You've Never Heard Of This Woman And She's Basically The Most Important Person In Mov

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've Never Heard Of This Woman And She's Basically The Most Important Person In Mov

"Alice Guy-Blaché was a woman of firsts. She did so many awesome things for movies and as you'll see, just about no one has heard of her."

She made the first narrative film along with 1000 other movies and she was the first woman to run a film studio.

http://www.upworthy.com/a-woman-is-o...n-heard-of-her
    Last edited by LauriD; 08-26-2013, 12:04 AM.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

You've Never Heard Of This Woman And She's Basically The Most Important Person In Mov

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
    "Alice Guy Blanche was a woman of firsts. She did so many awesome things for movies and as you'll see, just about no one has heard of her."

She made the first narrative film along with 1000 other movies and she was the first woman to run a film studio.

http://www.upworthy.com/a-woman-is-o...n-heard-of-her
    Thanks. Amazing stuff. I love how they're finding her films and bringing them back to life. Some of her shots are so cool. I'm donating to their kickstarter so they can complete this. I also posted it on my Facebook.

If we all donate a little and spread the word on facebook maybe it will help. Here's their kickstarter link: Be Natural
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Re: You've Never Heard Of This Woman

I tossed a few bucks in the kickstarter. Really interesting story. Looking forward to learning more about it.

I pretty much snoozed through my silent film history class at USC but I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned her.

Comment

Last edited by JeffLowell; 08-23-2013, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Go Alice. They made the goal with 20 plus hours to spare.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Lauri, you've got her name spelled wrong here and on your blog.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              Lauri, you've got her name spelled wrong here and on your blog.
              oops. Thanks. Fixed it.
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

RE: You've Never Heard Of This Woman

They had a program on TMC about Frances Marion -- the pioneering screenwriter of silents and after -- which covered some of Alice Guy-Blaché's contributions.

TMC or PBS. Anyway, I saw it and found it not only highly interesting but quite moving. The integrity and absence of self-indulgence of these early cinematic creators stands in stark contrast to what was to come later, and could provide a missed guideline to how the industry should conduct itself today.

Comment

Working...
                X