Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Diversity in TV Writing

For anyone who might be interested, video talks about lack of Diversity in TV Writing. It's long, like 30 minutes...change is a slow process.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/seg...a76031ae00012c

Re: Lack of Diversity in TV Writing

It's good that they had a diverse panel to talk about the issue. There are a lot of factors that come into play when a showrunner staffs. It will be a slow process and hopefully in that time more opportunities will open up.

Comment

Interesting in its timing, since it's pilot season.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I work with a lot of older writers who have been in the business since the 90s. I think the biggest problem right now is that these straight white males with experience aren't retiring and allowing younger, and generally more diverse, writers to move up the ranks. There seems to be a glut of writers who are willing to work for less since the strike and for more years since the recession took out their bank accounts.

Comment

When I read a subject line like, "lack of diversity in TV writing" I don't think, "Hollywood exhibits a lack of physical diversity," but rather, "Hollywood exhibits a lack of creative diversity."

Finding writers with diverse values and viewpoints, regardless of their sex or race or what have you, might better help the industry create entertainment based on diverse perspectives than a focus on gender or ethnicity.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
            When I read a subject line like, "lack of diversity in TV writing" I don't think, "Hollywood exhibits a lack of physical diversity," but rather, "Hollywood exhibits a lack of creative diversity."

Finding writers with diverse values and viewpoints, regardless of their sex or race or what have you, might better help the industry create entertainment based on diverse perspectives than a focus on gender or ethnicity.
            Easier said...

Most TV writing staffs aren't inclusive (all white & mostly male), despite the presence of diversity writing programs. The staff wants to work with people they can relate to. On the video, one of the people noted that people on the staffs are intimidated by African-American male writers.

I'm a smart, thoughtful African-American heterosexual male who was mocked in school for being the way I am. I grew up lonely. So, I wrote a lot of fiction and non-fiction. Would I be great in a writing room? Sure. The problem of the lack of diversity in TV writing rooms belongs not to the industry, but society itself which is afraid of someone like me.
            Last edited by Madbandit; 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

There should be much more diversity in TV writing. You know, right after this white male gets hired.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post

Agree. "Story" diversity. Let the best writers flourish regardless of what they look like. Let's not replace one dogma with another.

Comment

Working...
                X