Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 ways to rewrite your British written spec script so it sells in Hollywood

From Lisa on AS:

http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2013/0...hollywood.html
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: 12 ways to rewrite your British written spec script so it sells in Hollywood

very useful, thanks Lauri

Comment

Re: 12 ways to rewrite your British written spec script so it sells in Hollywood

Originally posted by chrisjonesblog.com
      There's only so much you can fake from the UK by watching US TV shows and movies. When polishing your script, come over to America and spend time in the world of your story. This will bring a whole new level of authenticity to your work.
      This. When I was doing some reading here and there for a few years, I read a few scripts by Brits who ignored this advice. I could tell. Their settings didn't feel like the U.S., although the sluglines claimed that was where we were.

For what it's worth, I believe the same advice goes for settings in general. It helps to have been there before setting your script there.

But I'm not a pro, so take my advice for whatever you believe its value may be.
      "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
      ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

As a Brit living in the US, I've been hammered for these kinds of things before. Of course, if your characters are American, they need to speak like an American, but if I accidentally let the odd 'u' slip into the word 'color'.... relax: King George isn't about to invade.

Funny thing is, I seem to be perfectly capable of reading an American script and 'translating' it on the fly, without it "taking me out of the story."

And it's not just screenwriting. I do this same dance every time I order a sandwich at our work cafeteria:

Server: "Would you like 'tomaayto' and lettuce with that?"

Me: "No 'tomaaato' thankyou."

The server looks at me blankly.

Me: "Look, I understood what you said, so in the context of the question you just asked, the fact that I pronounced two of the three syllables the same should really be enough for you to deduce the intent of my statement."

Server: "Wanker"

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
          Don't hardly know her.

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
            As a Brit living in the US, I've been hammered for these kinds of things before. Of course, if your characters are American, they need to speak like an American, but if I accidentally let the odd 'u' slip into the word 'color'.... relax: King George isn't about to invade.

Funny thing is, I seem to be perfectly capable of reading an American script and 'translating' it on the fly, without it "taking me out of the story."

And it's not just screenwriting. I do this same dance every time I order a sandwich at our work cafeteria:

Server: "Would you like 'tomaayto' and lettuce with that?"

Me: "No 'tomaaato' thankyou."

The server looks at me blankly.

Me: "Look, I understood what you said, so in the context of the question you just asked, the fact that I pronounced two of the three syllables the same should really be enough for you to deduce the intent of my statement."

You've got English speaking servers in your cafeteria? Where are you, Canada?
            If you really like it you can have the rights
            It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Wait, so why are we helping the limey writers to compete with us in Hollywood?

Their actors already play Americans better than we do; are we going to help them write American better than we do too?

If anything, we should be sending them bogus guidelines for how to write American, including a made-up dictionary of translations from British to American English. I'm sure they'll never catch on.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Well, European writers can help you with things that are relevant to the small peas known as the Foreign Box Office.

Comment

Oops, sorry, forgot the emoticons to show I was just kidding around

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                    Oops, sorry, forgot the emoticons to show I was just kidding around
                    It's okay: we're British... we understand sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                    X