Craig Mazin & John August Podcast (Discusses the abuse of writers and Late Payments)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig Mazin & John August Podcast (Discusses the abuse of writers and Late Payments)

I think every screenwriter should read this blog post on the discussion of late payments and abuse of the writers by the studio system. Very informative. And tells you how to deal with the situation if you run into this bullsh*t

http://johnaugust.com/2014/scriptnot...ers-transcript

It was great, thanks. I genuinely have no idea why these guys go out of their way to pay it forward with their knowledge but they do and it's appreciated.

I'd also love to know how we could deal with free producer's rewrites, prior to turning in the studio draft. It's happened to me, it's happened to friends of mine. We turn in a detailed doc of what the changes are going to be, everyone signs off but then the producer wants more stuff done. It's just such a effed up system, and you don't want to piss people off so you try and be a soldier and work but d-mn.

I just got into the WGA (associates) but I'd like to know more about their process of dealing with abuses. Of course, in regards to the producer's pass, it seems we're rather limited in what we can do. Either do it or walk, I guess.

Comment

Re:

Funny, John and I don't understand why other people *don't* pay it forward.

What else is the point of knowing stuff?

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post

This attitude is why I think you guys rock. Thank you for what you do, it has helped me immensely.

Comment

Re:

Off the top of my head:

1. Because pro writers are busy.
          2. They don't want to put their opinions out there on public record and be responsible for that.
          3. They don't want to be "public" at all.
          4. They get tired of hearing the same questions over and over.
          5. When wide access is granted, there's always "that guy" who takes advantage of it or pushes it too far.
          6. Others don't feel the same responsibility to send the ladder back down.

I'm a huge fan of the podcast and listen to every episode. John and yourself make it seem effortless and I know it isn't. I think it is an amazing service you are providing to those of us who have an interest in screenwriting. Thank you!

Comment

Re:

Nothing to add except that this is incredibly cool.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Bruce Rose View Post
              Off the top of my head:

1. Because pro writers are busy.
              2. They don't want to put their opinions out there on public record and be responsible for that.
              3. They don't want to be "public" at all.
              4. They get tired of hearing the same questions over and over.
              5. When wide access is granted, there's always "that guy" who takes advantage of it or pushes it too far.
              6. Others don't feel the same responsibility to send the ladder back down.

I'm a huge fan of the podcast and listen to every episode. John and yourself make it seem effortless and I know it isn't. I think it is an amazing service you are providing to those of us who have an interest in screenwriting. Thank you!
              Yeah, pretty much spot on. And the podcast, the participation of the pros here as well, it's a real gift. You don't see lawyers online, giving free advice on how to be successful lawyer. Or doctors. I don't know, maybe you do lol. I don't frequent those forums if they exist. Still, it's pretty amazing to have people who are selflessly helping complete strangers avoid or correct mistakes to make their careers - and lives - better! I thought the internet was all evil. I stand corrected. There's actually some good folks out there in the ether.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                Yeah, pretty much spot on. And the podcast, the participation of the pros here as well, it's a real gift. You don't see lawyers online, giving free advice on how to be successful lawyer. Or doctors. I don't know, maybe you do lol. I don't frequent those forums if they exist. Still, it's pretty amazing to have people who are selflessly helping complete strangers avoid or correct mistakes to make their careers - and lives - better! I thought the internet was all evil. I stand corrected. There's actually some good folks out there in the ether.
                Actually, there are plenty of lawyers doing just that - radio talkback, columns in newspapers, pro bono work, and speaking/teaching engagements at universities or public forums (fora?). At least here we do - there's even a free (basic) legal service for artists/writers etc. that works on a volunteer basis.

Not everyone can manage this, but it's more common than we realise, and is really worth it if you can afford the time.
                sigpic

Website
                Tweets
                Book

Comment

Re:

I'm glad you guys get some use out of the show.

It's not that hard for us to do. And people tend to be respectful of our time and boundaries.

Comment

Working...
                  X