Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith-based WAR ROOM

With the Kendrick Brother's new film, WAR ROOM, averaging almost $10, 000 per screen this weekend, I'd like to take a moment to introduce my new column:

http://www.scriptmag.com/features/cr...ian-filmmaking

Re: Faith-based WAR ROOM

Nice article. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

And if any of you out there are in the Christian filmmaking community, please take a moment to go to
      http://m.facebook.com/PlantsandPilla...antsandPillars
      and click Like if you want to make someone's day at this great program for very young filmmakers.
      Last edited by DangoForth; 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Projections have WAR ROOM as the #1 film this weekend, with only an 18% drop from last weekend. Good news for faith-based filmmakers.

Comment

I really wish more of Hollywood would take a loot at faith-based movies and see it for what it really shows. It's okay to make smaller-budget films focused at specific audiences. Horror gets it. Spend a little on a bunch of movies and you'll come out with a profit. Not everything has to be made for every single movie-goer.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
            I really wish more of Hollywood would take a loot at faith-based movies and see it for what it really shows. It's okay to make smaller-budget films focused at specific audiences. Horror gets it. Spend a little on a bunch of movies and you'll come out with a profit. Not everything has to be made for every single movie-goer.
            Amen.

Perhaps I'm just getting older, but I can appreciate a good film without all the expensive 'stars' and special effects. I have zero interest in another $200m Spider Man do-over.

We've always had some niche movies, but maybe this time the economic framework for the business is changing. If enough revenue can be found in non-theater venues, we'll see more specialty films. The business model for downloads and other direct to household views is improving, but it isn't quite there yet. Regular theater exhibition is still the main money-maker, but we can already picture a day when a lot of content profitably bypasses the cineplex.

Comment

I think you're right in that we're seeing more opportunities for non-traditional-studio films to be made AND released - largely due to the digital revolution. It can be a good thing or bad... The key is to commit to quality production/talent, as was done with WAR ROOM.

Comment

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...liaths/325711/

Comment

DangoForth: I think you're right in that we're seeing more opportunities for non-traditional-studio films to be made AND released - largely due to the digital revolution. It can be a good thing or bad... The key is to commit to quality production/talent.
                  I agree. I am a big believer in this, especially the part about commitment to quality.

By the way, I have saved the links to look at later. Thanks.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Nice piece Dan. My wife took her mother to see it - she's a Sherwood films fan. Said it's Kendrick's best film to date. I appreciate what they are doing there in Y'allywood, but the first few efforts really needed some professional production value. Sounds like they've made some big strides.

I think there will be more Affirm and Fox Faith style efforts coming as these films show that there is a market segment for faith-based films and the cost/profit analysis lets the moneychangers find a reason to believe.

Comment

I will confess that, while I applaud the message contained, a lot of the films I've seen have often been lacking in areas: sometimes writing, or acting or cinematography. It really felt like the Kendricks put every lesson learned from previous films into WAR ROOM. The story was very real with good structure and conflict, the acting was top notch, and the film up on the screen showed experienced hands in every area of the production side.
                      That said, what really gets the attentionof Hollywood is the fact that it is already doing about $60 million in BO on a production budget of just $3 million.

Comment

It has now been in the top ten for SIX STRAIGHT WEEKS...
                        Last edited by DangoForth; 10-06-2015, 04:42 AM. Reason: 1 Corinthians 4:12

Comment

Working...
                        X