Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David S. Goyer interview

Interesting interview with screenwriter David S. Goyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a-qhIOZcSw&sns=em

Re: David S. Goyer interview

I found this quite interesting.

But how did Goyer have a successful career if he didn't start by first getting a manager and then waiting for the manager to decide when he was ready for an agent?

If Goyer had a manager to begin with, wouldn't the manager have advised him not to be so persistent in pursuing the agent?

If Goyer had a manager wouldn't the manager have discouraged Goyer from writing Blade on spec when he didn't own the rights?

Too many aspiring writers today think getting a manager is the only way to succeed. They get a manager and then sit back and wait for the manager to get them this great career and more times than not it never happens. Writers are told just focus on continuing to write and let manager do everything else.

While the writer is just writing, he's not out there taking risks, learning from mistakes and gaining valuable industry experience. More and more we are seeing that it takes more than just writing to be successful and those young writers sitting around waiting for managers to make something magical happen for them are not out there learning enough for themselves.

But to each their own. Writers who love having a manager to guide their every move and make sure they don't make any missteps, enjoy your journey as well. The road to success is paved with many failures.

Comment

Why in the world are you trying to make some sort of argument against managers based on assuming a series of outcomes of completely manufactured scenarios involving fictitious or unidentified persons?

And didn't you just finish posting in another thread moaning about posters who change the subject of threads to suit their own agendas?

Beyond bizarre...

Comment

Let's please not drag fights from other threads into new, wholly unrelated ones, okay? Thank you.
        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
          Why in the world are you trying to make some sort of argument against managers based on assuming a series of outcomes of completely manufactured scenarios involving fictitious or unidentified persons?

And didn't you just finish posting in another thread moaning about posters who change the subject of threads to suit their own agendas?

Beyond bizarre...
          My post was about Goyer in this video specifically. And the questions it brought to my mind. Do you have anything to say about the Goyer interview?

Comment

I think someone like David S. Goyer was going to succeed whether he had a manager or not. I don't think having a manager is a bad thing just because some people might have succeeded without one. We really don't know for sure. For me, the main takeaway is how persistent Goyer was starting out and how he wasn't afraid to take risks.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
              My post was about Goyer in this video specifically. And the questions it brought to my mind. Do you have anything to say about the Goyer interview?
              Yes, and I'm going to agree with your scintillating contribution, as I too found it "quite interesting."

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                Yes, and I'm going to agree with your scintillating contribution, as I too found it "quite interesting."
                What about it did you find interesting? In my post I referred to what was thought provoking for me.

Or maybe you have nothing to say about the interview and you are only posting in this thread to show your hatred of me? How can you hate someone you know nothing about? The things I post here have absolutely 100% zero affect on you and your career. So why have so much bitterness? Why do my posts make you angry when they don't have any affect on you? If you think what I post is ridiculous, then other people will see that too and you don't have to worry about my ridiculous posts affecting you or anyone else on this board. Maybe my posts are so bad to you it's laughable. So laugh, but why so bitter? Is it because someone you highly respect who posts here is also very bitter toward my posts and so you follow the leader and become bitter too? Lighten up. It's just open discussion, not follow the leader.

Comment

Take it outside or let it go.

Comment

Working...
                  X