What to do about contest result anxiety?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about contest result anxiety?

I'm a current Nicholl Fellowship semi-finalist -- caught in that no-man's limbo of uncertain outcome. It seems like an opportunity for Zen-like awakening: "Ahh... so much attachment, so little control." But the reality is I'm kind of obsessing. Any recommendations for how I should manage this inner turmoil?

Re: What to do about contest result anxiety?

Write!

Comment

I've never made it that far. Feel my sympathy.

kullervo

Comment

Have you considered taking up drinking?
        The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Drinking? Now that's a novel idea. Much better than the all the chocolate I've been gorging myself with.
          Last edited by Les; 09-29-2005, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Margaritas!
            my webpage
            my blog

Comment

go see your local hardware guy and buy a good chainsaw. cut a load of wood big enough to last through a cold winter. take it home and split it and stack it.

good thing to do this time of year and it will take your mind off of other things. have to be mindful when using a chainsaw, you see. zen thing, too, focusing on the task at hand and living in the moment and all of that. of course if you don't have a need for firewood, i guess you could do what pooks said, etc. that's good, too.

i've never done well in any contests. the only one i ever entered was one on this board with no prizes or anything like that. just for fun. if i recall correctly, i think i came in second to last. i would have tied for last but of course i voted for my own work and that made all the difference.

good luck.

Comment

Don't worry, be happy? Nah, I like the chainsaw thing more.

Comment

There's nothing you can do...I was a finalist in the Nickelodeon fellowship this week (down to 6) and didn't get picked. I was/am completely devastated and I hate the idea of you holding onto any type of anxiety and urge you to have the next thing ready, whatever it may be...These people are HEARTLESS...

Comment

You have my sympathy Les. The worst thing is knowing it comes as a phone call. Everytime the phone goes I jump. And of course the anxiety lasts from now until end first week in October doesn't help stress levels at all. It would help to know when the phone calls go out, then you'd only have to suffer that one day.

But then I remind myself hey, it's still a semi finalist result, something to be proud of. Craft gets you this far, but I think luck carries you the rest of the way. As they say 7 people have to like it. That's a tall order.

Cornelius

Comment

Interesting. I'm a semifinalist having a bit of anxiety too but i didn't know the next round came as a phone call. thanks for incapacitating me entirely. I've been chatting up the postman for no reason whatsoever. i don't even like Dharma and Greg.

Comment

Yeah. The phone ringing/jumping thing kinda sucks. I guess (trying to be philosophical about this, here), this anxiety is probably a good thing to master given the fickle nature of this industry. I wonder if this process gets easier the more one goes through it? Just knowing other people struggle with it is consoling. I don't mean I'm happy others are struggling. I mean I'm glad to discover that what I'm feeling is more-or-less normal.

jmgogdog, yes to writing. It would be great to able sublimate all that nervous energy into creativity. I'm working on it.

In the meantime, I'm off to buy a chain saw.

Comment

My advice? Stay off the internet. Seriously. If you think you're anxious now, wait till you see a thread titled "Nicholl letters are out."
                          ==========

Comment

Have you considered piracy? You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.
                            "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

To-Do List for Nicholl semi-finalists:

1. Make another pass (or six) on your semi-fi script. You want it to be in the best shape possible when the read requests start coming in. (You'll get at least a few even if you don't advance past the SF level.) It'll also be easier to get peer feedback on places like Zoetrope if you mention that it's a Nicholl SF script; take advantage of this.

2. Polish any and all other scripts you have on hand, so when you're asked "what else do you have?" you'll have something to show.

3. Come up with a list of 10 great titles and loglines, and be ready to pitch them.

4. Start a new script, so you'll be able to answer the question, "what are you working on now?" Also, you'll have something new to enter in NEXT year's Nicholl.

5. Figure out how you're going to promote your SF status (if you haven't already). Who can you call/email? (You can do this whether or not you advance. In fact, the time to promote your SF status is BEFORE the finalists are announced. You can always follow up with "I made the finals!!!" later.)

6. Do some research to figure out when the deadlines are for the next contest(s) you want to enter. Put this in your calendar. Plan which scripts you're going to submit and whether you can have a new one ready in time.

7. Make sure your phone and answering machine or voice mail are working. Do not check this more than once an hour. Consider investing in call-waiting if you don't have voice mail.

8. Watch all the movies that are out now and follow the box office and script sales so that you'll be able to engage in informed chit chat when you take meetings. Take advantage of a free short-term subscription to Variety and read all the movie news for a week, or at least sign up for the free headline service (ditto for the New York Times movie bulletin). (Even if you don't get meetings you'll still be better informed.)

9. Keep busy. Start a diet and exercise program so you look great when you arrive in LA. If it's too late for that, get a haircut. Avoid long walks on the beach, cross-country drives, and any other activities involving excessive introspection.

10. Buy a lottery ticket every week so that you'll have something else to fantasize about.

LauriD
                              (2004 Nicholl semi-fi)
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X