Which podcasts to listen to after Scriptnotes and BAFTA?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which podcasts to listen to after Scriptnotes and BAFTA?

Caught up on old Scriptnotes and down to new shows once a week... Finished BAFTA (except for the Scottish guy whose accent I couldn't understand).... Tried Nerdist Writers and didn't care for it (prefer features to TV)...

What podcasts should I try next?
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Which podcasts to listen to after Scriptnotes and BAFTA?

The ones that don't distract you from writing while you marathon-listen.

Once a week is a good thing. Allows you to focus on other things in the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post

Once a week is a good thing. Allows you to focus on other things in the interim.
      Podcasts don't distract me from writing. They help me learn about writing while I'm doing stuff like exercising, commuting, making dinner, and sorting socks.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
        Podcasts don't distract me from writing. They help me learn about writing while I'm doing stuff like exercising, commuting, making dinner, and sorting socks.
        Buy 100 pairs of identical socks. There - I've just saved a year of your life for you...

Re: podcasts, there is a UK Scriptwriters' podcast on iTunes. It's okay - compared to Scriptnotes it's a bit low-key, although possibly more relevant to writers who are in the early stages of their career.

I'd also recommend commentary tracks. Some have writers on, but even if they don't they often talk about story, how scenes/ideas get cut out, what storytelling techniques work better than others. David Fincher, Danny Boyle and Ridley Scott all do great yak-tracks; the American Beauty one with Sam Mendes/Alan Ball is great, especially if you've read the original script with all the court-room stuff that got cut.
        My stuff

Comment

I had the same dilemma as you and found that "On the Page" with Pilar Alessandra is very good. It is free and she's got almost 300 to go through which will keep you busy in between the weekly scriptnotes.... Onthepagepodcast.com

"Narrative Breakdown" had a few good ones if you can get past the cornball theme song.

Good luck with your writing, I have enjoyed reading your experiences with your script.

Comment

Google USC Zaki Gordon speaker series. Eric Roth, Gary Ross, Simon Kinberg, James Vanderbilt, Susannah Grant, etc. Great stuff. The Gary Ross talk is one the best lectures I've heard.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! My iThing is loaded and ready for socks! Especially looking forward to the "explicit" content from USC....

Comment

Listened to USC/Gary Ross talk. Interesting, but sound quality wasn't great.

Tried three On the Page episodes but couldn't get through any of them. Pilar comes across as a ditz, I found them lacking both content and insight, and they weren't even fun. And she has guests like Julie Grey promoting Middle East peace through screenwriting -- wtf?

Comment

I like:

The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith
                  The Treatment (KCRW)
                  The Business (KCRW)

I also had to abandon the Scottish dude on BAFTA. But what a great series.

As a rule I only listen to these when I'm driving or working out or performing some other activity where I can't write. If anyone has any others, let us know!

Comment

The Nerdist Writers is ok, but like you said, more TV than features.

However, the actual Nerdist podcast is brilliant. I learn so much from that podcast. I highly recommend it. It's not specifically about screenwriting, but you can learn a ton about the industry from listening. And it's entertaining to boot.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I wish On Story worked on my android...
                      www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                      http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                        I wish On Story worked on my android...
                        Works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note phone running Android Ice Cream Sammich... maybe time for you to check again?

Comment

The Q&A is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post

Agree with you there.

Personally, I listen to them in the morning while I'm getting ready, and/or on the way to and from work (instead of music).

Can't listen to them while I write.

Geoff's Q&A is good. Always has been.

Haven't listened to Pilar's On The Page in quite a while. Have taken a class and used her for story consulting a few years ago. One I paid for, the other was an anonymous donation from a pro writer-- never did find out who it was.

Anyway--

Script Notes is good, too. Like the idea that they kinda bounce around on topics.

FA4
                            "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Storymaps is good:http://screenplayhowto.com/category/...iting-podcast/

Comment

Working...
                              X