Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Jeffrey Katzenberg Thinks You Should Stop Following Your Passion

I'd be curious to see what everyone defines as "skills" required for professional writing. Perhaps that's the disconnect for me. For example, I would include "imagination" on such a list while others may consider it a "talent." Though it may be a talent, it's still a requirement for the job and this makes it a skill, imo. Can imagination be developed with practice along the way to becoming a pro writer? I don't know.

Persuasive communication skills, another. It may seem like a given for writers but I know many who are not good at all communicating with the "suits" who have the power to say yay or nay to them. Many writers can't "sell" themselves to the powers that be. Perhaps this is a skill one can develop but, if so, I wonder why this is difficult for many writers I meet if it's a skill that can be developed with practice.

Or, maybe the commencement address should be, "Follow your talents."
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

There has to be something innate. Either it's the storytelling or the writing quality or a wild imagination or one's ability to observe what others take for granted. I don't think every single aspect of screenwriting can be learned by every screenwriter. You have at least one talent within you already.
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

It's amazing how essentially an off-hand comment by Katzenberg has us debating whether we should dream, what types of skills writing has, or whether hitting it "big" means either collecting a huge payday or just making a career out of what you like doing (and it may not be writing).

If you have a marketable skill where you also have a passion, then good for you. You won't worry about the money you're probably not making and you'll be a very happy person.

If you have a skill, but no passion, welcome to the 70% of us who don't really like our jobs.

If you have passion, but no marketable skill, good luck to you. Keep going and I hope the two traits will eventually meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
          If you have a skill, but no passion, welcome to the 70% of us who don't really like our jobs. If you have passion, but no marketable skill, good luck to you.
          Good luck is right. If you have passion and no marketing skill welcome to the to the millions who are out of work.
          sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Working...
          X