Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Magazine?

Which magazines do you think are essential for a screenwriter?

harpers
    new yorker
    the sun
    iowa review
    zoetrope:all-story
    mcsweeny's
    paris review

Comment

harpers
      new yorker
      the sun
      iowa review
      zoetrope:all-story
      mcsweeny's
      paris review

Good answers. When I first read the question I only considered screenwriting magazines. I was going to say that I didn't consider any of them truly essential. Nice to have, fun, sometimes, but not essential. Creative Screenwriting gets my vote for relevance and information density.

Maybe there is one essential magazine, but it's not a screenwriting magazine, and it's not a highbrow lit mag. It's (wait for it)...

The National Enquirer!

Why? Because this rag specializes in attention grabbing stories that appeal to the general public,in simple direct language. It's the bible of the celebrity culture and it's ever present shadow,the culture of scandal. It's lurid,it's cheap, it's good dirty fun. And the assorted loons, dope fiends, satyrs, and egomaniacs are the people you'll be working with (for) if you ever make it as a Hollyweird screenwriter.

Comment

Thanks

---Amin

Comment

Interesting answers from clucky.

The ideas that became Saturday Night Fever and the TV show "Taxi" were articles in The New Yorker. Not that you should read it only to get ideas.

Comment

Actually, I think the idea for the TV show Taxi was based off of the movie Taxi Driver. I could've sworn I heard the creators talk about this...

Comment

Then the creators obviously don't remember.

Comment

Working...
              X