A New Podcast?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A New Podcast?

    Another thread veered into the realm of podcasts and I posted the following:
    Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
    This might be worthy of a new thread, but for those who would be interested in a podcast aimed at pre-pro screenwriters what would you want it to consist of? As most of you know, I do a bit of podcasting, and am genuinely interested.

    There are already several podcasts that cover craft, business, and some have interviews with working writers. Notable podcasts include but are not limited to:
    What isn't being covered that could be addressed by an existing or new podcast?
    Which was followed by this response:
    Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    In general I'd like to hear:

    -CURRENT war stories fought and won/lost.

    -CURRENT ways people got signed/sold.

    -CURRENT issues with managers and agents for writers on the lower tier.

    -CURRENT producer issues on the lower tier.

    -CURRENT ways repped but lower tier writers rep themselves as well.

    ***CURRENT***

    Etc.

    Maybe just a giant b!tch fest! LOL

    Half joking. Mainly a podcast dealing with issues repped (and perhaps sold, or not) but struggling writers face. This could be done anonymously and not name names, but keep it honest and genuine. I'd prefer it was, at most, writers who only recently got something made. I mean, yeah, it's cool to hear say, guys like Scott Frank etc, but he broke wide so long ago I'm not sure that's relevant to any of us in today's marketplace.

    Thanks for considering doing this! I'd listen to it.

    BTW - I think it's worth starting a new thread to see if others think the concept has legs.
    And then...
    Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    For example: I think an entire episode could be done on docgonzo's latest experience pitching his show. I think that would be hella informative to newly repped writers. Or writers on the verge of getting repped.
    So here we are. What say you?
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

    -Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

  • #2
    Re: A New Podcast?

    Sounds like an interesting take.

    There’s podcasts on craft, there’s podcasts on writing for tv (children of tendu), podcasts dedicated to writers (wga), podcasts that look at managers a lot (bulletproof), and podcasts that look at it all (scriptnotes) but none as far as I know dedicated to sitting with writers/managers/agents/producers and going through actual use cases from beginning to end.

    Could be educational to hear about specific stories and the trials and tribulations involved. Good luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A New Podcast?

      Im'a say it again. I like this idea A LOT!

      I feel like most of the podcasts, especially Scriptnotes, while I dig the show (for me) is way over my head. Not that I don't understand it, just that what they're dealing with (Craig and John) is not even close to what I'm dealing with. I'd like to hear from people more like me, namely sold but not produced, and really dig into their various experiences on specific projects beginning to end. How'd their process begin, what went wrong, what could they have done differently etc? Same with other's: producers, agents, managers.

      I feel like no one is talking about 'the process' beginning to end. Failing vs Winning.

      What is a newer writer really gonna learn from Craig talking about HBO telling him he can do whatever he wants, or John saying he slipped over to Verve? Or talking about how Benioff and Weiss had to reshoot nearly the entire pilot to GoT. For realz??? HBO would never let any of us do that, so how is it relevant?

      I can't do that sh!t. If I go into HBO I'm terrified. I'll do a good meeting, but I'd like to hear from other dudes/chicks in MY situation (Repped but struggling).

      I think there's a lot of us who could tell war stories of "DON'T DO THIS!" That would be far more relevant to writers newly repped or on the verge of being repped.

      I have 2 such stories myself.

      1) Almost getting a show made. I made rookie mistakes and it likely cost me the show. (DON'T DO THAT!)

      2) Being in development hell for a year with a top 5 producer. (DON'T DO THAT!)

      Those are the stories I want to hear. Not just the failures, but also the success stories. I feel it's more relevant for those of us on the cusp.

      I'm sure there's many more "cusp" topics that could be covered.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A New Podcast?

        A few friends of mine have this very concept in the works. I want to say they're planning on recording the first episode next week or the week after? We're exactly at the level you guys are talking about -- rep'd, have stuff actively in development, a few of us have had something produced but we're all struggling to make it and maintain it.

        Gucci (and anyone else), feel free to DM me if you feel like you have anything to offer (thoughts, ideas, stories, etc) and I'm happy to pass it along/try to connect you with the friends who are taking the lead on this. I agree, there is definitely space for a podcast like this and I think it could be hugely helpful to other writers in similar stages of our careers. I've been pushing them to get the ball rolling, so I'm excited that there appears to be a hunger for this sort of thing!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A New Podcast?

          Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
          A few friends of mine have this very concept in the works. I want to say they're planning on recording the first episode next week or the week after?
          If your friends want or need any podcasting advice I'd be happy to talk to them about anything, recording, editing, hosting, etc. DM me for contact info.

          __________________

          I'm assuming that most people here are interested in feature advice/stories. The Paper Team podcast does an excellent job of covering the TV space when it comes to breaking in. The feature side is changing and seems to be becoming more challenging. Producers seem to want either low to ultra-low budget scripts, or fantastic IP with millions of fans. An area that doesn't seem to be covered too much in podcasts is writing the short script. There are lots of filmmakers making short films, but struggling to find good scripts. That's what I've been noticing.

          HTH,
          Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

          -Steve Trautmann
          3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A New Podcast?

            you know what i'd really like to know?

            from a manager's point of view, i'd like to know what it is that various managers think they bring to the table for a writer. instead of hearing about a manager's take on how you [a writer] GETS a manager.

            i want to know how to chose a manager that will work for the writer and the writer's goals and what the challenges and failings that can come from that relationship when a writer and manager don't agree on the material that should be worked on next.

            furthermore, i'd like to understand how managers maintain open channels of communication and how much or how little or much story dev a manager gets involved with.

            even if it means that manager is interviewed on an anonymous basis. i'd like to know they feel are their biggest challenges working with writers and how do they work through them.

            do they ever deliberately ignore their writer clients? do they feel the writer expectations are too high? how do they temper that with realistic goals? i'd like to know what they feel are good writers to work with and why and what kind of writer is a pain in the as$.

            sorry, i might have rambled a bit.

            FA4
            "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
            Hollywood producer

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A New Podcast?

              Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
              A few friends of mine have this very concept in the works. I want to say they're planning on recording the first episode next week or the week after? We're exactly at the level you guys are talking about -- rep'd, have stuff actively in development, a few of us have had something produced but we're all struggling to make it and maintain it.

              Gucci (and anyone else), feel free to DM me if you feel like you have anything to offer (thoughts, ideas, stories, etc) and I'm happy to pass it along/try to connect you with the friends who are taking the lead on this. I agree, there is definitely space for a podcast like this and I think it could be hugely helpful to other writers in similar stages of our careers. I've been pushing them to get the ball rolling, so I'm excited that there appears to be a hunger for this sort of thing!
              I'll DM you. Off the top of my head I think I have two stories that, when drawn out, could be helpful cautionary tales to newer writers. It's clear to me that a few other writers here have stories that I'd like to hear as well. Tell me the REAL story, let's get into the gristle of it all. Again, I believe it'd be best if the writers and all involved were left anonymous (not relevant who it is IMO), as we cannot out ourselves talking sh!t on people, but I'd much rather hear the true story.
              Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A New Podcast?

                Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
                If your friends want or need any podcasting advice I'd be happy to talk to them about anything, recording, editing, hosting, etc. DM me for contact info.

                __________________

                I'm assuming that most people here are interested in feature advice/stories. The Paper Team podcast does an excellent job of covering the TV space when it comes to breaking in. The feature side is changing and seems to be becoming more challenging. Producers seem to want either low to ultra-low budget scripts, or fantastic IP with millions of fans. An area that doesn't seem to be covered too much in podcasts is writing the short script. There are lots of filmmakers making short films, but struggling to find good scripts. That's what I've been noticing.

                HTH,
                Thanks Steve! The offer is much appreciated. I'll let my friends know it's there and will definitely reach out if they're interested.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A New Podcast?

                  Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  you know what i'd really like to know?

                  from a manager's point of view, i'd like to know what it is that various managers think they bring to the table for a writer. instead of hearing about a manager's take on how you [a writer] GETS a manager.

                  i want to know how to chose a manager that will work for the writer and the writer's goals and what the challenges and failings that can come from that relationship when a writer and manager don't agree on the material that should be worked on next.

                  furthermore, i'd like to understand how managers maintain open channels of communication and how much or how little or much story dev a manager gets involved with.

                  even if it means that manager is interviewed on an anonymous basis. i'd like to know they feel are their biggest challenges working with writers and how do they work through them.

                  do they ever deliberately ignore their writer clients? do they feel the writer expectations are too high? how do they temper that with realistic goals? i'd like to know what they feel are good writers to work with and why and what kind of writer is a pain in the as$.

                  sorry, i might have rambled a bit.

                  FA4
                  Sometimes rambled stream of consciousness is good. These are sensible questions. That would be a good episode... but...

                  ...You have to consider that not all managers function the same and not all writers function the same. So, it's going to be slightly different answers for everyone.

                  Example: if your manager used to be an agent, the truth is, they normally have zero 'story experience' other than what they've learned along the way. Most went to law school etc. That's going to be a much different manager than someone who went to film school and aspired to be a writer director.

                  So, the question becomes: What are YOU looking for in a manager, someone to deep develop or someone to hard sell? IMO it's difficult to find a manager who excels in both. Not that they don't exist.

                  (MORE)

                  My ex is a manager now. The truth is *I* taught *her* story WHILE she was already an agent. I wasn't even a writer at the time. But, once I was, I took her to school. Her notes suck-ass (generally) she misses A LOT, but people like her, she's good at selling. People return her calls. I've never seen her ghosted.

                  However, this is a lesson I taught her WAY back. "BE FUKKING NICE!" She built a career off that. It IS possible to be liked in this industry and she's perfected that. And it works.

                  Point: I'd want my reps to be highly liked (and known for great taste). Because people will get to their client's material quicker and not ghost.

                  ALSO: This way your stuff is FAR more likely to be read by THE DUDE (guy/chick) in charge. That's one thing I notice about when I was repped by my ex, the BOSS read it. I didn't go downstairs first for coverage. I miss that part now. Seems like the kids are reading my sh!t and I don't trust them to 'get' what good looks like, as they are hella risk averse (where their bosses aren't that extrema about it) and it seems like the kids only like BIO pics about nostalgic sh!t.

                  ...More rambling tossed into the pile of words.
                  Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A New Podcast?

                    Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    Sometimes rambled stream of consciousness is good. These are sensible questions. That would be a good episode... but...

                    ...You have to consider that not all managers function the same and not all writers function the same. So, it's going to be slightly different answers for everyone.

                    Example: if your manager used to be an agent, the truth is, they normally have zero 'story experience' other than what they've learned along the way. Most went to law school etc. That's going to be a much different manager than someone who went to film school and aspired to be a writer director.

                    So, the question becomes: What are YOU looking for in a manager, someone to deep develop or someone to hard sell? IMO it's difficult to find a manager who excels in both. Not that they don't exist.

                    (MORE)

                    My ex is a manager now. The truth is *I* taught *her* story WHILE she was already an agent. I wasn't even a writer at the time. But, once I was, I took her to school. Her notes suck-ass (generally) she misses A LOT, but people like her, she's good at selling. People return her calls. I've never seen her ghosted.

                    However, this is a lesson I taught her WAY back. "BE FUKKING NICE!" She built a career off that. It IS possible to be liked in this industry and she's perfected that. And it works.

                    Point: I'd want my reps to be highly liked (and known for great taste). Because people will get to their client's material quicker and not ghost.

                    ALSO: This way your stuff is FAR more likely to be read by THE DUDE (guy/chick) in charge. That's one thing I notice about when I was repped by my ex, the BOSS read it. I didn't go downstairs first for coverage. I miss that part now. Seems like the kids are reading my sh!t and I don't trust them to 'get' what good looks like, as they are hella risk averse (where their bosses aren't that extrema about it) and it seems like the kids only like BIO pics about nostalgic sh!t.

                    ...More rambling tossed into the pile of words.
                    i think my comments are more directed at undertanding the differences between different managers and what their management style is, because i do understand that managers are going to vary quite a bit.

                    the problem i have is that i don't know any of these managers personally, so i do not know their style and whether they are compatible with mine, so i'm querying blind.

                    i don't feel comfortable asking writers here that i don't know who their managers are or what their style is, so for me, i'd like to know a little more about the managers that speak on podcasts and such.

                    i could be just missing the right podcasts, actually, so it anyone knows any good ones relating to this topic i'd appreciate the shout out.

                    thanks. FA4
                    "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
                    Hollywood producer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A New Podcast?

                      Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                      i think my comments are more directed at undertanding the differences between different managers and what their management style is, because i do understand that managers are going to vary quite a bit.

                      the problem i have is that i don't know any of these managers personally, so i do not know their style and whether they are compatible with mine, so i'm querying blind.

                      i don't feel comfortable asking writers here that i don't know who their managers are or what their style is, so for me, i'd like to know a little more about the managers that speak on podcasts and such.

                      i could be just missing the right podcasts, actually, so it anyone knows any good ones relating to this topic i'd appreciate the shout out.

                      thanks. FA4
                      Gotcha. Yeah, this town seems that way, eh? Info is hidden. Nobody wants us to know sh!t... nor each other.

                      I'd just google the person and learn what I can find out. Best way to know if you're a fit: Send your stuff out, if they dig it, you know they at least relate to you on the page. From there... meet them, do you click?

                      Ps... I would look up what they've sold. That can tell you something about their taste. Take my ex for example: most of the stuff she's known for is dark "chick-lit." If you (whomever) have a broad comedy, she definitely ain't the one, she won't 'get it'. You got a story of a dark, troubled chick who does fukked up **** to people, yup, that's up her alley and moves her needle.

                      In short: look up their sales and client list if you can find it.
                      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A New Podcast?

                        Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        i think my comments are more directed at undertanding the differences between different managers and what their management style is, because i do understand that managers are going to vary quite a bit.

                        the problem i have is that i don't know any of these managers personally, so i do not know their style and whether they are compatible with mine, so i'm querying blind.

                        i don't feel comfortable asking writers here that i don't know who their managers are or what their style is, so for me, i'd like to know a little more about the managers that speak on podcasts and such.

                        i could be just missing the right podcasts, actually, so it anyone knows any good ones relating to this topic i'd appreciate the shout out.

                        thanks. FA4
                        Scripts & Scribes has a ton of episodes with managers (including mine and Gucci's!) That might be a good way to get a sense of who they are and how they operate. It's not a complete picture, of course, but you can at least familiarize yourself with them, though some of the episodes are older and might not be as reflective of who they are now.

                        http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/cat...gentsmanagers/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A New Podcast?

                          Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                          Scripts & Scribes has a ton of episodes with managers (including mine and Gucci's!) That might be a good way to get a sense of who they are and how they operate. It's not a complete picture, of course, but you can at least familiarize yourself with them, though some of the episodes are older and might not be as reflective of who they are now.

                          http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/cat...gentsmanagers/
                          thanks, docgonzo, Adam Kolbrenner was up first and a very good interview. i like that manager. he seems like he's a good manager. for some reason i couldn't get any of the other episodes to play on my phone. will check them out on my laptop. maybe it's an iphone glitch.

                          anyway, great interview with AK.
                          "Reserving rights to comment and make changes."
                          Hollywood producer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A New Podcast?

                            Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            thanks, docgonzo, Adam Kolbrenner was up first and a very good interview. i like that manager. he seems like he's a good manager. for some reason i couldn't get any of the other episodes to play on my phone. will check them out on my laptop. maybe it's an iphone glitch.

                            anyway, great interview with AK.
                            I agree with docgonzo. Yup, our manager is on there, he does a pretty clear job of explaining exactly what he's looking for and why.

                            Plus I like Kevin. Shout out to Kevin!

                            Ps... I've told our manager I've seen his interview and liked it. He basically said that much has changed for him since and would do it a bit differently now. Meaning, he's learned a lot since and has adjusted. That's relevant. I think he should do another one. Dig the guy! Smart. Great notes IMO!
                            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A New Podcast?

                              That podcast and spending way too much time reading hacked Sony emails were my two biggest resources in understanding the business side of things. Currently, Todd Garner’s podcast is a helluva resource as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X