No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Macfarlane, Creepy Imitator

From The New Yorker:

"Now, Seth MacFarlane is thirty-nine, and I am-barely-a part of the generation that he's supposed to be appealing to. But I felt nostalgic last night for the Academy Awards of yore, when I sat on a couch with friends and watched everyone be glamorous and semi-respectable and we got to be gross and snarky. MacFarlane broke through that boundary last night, and suddenly the bitter ******* on the couch was up there on the stage, lost somewhere between a big smile and a sneer."

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...#ixzz2M178iWXr
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Seth Macfarlane, Creepy Imitator

I thought he was one of the better hosts of recent years. Combine that with the fact that the Academy actually awarded some movies that people saw this year and it made for a good show.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

If you have time, ... lot's of it, check out TV blogger Ken Levine's amusing review of 2013 and lenthy litany of comments. He took alot of shots with aplomb, I thought. And pretty entertaining, I'd say. Found it here at one of the RSS feeds.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2013/0...ar-review.html
      " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Wow, the New Yorker found Seth Macfarlane crude. Didn't see that one coming.

Comment

And Vulture. And The Wrap.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/why-s...y-matters.html

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/blog-p...lind-eye-79256

I thought he was about as funny as his shows and movie

Comment

I'm not a fan of Seth MacFarlane, but he was better that I thought he would be. I will give him credit for offering some of the best musical numbers the Oscars have put on in years.

Just having Shirley Bassey sing Goldfinger made the show for me.

Late Night Writer

Comment

I thought Macfarlane was OK, but the tone was off. It was like the academy wanted Ricky Gervais, but were too scared to ask him and went for a sanitized version instead.

I prefer a funny, warm, good natured host, like Billy Crystal, but if they want to go the other way, the academy should grow some balls and go for Ricky.
              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Seth McFarlane was Seth McFarlane. Boob jokes and snark. That's who he is, so they got who they hired and shouldn't expect differently.

The thing that bothered me is pretty much the same thing that always bothers me about the Oscars -- it seemed less a celebration of film than a celebration of song and dance routines. Or Broadway routines. Big dancing and singing numbers on a show ostensibly celebrating film makes no sense to me.

Comment

The thing that bothered me is pretty much the same thing that always bothers
                  me about the Oscars -- it seemed less a celebration of film than a celebration
                  of song and dance routines. Or Broadway routines. Big dancing and singing
                  numbers on a show ostensibly celebrating film makes no sense to me.
                  What would you expect them to do? Show film clips?

Late Night Writer

Comment

I'm not much for boob songs and loser songs (although a single song about both might be good), but I thought he did an okay job.

I liked his opening joke - that the director of Argo was so secret, even the Academy didn't know his name, but I thought his follow-up joke, which no one seemed to get, was a riot: he turned to Ben, and in a not-so-good imitation of Robin Williams a la Good Will Hunting said "It's not your fault, Ben. It's not your fault." THAT'S funny.

Comment

The Times didn't hate it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/mo...-all-ages.html

I think pitching the Oscars to the boy quad is just silly and risks annoying the core audience -- everyone else. Bring back Jon Stewart, IMHO. Or Tina and Amy, even if Tina says she won't do it.
                      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Everyone is familiar with the man's brand of humor. It's no mystery. The time to hem and haw would be when his gig is announced, not afterwards. If anything, Shatner's delivery was a bit rusty (and I love Shatner). My take is that people complain because they feel they have to, it's de rigueur. That, and compaining innoculates them from being thought of as crude. In either case, historically nobody is really happy with the oscar host. Is anyone really surprised?

Comment

I thought he was funny and entertaining, which I've found to be rare during the Oscars. It's a tough room.

Comment

I honestly thought some of the jokes were not strong enough. Its your one chance to shine, I would rack my brain for smart stuff. The key to comedy...limit the bad jokes.
                            The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                              What would you expect them to do? Show film clips?

Late Night Writer
                              Yeah, certainly more clips than song and dance routines, for starters. There are a bunch of ideas I could bring up but how about a segment where some famous directors or stars talk about specific scenes that they really admired from the nominated films. And they explain exasctly why they admire it, explaining the technical or dramatic difficulties, giving us some insight that a layman wouldn't have. Or a segment discussing the latest technological advances -- didn't 48fps make its popular debut this year? Why didn't someone at least mention that, it could change the way movies are made and viewed in the future. And I loved the Shirley Bassey performance as well, definitely a highlight. But how about showing Bond clips behind her as she's singing? (and by the way, that Bond blender edit was horrible, you barely had time to register what you were seeing, terrible MTV edit that gave us nothing to really appreciate. How about showing some actual scenes, discuss, give a little historical perspective ... I mean this is fifty years of the most successful franchise ever.) Take some time, it's a freaking four hour show, you have some time. And if they're worried about the ADD crowd then intersperse technical or historical stuff with celebrity. Like Have Selma Hayek in a low cut dress explaining the latest exciting advances in independent filmmaking. Stuff like that. Make it a real celebration of film as an art form and cultural force, not just a celebrity mugfest interspersed with Broadway stage production.
                              Last edited by winter dreams; 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X