X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrick
    replied
    Re: Best books on producing?

Don't think I have ever listened to a podcast before, but this seems really interesting. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Leave a comment:

• Satriales
    replied

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
    Not a book, but a really good resource is Todd Garner's Producer's Guide Podcast.

HTH,
    Really bummed it has ended. Absurdly helpful.

Leave a comment:

• KitchonaSteve
    replied

Not a book, but a really good resource is Todd Garner's Producer's Guide Podcast.

HTH,

Leave a comment:

• TigerFang
    replied

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
    I highly recommend writers read as many books on production as they can, even just 1 or 2. It's already clear after 100 pages of a single book why and how producers make the decisions they do. And it would make any rejection less painful understanding that representing a film is a big and difficult commitment for a producer.

And for sure knowing production tools and techniques will enhance your writing.

My two cents.
    Concur.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

I highly recommend writers read as many books on production as they can, even just 1 or 2. It's already clear after 100 pages of a single book why and how producers make the decisions they do. And it would make any rejection less painful understanding that representing a film is a big and difficult commitment for a producer.

And for sure knowing production tools and techniques will enhance your writing.

My two cents.

Leave a comment:

• TigerFang
    replied

"He laughs best that laughs last.- - Aesop's Fable The Heifer and the Ox

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Haha, finally got me laughing on that one. Thanks man. Wound up getting 17 in total, actually. Waiting for em to come in.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Even when he orders books he goes over the page count. Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Just ordered 12 books on producing. Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• Merrick
    replied

Thanks all! Sorry for my delay in reply, work got heavy for a couple weeks.

I deal with contracts and financing (in part) in my other job, so it's not that daunting.

Did some internet searches earlier and found references of my own. I was just looking for personal recommendations, but I'm willing to read whatever if it gets me to the end goal of inspiring and understanding. I have no problem to jumpstart this myself, and wrapping my brain around technical business concepts is no issue at all.

I will check out the books (and links) recommended.

Not looking to do the lone gunman thing, but I realize if I start to lift this thing off the ground, it will get more and more attractive to established people.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

I'm not even looking to be Kevin Smith anymore that way. I would like to make a feature film based on a script I wrote. I don't have to be director. But I'm tired of waiting for it to happen, so i got to get moving and make friends.

It's not the money as much as the desire...

Leave a comment:

• Rantanplan
    replied

A few years ago I wrote/directed/produced an 8-minute short hoping it would attract interest for the feature script (it did not). I had an absolute blast making it, total creative high, so I signed up for a seminar on how to produce indie films, thinking maybe I might want to try to produce the feature myself. And boy was that depressing. The guy who taught it had produced a talky indie romcom I liked a lot, but when he explained the process of begging for money, I realized that part was not for me. I really admire people who can do that.

That said, with all the different technological, distribution and fundraising options nowadays, maybe things have gotten easier, I don't know. I guess theoretically someone could shoot a feature on their iPhone, post it on YouTube, get millions of hits, sit back and wait for Hollywood to call.

Leave a comment:

• Bono
    replied

Read all the books you can. You're really trying to make an indie film so that will open up so many more books.

Been awhile since I read these (when I still had hopes and dreams to make my own stuff - but now I'm lazy as hell!)

Like writing or anything else, I read 100 books on these and haven't done it yet. Until you try to actually produce, only thing will you learn how to do it. Filmmaking you learn by doing. I just made myself depressed thinking back to me and college and where I am now. Oh boy...

https://www.amazon.com/Reel-Deal-Eve...9600355&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Produce-Your-...EF898V2K91ZDBH

Leave a comment:

• Done Deal Pro
    replied

Most everything I know comes from having worked for producers and directors on features or of late from helping indie directors & producers with their films.

But that said, these are older books I ended up with somehow, which should probably still help some; though surely there is info which is dated. For the overall price of each though, they could be worth a try. (Obviously, check out TigerFang's links too.)

https://www.amazon.com/Producing-Fin...9548941&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/So-You-Want-B...s%2C283&sr=8-1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X