X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATB
    replied
    Re: The New Black List

I don't know, man. If your logline sucks (and by that, I mean your concept sucks), it's probably a good indicator of whether that script is worth your time or not. Because if the shitty idea behind that script is well-executed, it doesn't really matter. It's still a shitty idea.

But if there's a good idea behind it, then it worth seeing whether or not the script is executed well.

I don't see how anyone can say, "My logline sucks but the script is great." Because you're essentially saying the idea behind your story sucks. And if so, who wants to read/watch a story with a shitty idea?

Leave a comment:

• FoxHound
    replied

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
    Loglines are not scripts. Loglines suck. And good loglines are often lies. A well executed script means there is a talented writer. If there is a system that is slanted towards loglines, that is inverse of where the slant should be, no?
    Originally posted by halloweenjak View Post
    Agree. And my script is just the opposite.

It has a horrible logline, as Lowell pointed out. My logline sounds like a bad Scooby Doo episode, and if I posted in on the Black List site would get ignored.
    I hate to agree with halloweenjak because he unabashedly referred to me as a moron recently (Grr), but he and BDZ are spot on.

So many loglines don't do justice to the script. Mine has an out of this world story, and is chock-full of futuristic, philosophical themes, but I can't cram all that into one bloody sentence.

So the result is a hollow, amateurish logline, which to date, hasn't gotten me any reads.

Leave a comment:

• cshel
    replied

Obviously, if a logline is badly written, meandering, illogical, typo filled, etc., one would probably rightly assume that the script is a mess as well.

But the point I was making with Ham's example (sorry Ham), was that he queried for a long time with no read requests, until a lucky fluke happened, and he finally got someone to read his script, and they loved it. And it was not because his logline was badly written, per se, but probably because no matter how much lipstick he put on the pig, it still sounded like a pig in his LL - an uncommercial sounding script from an unknown writer. But the fact of the matter was - his execution of the concept was so good that it made it a viable project.

I think that that could be the case for many good scripts, that are commercial on some level, but that have loglines that don't spark read requests, even though they may be well executed.

In that respect, I think this BL3 could be a really great venue, especially for those writers who don't have a logline that sounds like a high-concept, big commercial, sure thing. If they get well-reviewed, maybe they can start getting reads finally, that they couldn't get just by cold-querying. And then the script can stand or fall based on its own merits, and not at the mercy of just its logline.

I just wish they would let you get the first review, before paying the fee to join, and not let all of the unrepped writers see every other writer's stuff. Among other things, it messes up the stats. But the important part is whether or not the professionals looking for scripts will really use this method, read some scripts, and participate in reviews. I'm really rooting for it to be a success, because I think it could be a good thing for writers and pros alike.

Leave a comment:

• iknownuffin
    replied

Hi Franklin,

So far I like what I'm reading here but...

Let's say I write a raunchy comedy script. A Blacklist reader
    gives it a very high mark. At this point does Blacklist go
    proactive and send out email alerts to industry professionals who
    have professed an interest in raunchy comedies, or does Blacklist
    wait for the industry professionals to log in to the site and search around?

Leave a comment:

• lordmanji
    replied

Originally posted by karsten View Post
    I went ahead and e-mailed Blacklist support with this question:

The Blacklist's response is encouraging:

Good to know.
    Thanks for the follow up!

Leave a comment:

• karsten
    replied

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
    is there a way to update the uploaded script without deleting the listing?
    I went ahead and e-mailed Blacklist support with this question:

If a user uploads a script and pays the registration fee, can he subsequently update the uploaded script without deleting the listing? That is, can he switch out the initially submitted draft with a new, tweaked draft?

Or is the uploaded script locked in stone, as it were, and would any update to the script require deleting the listing and creating a new listing (and playing the registration fee anew)?
    The Blacklist's response is encouraging:

This is actually a new feature that we'll be rolling out next week. Each screenwriter will be able to update his/her script via the "My Scripts" portal.
    Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• Twofingeredtypist
    replied

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
    Each viewing of your script's individual database page, which is basically your log, genre, and reps (if any).
    Ah, like a page hit? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Sweeney
    replied

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
    Sorry, not familiar with what is going on there, but what is an "impression"?
    Each viewing of your script's individual database page, which is basically your log, genre, and reps (if any).

Leave a comment:

• Twofingeredtypist
    replied

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
    I uploaded my script Wednesday morning. I have 7 impressions, 2 downloads, and 1 rating, but 2-3 impressions and 1 download are from me.
    Sorry, not familiar with what is going on there, but what is an "impression"?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Sweeney
    replied

I uploaded my script Wednesday morning. I have 7 impressions, 2 downloads, and 1 rating, but 2-3 impressions and 1 download are from me.

Leave a comment:

• Hasil Adkins
    replied

For those who have submitted scripts, I'd be interested to hear what kind of traffic (impressions, downloads) they've gotten so far.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Sweeney
    replied

I went ahead and listed AFTER, my sci-fi Page Awards finalist, with an evaluation (still coming). I decided now's the time, when people will be checking the service out for novelty or to be sure they aren't missing something.

Leave a comment:

• ATB
    replied

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
    If it is a problem, then it's a problem. Loglines are not scripts. Loglines suck. And good loglines are often lies. A well executed script means there is a talented writer. If there is a system that is slanted towards loglines, that is inverse of where the slant should be, no?

I have no idea if this system is slanted towards loglines. I like that there are legit people involved and it's cheap.
    I'm just saying "concept is king" for a reason. A well-executed script with a shitty concept was dead at the starting line. But a poorly-executed script with a great concept at least had a chance.

I mean, it depends on what we're talking about. Are we talking about managers/agents/reps looking for writers or producers/execs looking for scripts? If it's the former, execution matters a lot more. If it's the latter, the buck stops at concept. IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Alexander
    replied

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    So are you seeing amateur scripts you've read off queries and giving them ratings?

Do you have to download a script before you can rate it?

Thanks.
    You don't have to download a script to rate it. I haven't rated any scripts that I've read off of cold queries, because those types of projects aren't in the database in any numbers yet.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Alexander
    replied

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
    Geoff, are you insinuating that I wrote a period drama with a female lead? Aren't there articles and seminars telling unrepped writers to avoid those?
    I figured it was a different Korean writer-junior manager duo...glad to know you'd never do something that insane!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X