Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Baby" writers?

I truly don't mean to cast aspersions on the author of this article or those quoted in it; she's posted excellent pieces on SSN recently, including links to TV pilot scripts today. And clearly it's very helpful to get an agent's perspective on writers.

But -- "baby writers"? The term is peppered throughout the first part of the article (relating mainly to TV writers). That seems so cringeworthy, and it seems to be used relentlessly by the agents mentioned here.

First, it seems condescending -- and outdated. Maybe younger film school students with a hot first project wouldn't mind being called baby writers. But that hardly describes a lot of new writers entering a diverse marketplace now.

And isn't it disempowering on a subliminal level when it comes to negotiating? Can you really argue for the best deal when someone has been labeled a "baby writer"?

And what does a baby writer grow up into?

http://www.ssninsider.com/screenwrit...iterary-agent/

Re: "baby" writers?

I'm in my late thirties, and I'm still being called a "baby writer." It seems to just mean anyone who hasn't actually made a sale yet.

I can understand how the term might seem infantilizing (they're literally calling us babies), but I don't think it is intended that way.

I think it's better than calling us amateur or aspiring writers. At least baby writer has the implication that we'll eventually grow into adult writers.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
      I'm in my late thirties, and I'm still being called a "baby writer." It seems to just mean anyone who hasn't actually made a sale yet.

I can understand how the term might seem infantilizing (they're literally calling us babies), but I don't think it is intended that way.

I think it's better than calling us amateur or aspiring writers. At least baby writer has the implication that we'll eventually grow into adult writers.
      Actually, unless I've overlooked something, this isn't true. "Baby" writers in television are those at the beginning or perhaps early in their staffing careers. They're the lowest person in seniority on the writing staff, hence "baby."

I guess the term could be applied to features as well (I've not heard it) but the equivalent would be someone on a first assignment or just having made a first option/sale.

Comment

As a great movie once said, "Lighten up, Francis."

If this truly bothers you in any way this industry is not for you. This could not be less important and has no impact on a writer's life.

The only label you should care about is being a paid or non-paid writer.

Comment

This is a very common term for newbie writers. Nothing to get up in arms about.

Comment

Interesting because Pelmont and his colleagues signed me as a baby writer -- never been staffed.

I have since left when one of them left for another company and I followed.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I have bigger issue with "agent-cum-manager" mentioned in the article.

Comment

Thanks for clearing this up. I gather it's a common term used in a specific way in TV, with no negative connotations.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                  Actually, unless I've overlooked something, this isn't true. "Baby" writers in television are those at the beginning or perhaps early in their staffing careers. They're the lowest person in seniority on the writing staff, hence "baby."

I guess the term could be applied to features as well (I've not heard it) but the equivalent would be someone on a first assignment or just having made a first option/sale.
                  Ah, this makes more sense. It's always in reference to television.

Comment

Re: "Baby" writers?

Sometimes when I'm bored, I pry the keys off the keyboard and put them in my mouth. A couple of times I've stuck them up my nose, and once I stuck one up my butt.

Comment

Re: "Baby" writers?

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                      and once a day I stuck one up my butt.
                      If you really like it you can have the rights
                      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
                      X