Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relativity article

Vulture article (originally from NY Magazine) on the downfall of Relativity. Wow.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/relat...ugh-c-v-r.html

Re: Relativity article

Fascinating article. Thanks for the link. Funny... I actually had a sitcom pilot set up with a production company that had a movie in pre-pro with Relativity. This was two years ago. I remember the producer saying, "Get Ryan Kavanaugh on the phone!" or "I talked with Ryan Kavanaugh yesterday and he said..." His name was always being thrown around and I didn't know who he was. And then suddenly their movie was belly up, but they managed to find another studio to take it on.
    Last edited by grumpywriter; 01-25-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
      I remember the producer saying, "Get Ryan Kavanaugh on the phone!" or "I talked with Ryan Kavanaugh yesterday and he said..." His name was always being thrown around and I didn't know who he was...
      It's almost like everyone liked him for being "good in the room." Give him the keys to the kingdom, stat!!

It's a sad commentary on how people -- even people that should know better, or maybe especially people who should know better -- are so willing to believe hype more than substance.

What a mess. And no one has anyone to blame but themselves for letting it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        It's almost like everyone liked him for being "good in the room." Give him the keys to the kingdom, stat!!

It's a sad commentary on how people -- even people that should know better, or maybe especially people who should know better -- are so willing to believe hype more than substance.

What a mess. And no one has anyone to blame but themselves for letting it happen.
        Very true. But it's such a Hollywood story. Everyone is so manic down there.

"Days before Relativity laid off 75 employees last July, his wife Instragrammed a photo of a new Mercedes with a bow on it that Kavanaugh had just given her. Then, a month after Relativity entered bankruptcy, Kavanaugh got into another legal flap when, as he later explained to the police, he accidentally shot himself in the left calf as he prepared to oil a .44 caliber handgun he owns (a misdemeanor charge was later dismissed)."

I mean -- what can you say to this?? You simply can't invent something more ridiculous...
        Last edited by grumpywriter; 01-26-2016, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I mean -- what can you say to this?? You simply can't invent something more ridiculous...
          This was what got me --

"... Meanwhile, once-lean Relativity had packed on pounds. Every new asset required staff to run. Kavanaugh had three assistants, a private-jet habit, and also a penchant for making lavish gifts to actresses, including leasing a horse for Kate Bosworth for six months so they could ride together and buying a rare, $65,000 edition of The Diary of Anne Frank for Natalie Portman. A dining partner recalls a meal at Ago where Kavanaugh added, to the $3,500 bill, a $20,000 tip. (A Relativity spokesperson denies this.) Kavanaugh's expenses, indulged in good times, were becoming harder to justify..."

Contrary to Gordon Gecko -- greed is NOT good. You need private plane access and THREE assistants to run a company into the ground? This kind of arrogance shouldn't be "indulged in good times..." to begin with. Because it speaks to a lack of character. A lack of awareness. A willingness of a person to seek corruption rather than keeping their head down and actually working to grow the company that is entrusting them with their future earnings. There's zero accountability from anywhere in a situation like this.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
            This was what got me --

"... Meanwhile, once-lean Relativity had packed on pounds. Every new asset required staff to run. Kavanaugh had three assistants, a private-jet habit, and also a penchant for making lavish gifts to actresses, including leasing a horse for Kate Bosworth for six months so they could ride together and buying a rare, $65,000 edition of The Diary of Anne Frank for Natalie Portman. A dining partner recalls a meal at Ago where Kavanaugh added, to the $3,500 bill, a $20,000 tip. (A Relativity spokesperson denies this.) Kavanaugh's expenses, indulged in good times, were becoming harder to justify..."

Contrary to Gordon Gecko -- greed is NOT good. You need private plane access and THREE assistants to run a company into the ground? This kind of arrogance shouldn't be "indulged in good times..." to begin with. Because it speaks to a lack of character. A lack of awareness. A willingness of a person to seek corruption rather than keeping their head down and actually working to grow the company that is entrusting them with their future earnings. There's zero accountability from anywhere in a situation like this.
            Absolutely. Very well said.

By the way Kavanaugh, of course, reacted to the article:

http://deadline.com/2016/01/ryan-kav...on-1201690129/

For me, I think his behavior speaks to more than just greed and irresponsibility - it speaks to undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.

Comment

For me, I think his behavior speaks to more than just greed and irresponsibility - it speaks to undiagnosed and untreated mental illness.
              I wouldn't doubt it.

Seems there are a lot of these types of people around, though. Reminds me of this financial manager of several big stars from ten years back or so.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...aprio-a-697394

I say if your "financial manager" is throwing parties for A list actors and living like a rock star, then he is actually managing to bilk you out of millions of dollars. I'm pretty sure real "financial managers" are busy working late at the office and then maybe going home and having half a glass of wine with dinner and watching ESPN, then going to bed. As they should be.

Comment

He sounds like just another American Psycho. I bet his business card would put Patrick Bateman's to shame.
                Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Want a Mustang?

https://twitter.com/RyanKavanaugh/st...76818078310400
                  @hairingtons

Comment

Working...
                  X