Daily Beast article

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Daily Beast article

    I guess I live under a rock; I had no idea.

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...-people-to-him

  • #2
    Re: Daily Beast article

    Originally posted by figment View Post
    I guess I live under a rock; I had no idea.

    https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...-people-to-him
    yeah, been hearing about it for months. this is pretty shocking, though, as the details are out in the open.
    "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Daily Beast article

      I first became aware of his history with the late 2017 allegations on Twitter. But I had no idea it was that bad.

      It appears his movie "Deeper" is not moving forward as a result, and he's been dropped by his management company.

      His case is interesting. Usually Hollywood ignores your misconduct if you're successful (see Weinstein, Singer, etc.). But in his situation, Hollywood kept rewarding him despite several flops (commercial and critical), even as rumors of misconduct persisted. Fortunately, this may be the nail in the coffin.

      I say "may," of course, because it remains to be seen if this actually derails his career. This town has a tendency to wait until the bad press evaporates before it gets back to not caring.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Daily Beast article

        as more and more women enter as filmmakers and producers i think he (and others like him) will have a tough time. and these allegations will not be easily forgotten or forgiven. that's a character flaw. that person is not going to change. and the way these women speak, if the allegations are true, it wouldn't be surprising to anyone if he actually killed a woman.

        the allegations suggest that he's a sociopath with no feelings of remorse and gets off on humiliation, control, and fear of his victims. you reap what you sow.

        what i find deplorable in these cases is that he didn't HIDE who he was. he was actively and publicly abusing women and NO ONE (or so it seems) stood up to help these women. i often wonder WHY. it's been going on for years. it's dead wrong.

        maybe people better understand the power the audience has to kill a project. maybe men in power understand they have an obligation, and the power, to protect the people they work with. perhaps they, too, have tired of people they care about being abused-- publicly or privately.

        regardless of why, it looks like we are headed down a better path.

        these are all good themes to explore in storytelling. i touch on these social issues in the films i write. the herd. the mob. the flock that mindlessly follows the immoral leader.

        history has shown us how power enables one person to control another. primarily by submission.
        "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist,- Pablo Picasso

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Daily Beast article

          Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          maybe people better understand the power the audience has to kill a project. maybe men in power understand they have an obligation, and the power, to protect the people they work with. perhaps they, too, have tired of people they care about being abused-- publicly or privately.

          regardless of why, it looks like we are headed down a better path.

          I can only hope so.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Daily Beast article

            Originally posted by UpandComing View Post

            Fortunately, this may be the nail in the coffin.

            I say "may," of course, because it remains to be seen if this actually derails his career. This town has a tendency to wait until the bad press evaporates before it gets back to not caring.
            The last part of the article outlines actual rape -- with an eyewitness. So I would hope not. I would hope that the tides start turning and this stuff can be condemned before a decade of abuse -- or decades (Singer, Weinstein. Spacey) is allowed to continue to happen.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Daily Beast article

              Originally posted by figment View Post
              The last part of the article outlines actual rape -- with an eyewitness. So I would hope not. I would hope that the tides start turning and this stuff can be condemned before a decade of abuse -- or decades (Singer, Weinstein. Spacey) is allowed to continue to happen.
              Me too. The fact that he has not publicly commented on the article (not even a half-ass statement saying "certain parts are inaccurate") certainly lends credence to the idea that he knows he's finished.
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Daily Beast article

                I concur completely with the replies here, but it is old news. That's why I'd not offered input earlier.

                We see it a lot with politicians too, like this Sec. of Defense appointee going down right now.

                Maybe we all need to revisit some sort of concept of "conscience". I left my religious attendance behind decades ago, but what I did retain out of it is a sense of conscience that prevents me from doing things in the first place that you can regret seriously, years and decades later.

                It seems somebody's being taught these days to just do what makes you feel good.

                My rule, as a man, especially on this topic? You have to think of those ladies as your daughter, sister, mother, aunt or friend. Would you put up with such crap treatment from some guy, then?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Daily Beast article

                  I heard him once on a podcast a long time ago and he seemed crazy -- like a therapist would diagnosis.

                  Then I heard about him via twitter and got to say he was very interesting. And would listen to him speak about writing and again smart and interesting. And then I heard like a year later about that mary sue thing... and then i would read him make fun of others works and i thought that was honest but weird since he's making work himself.... it was clear he was a jerk but a successful screenwriter so that was the part I was drawn too...

                  Then I heard the first allegations and he got off twitter and he was kicked off his Netflix movie... then I didn't hear a thing until this week.

                  I will note that as a writer, I find joy in getting people to say and do what I want them to say and do, because in real life my own wife doesn't ever respond the way I think she's going to. But my characters do. I can win an argument with my fake wife in my script. Not in real life.

                  I think some creative types are so used to controlling their fictional worlds, that they lose all sense of reality and convince themselves they aren't hurting real people in the real world. These are just actors in a movie in their heads.

                  So people that are pros at controlling fake people are
                  probably very good at controlling real people if they don't see them as people but their play things. Which he obviously did.

                  So what makes some people great at what they do also can make them great at doing terrible things.

                  That or they don't have a soul. Just a theory...

                  Either way, shut him down, kick him out of Hollywood and punch him in the face if he comes near you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Daily Beast article

                    Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    I think some creative types are so used to controlling their fictional worlds, that they lose all sense of reality and convince themselves they aren't hurting real people in the real world. These are just actors in a movie in their heads.
                    That's an interesting theory. Though I feel like his sense of entitlement stemming from his wealth and father's fame may be a bigger factor.

                    BTW, I hope your real wife doesn't know about your fake wife, lol.
                    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Daily Beast article

                      It was just a theory that hit me, trying to figure out the evil man's motivations... but the truth is he's just a bad person and would be a bad person if he was an accountant.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Daily Beast article

                        Originally posted by figment View Post
                        I guess I live under a rock; I had no idea.

                        https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-la...-people-to-him
                        Should have been on this site 6 years ago...

                        http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=63925&page=8

                        Early warning signs there (from his own mouth no less) but the poster who provided the links appears to have gone, taking his posts with him!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Daily Beast article

                          Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                          Should have been on this site 6 years ago...

                          http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...t=63925&page=8

                          Early warning signs there (from his own mouth no less) but the poster who provided the links appears to have gone, taking his posts with him!
                          Well, for pete's sake, I commented on that post and apparently read the articles and linked some. Jeez, my mind must be going.

                          There's too much going on in the world for me to keep track of all the sleeze, I guess. Comforting in an odd way. Ha!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Daily Beast article

                            Don't feel bad, his managers just fired him after the Daily Beast article, because they just became "aware."

                            You can stand by your clients or you can drop them, but don't pretend you didn't know until today. That's the worst PR excuse they all use that drives me nuts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Daily Beast article

                              Originally posted by figment View Post
                              Well, for pete's sake, I commented on that post and apparently read the articles and linked some. Jeez, my mind must be going.

                              There's too much going on in the world for me to keep track of all the sleeze, I guess. Comforting in an odd way. Ha!
                              Lol
                              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X