but people aren't dense.

Also, I don't like a system that says "I can read yours, you can't read mine" to the people who are unprotected by the WGA (if it comes to litigation) for plagiarism. If anything, it should be the other way around, no?

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Why would you want to give professional writers access to amateur scripts? What's the point? You're like the reverse scriptshadow.

Leave a comment:

• Bitter Script Reader
    replied

I've got a video interview with Franklin up on my blog. It covers a lot of what you're curious about. True, Franklin has answered many of those questions here, but on my site, you get the benefit of seeing him argue with a puppet.

Leave a comment:

• Crashlander
    replied

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    You can edit after sign up. Just click the "Edit Details" button on your script page. Let us know what needs to be changed, and we change it, almost always within twelve hours.

As for my words being "as long as a few weeks," I'm curious where you're quoting that from, because I've never described the time frame in that way. It will vary, yes, based on demand, but our current estimate is two weeks.
    It's on the My Scripts page.

PROFESSIONAL FEEDBACK
    Purchase reader credits to get your script professionaly reviewed. Your script will be read as soon as possible by a Black List reader. Due to high demand during our initial launch, reads may take as long as a few weeks.
    So how come a user can't edit their script details? Is it to prevent someone crazy changing it every day?

Leave a comment:

• FranklinLeonard
    replied

Originally posted by Crashlander View Post
    I joined. Couldn't type into the logline box for some reason, like it was inactive. No problem, I'll just edit it after signup.

YOU CAN'T EDIT AFTER SIGNUP. Now a have a script with no details hosted for $25 a month that won't get read for, in their words, "as long as a few weeks."

Me and The Black List are totally not speaking right now.
    You can edit after sign up. Just click the "Edit Details" button on your script page. Let us know what needs to be changed, and we change it, almost always within twelve hours.

As for my words being "as long as a few weeks," I'm curious where you're quoting that from, because I've never described the time frame in that way. It will vary, yes, based on demand, but our current estimate is two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Crashlander
    replied

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
    Did you e-mail for tech support?
    Yeah, you can request a change to your details. No idea how long that will take. I'm sure it's a safeguard... in case you... edit you own profile. Can you imagine the chaos? We need rules people.

Leave a comment:

• cshel
    replied

I joined. Couldn't type into the logline box for some reason, like it was inactive. No problem, I'll just edit it after signup.

YOU CAN'T EDIT AFTER SIGNUP. Now a have a script with no details hosted for $25 a month that won't get read for, in their words, "as long as a few weeks."

This cracked me up.

Apart from the LL glitch, I don't think the $25 fee should have to be paid until, at the very least, the evaluation is returned to you.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Originally posted by Chief View Post
    It is. Imagine having the highest rated script in a particular genre.

Even if you don't sell because of it, it will look great on your query letter.
    Wait a sec -- you mean I may still have to query the old fashioned way? I thought this was going to change that paradigm?

What would I write in my query:

I had the highest rated script on The New Black List and not one of the 1000 industry members who had access to it were interested. Tracking my New Black List stats, I see my script was read 30 times. But I have no idea who read it and I have no idea what they thought about it. So I'm hoping you may want to read it.

Maybe we should think this through. If you upload a script that gets no interest, it kinda-sorta may be dead, no?

I'm also thinking when you query on your own, it's real easy for a prodco or manager, or their assistants, to check the New Black List and see who may have panned it, because -- if I understand the guidelines correctly -- the comments of those who read a script are not available to the writer. Neither are the names of those who read it. Hmmm.

(Disclaimer: at this point I'm just being a contrarian while killing time until the POTUS debate starts. Seriously, if folks want to spend their money on this grand experiment -- go for it.)

Leave a comment:

• Knaight
    replied

Did you e-mail for tech support?

Leave a comment:

• Chief
    replied

I need to see some screencaps of this website.

Leave a comment:

• Crashlander
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Looks like I'm gonna skip the hookers and blow this month.

HH

Leave a comment:

• InfiniteJest
    replied

Imagine pounding pots of coffee and staring at the your uploaded Script's read stats for three days straight.
    REFRESH...REFRESH... REFRESH...
    This will give a many of us a stroke. But it'll keep me of
    facebook and Tumblr. That alone, might be worth the monthly fees .

Leave a comment:

• Chief
    replied

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    You know, I did think twice about the "50 years" comment but then decided to go with it. Okay -- I am converted! This is next great thing!
    It is. Imagine having the highest rated script in a particular genre.

Even if you don't sell because of it, it will look great on your query letter.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

You know, I did think twice about the "50 years" comment but then decided to go with it. Okay -- I am converted! This is next great thing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X