No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is 'Save the Cat'

People refer to it like it's the bible.

Is it a must read for a relatively new writer (10 months)?

Re: How important is 'Save the Cat'

Personally, I don't think Save The Cat is any more or less valuable than any other how-to screenwriting book. I've read a lot of screenwriting books and they're all pretty much the same; there are usually a few good nuggets of advice, especially for newer screenwriters who are looking for ways to develop their process. If someone is interested in reading books on screenwriting, I'd recommend they read several so that they have differing views and opinions and suggestions that they can consider and ultimately use or discard as they try them out and start to form their own process.

Comment

The danger of screenwriting books is they often present "rules", and these rules are really hard to get out of the back of your mind down the road when you've realized they're not true. The Secrets Of Action Screenwriting is the only book I fully recommend these days. It's an absolute steal for the price. The Screenwriter's Bible I recommend with the caveat that it's mostly just a basic primer. It's useful for getting a grasp on the format.

Tons of free resources too. Listen to the Scriptnotes podcast, if you're not already.

But besides that, just worry about reading scripts and watching movies. And writing.
      Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

I think screenwriting books generally help you get an idea of the basics of the craft. Some are better than others (Save the Cat is better), but they all usually have the same basic ideas throughout that can be valuable when you're first learning structure, etc (even Carson's book, I imagine). The problem is it only gets you through Screenwriter Kindergarten -- you have to travel the rest of the way to get that metaphorical Screenwriter college degree.

But if you look at it as a good starting point, I think those books can be helpful to those just starting out.
        @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps you just need to do the work and find out for yourself.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Enjoy!
          The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

There's no one bible.

Just like in any discipline the knowledge and ideas contained in books can teach you and shorten your learning curve, but all of them require your participation - consider them, challenge their ideas and learn by thinking.

I will say that the production company my partner and I currently write for often use ideas from Save the Cat when delivering script notes to us.
            If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
            Dave Barry

Comment

Never read it.

Oh, I guess THAT's what holding my career back. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps you just need to do the work and find out for yourself.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Enjoy!
                I'm asking for a review so I can decide whether to buy it or not. Or should I buy so I can see whether I should've bought it or not.

If it's just 3 act structure/midpoint/escalation/obstacles/resolution like featured on dozens of websites I won't get it.

But if it's got something else the other websites don't....

Comment

I've heard a rep say she loves it and the book could be the beginning of a solid commercial spec.
                  There's also a bunch of general advice in it.
                  what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Here's the essence of Save the Cat. What redeeming trait do we see a glimpse of early on in the story that makes our audience root for the hero?

Then the book goes on and on with examples and more "tips" because you cannot sell a book with one sentence.

Comment

Thank you Noir!

I'm with SoCalScribe - read a few different books to get different POVs. The most important thing is to be a seeker, not a parrot. A Seeker is looking for all kinds of information so that they can make up their own mind. A parrot just wants someone to tell them what to do. Every screenwriter finds their own way, often cobbled from other people's ways and things they read in some screenplay they loved.

- Bill (apologies to parrot owners)
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

This morning, you started a thread titled, "I'm getting tired of gurus[.]"

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                          This morning, you started a thread titled, "I'm getting tired of gurus[.]"
                          Yeah but that's got nothing to do with writing scripts (structure/character development etc.) - that was about gurus talking about what scripts sell/don't sell etc.

Comment

I'm asking for a review so I can decide whether to buy it or not. Or should I buy so I can see whether I should've bought it or not.

If it's just 3 act structure/midpoint/escalation/obstacles/resolution like featured on dozens of websites I won't get it.

But if it's got something else the other websites don't....
                            Everybody beats up on Blake as if the book was just about the hero being likeable. The book also has a great chapter on what makes a good premise, a great chapter on one approach to outlining with the board and cards - and Exactly how to do that. His much snickered at beat sheet can be useful as well. It is one excellent device that can aid in Plotting. Having said that, I am a seeker, not a parrot, and eagerly await Mr Martell's Act II book. Hurry up Bill!

Comment

Nope. You're either a writer or you're not.

A $9 book or a $50 a month hosting website isn't going to make you one.

And even if you do pay that money for those things, you're not entitled to any results anyway.

Someone please move these posts (this and the guru one, I mean) out of the screenwriting forum. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X